Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anybody using outboard gear with PT ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=281556)

Blackers 09-06-2010 07:46 PM

Anybody using outboard gear with PT ?

I mean using outboard gear such delays verbs,in real time when mixing?I still have cheapers oldies like digitech,lexicon,tc,so why don't use it?
Latency isues?
Any tips or experience?
Thanx a lot. :-)

Blackers 09-06-2010 07:47 PM

Re: Anybody using outboard gear with PT ?

Ah,an inviroment with pc,PT LE or MP.:-)

TOM@METRO 09-06-2010 08:28 PM

The only outboard I use live are the Lexicons. I print and adjust most everything else.

Dorian Green 09-06-2010 08:35 PM

I do use few DBX and stuff like that as outboard gear!
But the main issue is...snare rolll.......LATENCY!
Even with the smallest buffer size, there is style the routing and physical path!
So the only thing to do in such situation (no ADC on PTLE yet!)...
PRINT your processed signal and nudge it to get it synchronized to the rest of your session.The bad point in that is you'll have to do it over again if you're not satisfied with the applied settings of your outboard device.
The good point is you save a bit of cpu power (depending on the equivalent plugin

The only tip I can give you for that procedure is to set a signal at the very beginning of the track, on a precise grid point, like a very short 1000Hz bip.This signal is very clean (even processed!) and you can easily tab to Transient and match the processed track to the unprocessed track on time!

Hope it helps ;)

nerhal 09-06-2010 10:41 PM

I run my art tube compressor outboard for drums and works quite well. latency doesn't seem to be much issue either.

tdawgg 09-07-2010 05:34 AM

http://www.mellowmuse.com/ATA.html

albee1952 09-07-2010 07:52 AM

Latency is unavoidable due to conversion from digital to analog and then back in. Since Pro Tools doesn't compensate automatically, you are stuck doing it manually by nudging, or by using the Mellowmuse ATA plugin(on all tracks that did NOT make the extra journey out and back). For me, its simply not worth the bother. With so many great sounding plugins available, its quite easy to stay in the box. Now I will use outboard compression with my outboard preamps and record with mild compression(but that's likely not what you are asking about). Digital reverb works just dandy this way and I was running a TC M-ONE on the SPDIF port(if you adjust pre-delay so it sounds right, the print it, it IS right, regardless of latency because you made it sound correct). Of course, using SPDIF avoids any conversion. My best advice; if you have some really nice outboard gear like vintage Pultecs or 1176 or a real Fairchild, then its worth the hassle. If you have average stuff like DBX or Alesis 3630 or stuff you use in the PA when you go gigging, don't bother. Get a few great plugins and stay ITB:D With plugins, you get to use a dozen Pultecs(or whatever) instead of the 1 outboard piece, all your settings are saved, you can automate the settings, and tubes and caps never wear out:rolleyes:

Blackers 09-07-2010 11:12 AM

Dear fellas,it's just what i thought.Interesting the EU's ATA.gonna check it out.Anyway,thank you so much.:-)
Blackers

TOM@METRO 09-07-2010 12:38 PM

Even with an 1176 or LA3A I find it best to print going in and not during the mix, as albee said use something in the box for that. Plus recalling a mix with a lot of outboard can really be a hassle.

Blackers 09-07-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 1664582)
Even with an 1176 or LA3A I find it best to print going in and not during the mix, as albee said use something in the box for that. Plus recalling a mix with a lot of outboard can really be a hassle.

Yeah Tom,well remembered :D