Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Command 8 connectivity + Pro Tools 10+11 HD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398953)

BurbankGuy 04-30-2018 06:31 PM

Command 8 connectivity + Pro Tools 10+11 HD

Hi folks,

I was running PT 10 HD1 on Windows 7 64bit Gigabyte X79-UD3
I regularly would get the error that
"Pro Tools cannot communicate with Command 8".

I'm now running PT 11.3.2 on one HDX card.

I just got the same Command 8 issue.

All the drivers are loaded. I know that C|8 is not officially supported in 11 but it was in 10 and I'm having the same error in 11.

Does anyone have an idea as to what's causing this? The C|8 is in the Device Manager with no problems.

Thanks in advance!!

albee1952 04-30-2018 07:21 PM

Re: Command 8 connectivity + Pro Tools 10+11 HD

Did you turn off the power management feature on all USB ports?

BurbankGuy 05-01-2018 09:22 AM

Hi Dave!

I did make sure all the power management was off.

Just today at startup the C|8 simply won't talk to PT.

I unplugged, ran a different cable and used a different port and set it in Midi as #3.

We'll see what happens.

Maybe the C|8 has physical issues with the USB port?

So confusing.

albee1952 05-04-2018 09:59 AM

Has it ever worked or are trying to get started with the Command 8? If this is a new addition to your setup, maybe check some youtube videos and see if there is a setup thing you are missing:o

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ontrol+surface

BurbankGuy 05-07-2018 11:50 PM

Dave

I've been using the C8 for years now. I was speaking with some Avid repair people here in town just to see if there might be a hardware issue with the USB section.

It might just be something that's interrupting the C8 connection. So, I'm swapping out some things like my mouse, etc to see if a different port might help.
It stopped working in the middle of a session today. Thankfully the old #3 on the numeric keypad worked so I could continue tracking.
I have to shut down PT, power cycle the C8 and reboot for it to come back.

I'm about to just scrap it for a PreSonus FaderPort 8.

Thanks for answering!

Raoul23 05-08-2018 02:44 AM

Just sharing my experience with the command 8. When I was on Windows some of the faders would not work correctly or track the fader position on the screen. As I brought the command 8 second hand I thought it was just faulty. I then sold it when I got my raven and then when I sold my raven I brought another command 8. This 2nd command 8 had the same problem as the first one I had. I then switched to Mac and the Command 8 works fine. Strange huh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurbankGuy 05-08-2018 11:39 AM

Ha!
Not strange at all.
Windows is the red-headed step child in the Pro Tools world.

Plus, they've never really upgraded any of the software for it.

You'll probably see this on Craigslist soon!

YYR123 05-09-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurbankGuy (Post 2487553)
Dave

I've been using the C8 for years now. I was speaking with some Avid repair people here in town just to see if there might be a hardware issue with the USB section.

It might just be something that's interrupting the C8 connection. So, I'm swapping out some things like my mouse, etc to see if a different port might help.

I'm about to just scrap it for a PreSonus FaderPort 8.

Yeah I think I was all mac when I was using mine. So that might explain why I never had any issues running my C|8.....super functional little controller.

I am not sure going HUI is going to make you feel better.....it might feel like a step backwards>> demo before you buy, or buy sweetwater so you can return.

BurbankGuy 05-11-2018 07:23 PM

I probably don't use the full functionality of the C8. I mainly use the transport, faders and pans.

I'm trying to avoid using a mouse/trackball too much.