Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   midi instrument track grayed out...??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=269005)

gamblor 03-09-2010 08:01 PM

midi instrument track grayed out...???

for some reason some of my 'instrument' tracks are gray in the edit window. and midi info on them will not play back. if i put the track in record enable i get sound. or copy midi to a regular midi track and have it control the instrument track.
happened during a session. seemingly all of a sudden.

did i hit something by accident? a keystroke to toggle between active and inactive?
i did check the 'make active/inactive' button. track is supposedly active.

???

crizdee 03-09-2010 11:46 PM

Re: midi instrument track grayed out...???

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblor (Post 1569284)
for some reason some of my 'instrument' tracks are gray in the edit window. and midi info on them will not play back. if i put the track in record enable i get sound. or copy midi to a regular midi track and have it control the instrument track.
happened during a session. seemingly all of a sudden.

did i hit something by accident? a keystroke to toggle between active and inactive?
i did check the 'make active/inactive' button. track is supposedly active.

???

Hi,

Sounds like the track has lost it routing to the instrument it was playing!!

With "instrument view" on you will be able to re-connect its midi routing to the instrument its playing.

Chris

Mt.Everest 03-10-2010 12:12 AM

That one gets me pretty often! I always forget the " Instrument View " option and I pull my hair out for a few min till I have the lightbulb moment. ha.

tonwurm 03-10-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 1569360)
Hi,

Sounds like the track has lost it routing to the instrument it was playing!!

With "instrument view" on you will be able to re-connect its midi routing to the instrument its playing.

Chris

but it seems to be strange to me, that he can hear the (I assume correct sound) if he makes the track record-active

meech 03-10-2010 07:54 AM

This is an incredibly annoying PT8 bug that happens to me almost every time I make an inactive instrument track active. What you need to do is pull up the inst view in the mix window, and then choose the appropriate midi channel to send your midi to, probably channel one. I've contacted tech support a couple times since 7.4 but PT 8 didn't fix it, it just added more annoying little bugs.

jeremyroberts 03-10-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 1569383)
but it seems to be strange to me, that he can hear the (I assume correct sound) if he makes the track record-active

If the default thru instrument is set in user prefs, it could route to the default through instrument when selected or record-ready. Nothing unusual about this.

gamblor 03-15-2010 07:14 PM

cool.
'instrument view' did it. thanks!
wow, never used that before. up til recently i've only done live instruments. no midi... except for a click track or something...

Arseen 09-29-2010 11:02 PM

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new at this. Where do I find this "instrument view"?
Obviously, I'm having the same problem with the midi track being grayed out.

tonwurm 09-30-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arseen (Post 1675203)
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new at this. Where do I find this "instrument view"?
Obviously, I'm having the same problem with the midi track being grayed out.

in the lower left corner of the mixer-window you find a menu to configurate the mixer view. check 'instrument', then you´ll see in top of the instrument channel-strip a section for selecting the midi-channel

Arseen 09-30-2010 08:01 AM

Thank you tonwurn! That did it, i can work now.