Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Importing an Audacity wave to Pro Tools M Powered (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392781)

ccuwan 08-01-2017 10:49 AM

Importing an Audacity wave to Pro Tools M Powered

When I bring audacity wave files which are recorded externally into Pro Tools (M Powered), even though I align the tracks perfectly, the Audacity tracks are running faster then the protools and the alignment or syncing therefore changes.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong
Both the Audacity and the Pro Tools are running a sample rate of 44.1 khz

Thanks for any help

Darryl Ramm 08-01-2017 12:37 PM

Re: Importing an Audacity wave to Pro Tools M Powered

The cause will be the file/sessions are not at the same rate. Or you accidentally applied sample rate conversion to the file on import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Jimmy 08-01-2017 12:47 PM

Darryl makes a point, but I would say that you haven't provided enough info to determine anything concretely. If the timing drifts immediately, then it is what Darryl said. If the timing drift isn't noticeable until a couple minutes down the timeline, then I would say that the problem is clock drift between two unsynced digital clocks.

In other words, if you record independently on two different AD converters, you can't expect them to be in sync. The way to solve this issue would be to record in time in Audacity with a source timing track from the Pro Tools session. Whether it be a click or a rough mix doesn't matter.

ccuwan 08-02-2017 08:27 AM

Thank you both,

The drift is immediate.....I can see it within seconds of bringing the track in.
That said it must be sample rate.
I had made the error earlier so was aware of the need to match timing but 'm confident I checked it carefully.

Jimmy, where to I check the rate for importing the wave to Pro Tools. The Pro Tools session is set up at 44.1 as is the Audacity recording. I assume there is another rate issue at the track level?

Ray

ccuwan 08-02-2017 09:31 AM

My problem is have two recording devices running in a single environment live. I'm using Audacity or protools with a PC laptop, to record two channels and a Tascam DP008EX to record 2 additional channels. I then try to bring both together on protools running on a mac. Syncing them has been very challenging.

Other than buy an interface with additional inputs, any suggestions?

Thanks Ray

Top Jimmy 08-02-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccuwan (Post 2443468)
My problem is have two recording devices running in a single environment live. I'm using Audacity or protools with a PC laptop, to record two channels and a Tascam DP008EX to record 2 additional channels. I then try to bring both together on protools running on a mac. Syncing them has been very challenging.

Other than buy an interface with additional inputs, any suggestions?

Thanks Ray

So your problem is clock drift between the PC interface and the Tascam. Your only recourse to solve the problem at the source is to use an interface with more inputs.

Meanwhile, you should be able to use Time compression/expansion or Time Shift in varispeed mode to line up your current tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ccuwan 08-02-2017 02:40 PM

Is that in Pro Tools which is the final production platform where I bring this all together?

Top Jimmy 08-03-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccuwan (Post 2443521)
Is that in Pro Tools which is the final production platform where I bring this all together?

Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ccuwan 08-03-2017 06:21 PM

Thanks to all for the help