Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Software monitoring and UAD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351918)

Sam C 03-05-2014 05:19 PM

Software monitoring and UAD

So I'm trying to get my head around the UAD Console software included with my new Apollo Twin...first thing it asks me to do is turn off software monitoring in PT.

How do I do this?

Also, any advice on getting my head around using UAD Console for recording in PT?

Many thanks.

Phil Ogden 03-06-2014 02:48 AM

Re: Software monitoring and UAD

Simply mute the record enabled track. This prevents you hearing both the input signal direct from the Twin and a slightly delayed input signal from Pro Tools which often sounds like slap back. If you need to punch in, use a new audio track.

Sam C 03-06-2014 06:28 AM

Thanks Phil.

BillytheB 03-06-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam C (Post 2137978)
So I'm trying to get my head around the UAD Console software included with my new Apollo Twin...first thing it asks me to do is turn off software monitoring in PT.

How do I do this?

Also, any advice on getting my head around using UAD Console for recording in PT?

Many thanks.

There is no way to turn off input monitoring on an armed track in Pro Tools. If you're coming from another DAW this will take a bit of time to accept but it's just the way it is. For the most part it's only a minor hassle. It basically means you will have to set up punch in/out ahead of time by deleting the part you want to replace in the original track and the recording the punch on a second track. Once you get the take you want to can drag it to the original as the replacement. Definitely not the best situation if you work on a console or in your case a virtual console but it's just the way it is.

Does the UAD print the processing when you record into PT or does it just apply it to the signal for monitoring while allowing you to record an unprocessed wave?

Sam C 03-06-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillytheB (Post 2138241)
Does the UAD print the processing when you record into PT or does it just apply it to the signal for monitoring while allowing you to record an unprocessed wave?

Your choice.

mesaone 03-06-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillytheB (Post 2138241)
There is no way to turn off input monitoring on an armed track in Pro Tools.

There are a few ways. One global, two local.
  • Some interfaces will do this with the Low-Latency Monitoring (the driver control panel "steals" record-armed track monitoring duties from Pro Tools)
  • Mute the track
  • Un-check "Link Record and Play Faders" in preferences, and then turn the record fader down.

Sam C 03-06-2014 02:19 PM

Yeah, mute the track in record mode has worked perfectly.

Thanks guys.

WarrenG 03-07-2014 12:12 AM

Sam: there's another way. If you use the TriTone MuteTone plugin this can do the muting automatically for you. Plugin is €1 but there's a bug in the FakeHUI IAC driver which may cause bouncing to disk to crash if you do this in real time rather than offline. It's easy to remove FakeHUI from your peripheral list though - I only enable this when I'm tracking with the Apollo.

BillytheB 03-07-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2138282)
There are a few ways. One global, two local.
  • Some interfaces will do this with the Low-Latency Monitoring (the driver control panel "steals" record-armed track monitoring duties from Pro Tools)
  • Mute the track
  • Un-check "Link Record and Play Faders" in preferences, and then turn the record fader down.

Wow! Where was this tip when I was trying to figure this out a few months ago. Better late than never. Fantastic!

Sam C 03-07-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenG (Post 2138422)
Sam: there's another way. If you use the TriTone MuteTone plugin this can do the muting automatically for you. Plugin is €1 but there's a bug in the FakeHUI IAC driver which may cause bouncing to disk to crash if you do this in real time rather than offline. It's easy to remove FakeHUI from your peripheral list though - I only enable this when I'm tracking with the Apollo.

Thanks Warren, I'll check that out.