Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Protools Ultimate - can use virtual outputs like - Rogue Amoeba (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406448)

Justanaudioguy 09-24-2019 04:16 PM

Protools Ultimate - can use virtual outputs like - Rogue Amoeba

I keep finding and reading people using soundflower/rogue amoeba/ loopback and other virtual outputs to send to online softwares, but they are all using protools (NOT HD- Ultimate versions ) is there anything besides Source Elements - Nexus to get audio IO.

My goal is to playback voiceover and let the talent here the reply of the director/creative while in the recording session over some sort of online conference call instead of going out to a analog phone patch.

So yeah I need a in the box phone patch to n from PT Ultimate.

Hey Avid are you hear/here???????

mattrixx 09-25-2019 12:07 AM

Re: Protools Ultimate - can use virtual outputs like - Rogue Amoeba

Source Nexus Pro has been one of the best purchases in a while. Makes things like what you’re suggesting so much simpler and foolproof than Soundflower for example, which can have issues with some software.

I often use it in conjunction with VOIP, Skype, Zoom etc.... when the other end does not have Source Connect.

Check out the trial.

Eric Lambert 09-25-2019 08:38 AM

Sounds like the director/creative will be on the phone, not live in-studio...

That adds a wrinkle, but it's doable. It's actually a very typical setup for our post sessions. We use ipDTL to handle the call and Nexus for audio connections between apps. That's if we want to record the call. If we're just monitoring the call and feeding it to the talent in the booth, and the director/creative is comfortable talking into a laptop, you can use Nexus Free.

At my home studio I refuse to use Nexus so I have a workflow with Soundflower and a ProTools aggregate. I have a thread about this somewhere on the forum -- I'll see if I can find it. It works, but you must use Aggregate in PT, which might lock out some functionality.

Anyway, it can be done.

Ale 09-25-2019 10:38 PM

Hi
Never found anything that works like nexus.
But you need the pro version to get simultanious in and out.

Ale

mattrixx 09-25-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale (Post 2539241)
Hi
Never found anything that works like nexus.
But you need the pro version to get simultanious in and out.

Ale

Yeah, that's right.. But I find the price of admission well worth it. Using the standard version feels very much like using Soundflower... You have to be really careful when using Soundflower, to not create feedback loops within your system.

Benoni 09-26-2019 01:59 PM

Are you one Mac or Windows? If on Windows, try Voicemeeter Potato. It's free.

You can send audio anywhere.

BTW, PT and PT Ultimate can both use loopback, or Soundflower, or virtual outputs in the same way.

reichman 09-26-2019 08:58 PM

Dolby Audio Bridge is intended for use with the Atmos Production Suite, but has the side benefit of providing many of the internal routing features discussed here. It can be used independently of the Dolby software.

Basstian 09-26-2019 11:40 PM

We use SessionLink Pro for this kind of situations. The audio distribution is managed through or metric halo console software.

No need for addition plug ins or software that way.

Every stream can be send everywhere and vice versa.

Justanaudioguy 10-04-2019 07:16 AM

Ok so I must be missing something. MAC OS Sierrra 12.10.6 Running PT Ultimate 2018.10.0 with a single HDX Card, HD i/o, HD MADI.

Analog 1/2 feeds Main out to speakers and 6 feeds phone patch.
Digital is setup for 9 -10. Toslink cables going to CPU for i/o to internal card.

I get sound off internet and can record anything - ok part of the battle.
If I loop back test with ipdtl I get the loop - loop - loop - so I'm guessing that's just figuring out the mix minus issue there. BUT

The company has a ipdtl 4 x licence. The goal here is; using ipdtl record two voiceover talents and use ipdtl to also call the conference number so creative can direct talent and send a link to a TBD video conference all at the same time. So I need 8 streams of audio.

We have the Nexus software. I see it has 24 I/O sub channels. ipdtl only sees "A" n "B" not the individual channels. Loopback sees the sub channels though.
Do I need an other third party I/O card to get more channels? Is the internal mac optical only stereo?

I looked at setting up and PT aggregate but the HDX card is NOT in the list of devices. So this brings me back to- DO i need a third party I/O?

OR are we stuck and have to set up the ipdtl x 4 via MADI on another computer? : (

Darryl Ramm 10-04-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justanaudioguy (Post 2540280)
I looked at setting up and PT aggregate but the HDX card is NOT in the list of devices. So this brings me back to- DO i need a third party I/O?

You cannot CoreAudio aggregate with any DigiLink interfaces you are using from Pro Tools. These are exclusive uses, if they are the playback engine they sure won't appear in the aggregate IO list. And you presumably want the HDX as playback engine. And aggregate IO is not great even if possible with most interfaces.