Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Next/Previous Sample in Structure. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=208700)

allstaar 11-05-2007 03:36 AM

Next/Previous Sample in Structure.

Hi,

This may well be a dumb question, but I've been trying to figure it out for some time without success so bear with me.

When I load a sample into a zone in structure, next to the select zone field there are some up and down arrows that say next and previous sample. I assume these should allow you to step through the samples in a folder, is this the case ? It doesn't work on my system, the sample remains the same wether I click next or previous.

The sample I have loaded is the first snare sample in a folder containing many snare samples.

Many thanks,

Allstar.

allstaar 11-05-2007 05:38 AM

Re: Next/Previous Sample in Structure.

After messing around some more, it appears the Next/Previous buttons are not what I'm looking for.

They allow you to select zones not samples.

To be clear, this is what I want to do ;

Make a new patch, load a snare sample in from my library snares folder.

Trigger that snare from a midi track

Set protools playing then flip through the snares in that folder until I find the one that sits best in the track.

filosofem 11-05-2007 06:04 PM

If these samples are indeed your own, you can as you'd probably know audition these in either Workspace or the Structure Browser. If these samples are encrypted, Structure doesn't audition samples in the way Workspace works, they need to be loaded. However, you can assign Keyswitches to each and every snare sample and mirror this in the Timeline.

filosofem

allstaar 11-05-2007 10:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Filosofem.

Structure's browser has a speaker icon that lets me audition samples when I click on it, but this isn't what I really need.

I want to program a snare pattern ( with an arbitrary sound to start ) then while that pattern is playing change the sound with a simple up and down function to step through sequentialy the samples in the folder.

It's a function that other soft samplers I've used like LM4 and Kontakt have and is incredibly usefull when trying to find the right kick, snare or whatever that sits just right in the track.

Infact, so hooked on this way of auditioning drum sounds am I, that if Structure can't do this I'll probably have to go back to Kontakt, which would be disapointing as Structure's integration into Protools is better.

If anyone knows how to do this, I'd be very, very grateful to know.

filosofem 11-06-2007 12:36 AM

allstaar, as I was hinting at, to my knowledge, Structure isn't capable of auditioning samples in that manner. However, you can cycle the pattern and use Keyswitching, though it is an extra step than that of other computer-based samplers that you are accustomed too.

...and yes, you are right, Structure does have a number of shortcomings, currently.

filosofem

allstaar 11-06-2007 10:26 AM

Drat!

That's a shame.

The key switching thing is a decent work around, but as samples are often added to my library, I'd have to constantly update the patch in Structure.

I really want to just work with one virtual sampler as they are ( by nature ) complicated and I'd rather not expend grey cells being proficient with more than one.

Oh well, maybe an update to structure will include this way of auditioning.

Thanks all the same filosofem, much appreciated.

filosofem 11-07-2007 05:30 PM

allstarr, this might be of interest to you: Pro Tools 7.4
Quote:

Ability to preview audio in DigiBase browsers in tandem with session playback

filosofem