Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bouncing to disk (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=184020)

melodic777 12-10-2006 07:23 PM

Bouncing to disk

Is WAV the windows equivalent of AIFF on MAC? ANd if so, is that the file I send to a user with a Mac if I am doing tracks for someone using a mac as I am using PC?

Also, I started working on my own cd, and when bouncing to MP3, WAV, Or AIFF, the sound is nothing close to the sound when I am listening back through my monitors with my session open.

So it came out too bassy, and I would basically have to totally guess if I eq'd it right and then spend 5 minutes bouncing hoping it will sound right? That pisses me off, so what am I doing wrong because one would think that is retarded and that I should hear a bounced version that sounds just like the session.......please help!

~Randy

johnwayne 12-10-2006 07:33 PM

Re: Bouncing to disk

Assuming you are recording in 24 bit, you are listening to a 24 bit file in Pro Tools. When you bounce down I'm assuming this is to 16 you are losing all that Data.

If you are sending tracks to be worked on don't add any effects and don't bounce down. Take the file you want to send that is recorded in 24 bit from the audio files in your folder of your project. This ensures nothing is lost.

melodic777 12-10-2006 07:57 PM

Thanks for your response, but being dumb at recording, I am having a hard time understanding. How can I make the MP3 (I know it won't sound exactly the same), but how can I bounce to MP3 and have it sound atleast like the mix? Is there a way to send it to 24 bit?

melodic777 12-10-2006 08:03 PM

just looked at my settings as I went to bounce it to disc and see........"resolution" is set for 24 for WAV file and that's the highest that goes. I don't have a choice at all for MP3 but I can up the sample rate, although I don't know what that would do.

What about Sample rate? Mine is on 44.1

dmm 12-10-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

So it came out too bassy, and I would basically have to totally guess if I eq'd it right and then spend 5 minutes bouncing hoping it will sound right? That pisses me off, so what am I doing wrong because one would think that is retarded and that I should hear a bounced version that sounds just like the session.......please help!

~Randy

The sound difference between the session (mine are usually at 24/48) and the bounce are very much different.

This is where getting someone else with an objective set of ears to master is so very necessary.

melodic777 12-10-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

~Randy

The sound difference between the session (mine are usually at 24/48) and the bounce are very much different.

This is where getting someone else with an objective set of ears to master is so very necessary.

I don't think you're understanding me. It isn't that I'm not happy with the sound as a finished product. What I'm not happy with is that when I bounce something down to share with someone else so they can start writing parts to it on their own time using Mp3 so I can email it to them, the bounce is far far different than the session. Do you guys bounce it to WMF? That gives me a choice to use 24. When I say too bassy, I don't mean the bass is a little too loud. I mean that on the session everything is eq'd right, and then the friggin bounced version makes my regular speakers want to crumble.

dmm 12-10-2006 08:32 PM

No bro,

I meant that I completely understand what you are talking about.

I've had clients sitting with me during the bounce that that couldn't wait until they heard the song in I-Tunes to hear what it was really going to sound like.

The difference in resoultion from a higher sample rate is huge.

johnwayne 12-11-2006 04:12 AM

Just tell the person your working with that this is a rough mix you're sending them. Then after averything is finished send him the final product. He will be amazed at how far it has come.

puremusic 12-11-2006 04:40 AM

Are you playing trough PT when listen to the 24 bit 44 khz file?
Maybe it can differ if you use like Windows Media Player.

Import the file into PT and listen to it so you are shure the app is´nt coloring the song.

Peter

melodic777 12-12-2006 10:38 AM

does anyone hear ever bounce something down as a reference for any purpose where it atleast comes out sounding similar to the rough mix. I understand how Mp3 is gonna have less integrity, but not that much less to the point where it sounds inaudible. There has to be someone here who has used PT to bounce down to a listenable reference using any media player.

A friend of mine who has gone to school for recording told me that what is bounced down should sound like the session within reason without having to re-eq everything in order to have a stupid reference. Besides, you would have to guess in order to master it at this rate because you don't know how it will sound once bounced so everything is supposed to be guesswork? This makes no sense.