Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Lynx Aurora 16 Or UA Apollo 16 Silver (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406917)

sonicpalace 10-26-2019 10:17 AM

Lynx Aurora 16 Or UA Apollo 16 Silver

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my Black Lion modded (analog only) 2408 MK III for something with better conversion.
My system is a 2010 mac pro with 800 fire wire and Pcie running El Capitan, Pro Tools 2019 vanilla.

I've narrowed my choices to:
Lynx Aurora 16 with LT HD card and AES16e-50 Pcie card.
Apollo 16 Silver running firewire.

I'm leaning towards the Aurora but the cost is going to be around $2,300 all in. The Apollo can be had for around $1,200.

Does the Aurora work with Pro Tools vanilla via the PCIE card the same way my Motu does, or do I need Pro Tools Ultimate?
2nd, would the Apollo 16 silver have significantly better conversion as opposed to the Motu?

Both of these systems can be upgraded for Thunderbolt, so if I upgrade my mac I will be covered.
Thanks,
Matt

UniversalAudio 10-27-2019 03:17 PM

Re: Lynx Aurora 16 Or UA Apollo 16 Silver

Hi Matt,
The Apollo x16 was our flagship device for a long time, now replaced by the x16. So it sounds really good!!

Don't forget that the Apollo 16 allows you to run our plugins at low latency for live inputs and in your DAW for mixing.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions.

sonicpalace 10-27-2019 10:35 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards the Apollo 16. The ability to record plugins into pro tools is cool, but I have a ton of outboard gear for that. I also have a quad UAD-2 Pcie card for the UAD plugins which I have used since 2004.
I would like the newer Apollo but that would require a Mac upgrade and that is not in the budget.
I figure if I go with the Apollo 16 silver, I can get familiar with the UA Console and when I'm ready to get a new computer I can jump into the the Apollo X series. at that point I will have all the Dsub connectors ready to go.

francois 10-29-2019 07:32 AM

Hi
I can't speak about the UA apollo as I never used it.
I did used the UA plugins in early days and missed them a lot when I switch to Mac and Protools from Nuendo

I have been using the Aurora 16 Hd with protools for 10 solid years
I like the fact that it's giving me 32 I/O acting as 2 digi 192
Great for my analog and digital external gear patching.

My only caveat on the unit is the heat .
I keep it with a free rack space up and down in my rack.

The new Aurora 16n are running way cooler (first thing I checked at AES)
but you need deeper pocket:D
Francois

francois 10-29-2019 07:37 AM

PS: I don't think the AES16e-50 Pcie card is going to work with Catalina

someone correct me if I'm wrong

UniversalAudio 11-02-2019 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicpalace (Post 2542711)
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards the Apollo 16. The ability to record plugins into pro tools is cool, but I have a ton of outboard gear for that. I also have a quad UAD-2 Pcie card for the UAD plugins which I have used since 2004.
I would like the newer Apollo but that would require a Mac upgrade and that is not in the budget.
I figure if I go with the Apollo 16 silver, I can get familiar with the UA Console and when I'm ready to get a new computer I can jump into the the Apollo X series. at that point I will have all the Dsub connectors ready to go.

Sounds like a solid plan!

sonicpalace 11-04-2019 12:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was really intrigued by the Lynx Aurora but I was able to get the Apollo 16 Silver in very nice condition for $1100 on reverb. The cheapest I saw the Lynx plus pcie card would have been around $1600.
If you add in $200 for the Dsub cables it was getting a bit out of my budget for an audio interface.
On a side note, when I received the Apollo 16 the seller had installed the Thunderbolt drivers and the firewire was not recognized in my Mac. It took my 2 days to figure out how to revert the firmware but I got it running today!

The Apollo sounds good so far, just used it one day. It works perfectly with Pro Tools 2019.
It also has the thunderbolt card, so if I upgrade my mac I will still be able to keep this unit for a bit.
I must say recording UAD plugins is super cool. The Ampeg bass amp sounds killer! I'm about to have some fun! I have a quad PCIE card so now I have an Octo, yippie!:D

UniversalAudio 12-23-2019 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicpalace (Post 2543512)
Thanks for the replies. I was really intrigued by the Lynx Aurora but I was able to get the Apollo 16 Silver in very nice condition for $1100 on reverb. The cheapest I saw the Lynx plus pcie card would have been around $1600.
If you add in $200 for the Dsub cables it was getting a bit out of my budget for an audio interface.
On a side note, when I received the Apollo 16 the seller had installed the Thunderbolt drivers and the firewire was not recognized in my Mac. It took my 2 days to figure out how to revert the firmware but I got it running today!

The Apollo sounds good so far, just used it one day. It works perfectly with Pro Tools 2019.
It also has the thunderbolt card, so if I upgrade my mac I will still be able to keep this unit for a bit.
I must say recording UAD plugins is super cool. The Ampeg bass amp sounds killer! I'm about to have some fun! I have a quad PCIE card so now I have an Octo, yippie!:D

Nice!! Glad to hear you're enjoying the piece!