Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Syncing imported audio clips (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411288)

EVaschon 07-25-2020 01:06 PM

Syncing imported audio clips

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
I've been trying to sync an incredibly simple snare drum roll that is in 1/16th beat tempo to my existing project and everything that I read and find on YouTube tells me how to sync the ("track") to the music clip. Isn't that backwards? I want to sync the music clip to the existing track, not the other way around. If I do that, I'll be re-syncing the entire project to each and every new music clip I import. Surely, that can't be right.

I have tried the stupid "Beat Detector" (which seems to do nothing). I've watch the same stupid YouTube videos over and over, carefully trying to make certain that I haven't forgot a step and the end result is always the same - friggin nothing happens! This is my third weekend in a row just trying to figure out this one stupid thing. Can anyone help me since 90% of the time I will be importing pre-recorded instrument clips into Pro Tools and trying to sync them rather than trying to play every instrument.

Led 07-25-2020 04:19 PM

Re: Syncing imported audio clips

You can use the tempo grid - put the snapping into slip mode, zoom in on the roll wav and trim the head right up to the very first audio, click on the clip and hit X. Put your snapping into grid mode, click at the beat you want the snare and hit V.

If it's not spot on, or isn't a tempo dependent thing just put the snapping into slip mode, and zoom in and move the clip around with the mouse till it sounds right. You can also set the nudge value up in the time display window to say 10 milliseconds and use < and > to nudge it earlier or later, then when it's really close change the nudge value to 1 millisecond to really fine tune.
Go by ear, things can look right and sound wrong.

EVaschon 08-04-2020 06:03 PM

Re: Syncing imported audio clips

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 2573517)
You can use the tempo grid - put the snapping into slip mode, zoom in on the roll wav and trim the head right up to the very first audio, click on the clip and hit X. Put your snapping into grid mode, click at the beat you want the snare and hit V.

If it's not spot on, or isn't a tempo dependent thing just put the snapping into slip mode, and zoom in and move the clip around with the mouse till it sounds right. You can also set the nudge value up in the time display window to say 10 milliseconds and use < and > to nudge it earlier or later, then when it's really close change the nudge value to 1 millisecond to really fine tune.
Go by ear, things can look right and sound wrong.

Andy, thank you for your response. I do appreciate it.