Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ADR tips and tricks (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=114345)

dopplah 08-25-2004 03:08 PM

ADR tips and tricks

Hey all--

I've been recording ADR for a long while on WaveFrame, and in the last 2 years every job needs to be ported to Pro Tools for delivery. I'd love to just do the dang job in Pro Tools! Do you use any special software add-ons, or just record with the software as-is? How do you handle file naming, beep placement, etc.?

Thanks all,

dopplah

FajitaTone 08-26-2004 12:38 PM

Re: ADR tips and tricks

Make a file of beeps and cut that into the timeline.

Buy VocAlign the Plug-In.

learn ALL the keyboard shortcuts

JKD99 08-26-2004 06:39 PM

Re-name your record tracks the same as the upcoming cue number, and the files will automatically be named incrementally by take i.e: 2001-1, 2001-2, 2001PU-1, etc.
Make a beep file using 1k pops, then spot to the in footage, then hit option-H and shift it earlier 2 seconds (or 3 feet, whichever timescale you're using).
Hope this helps and doesn't annoy

Matt Stutter 08-26-2004 08:10 PM

Or put your sync point ("apple" + ",") at the end of the ADR cue beep region. And just spot to the sync point for each line... ("Shift" + "Control")

Hmm, that made more sense in my head - don't think it came out so well....

Chief Technician 08-26-2004 08:14 PM

Create a beep file, and spot the beep file so you get a three beep countdown (like the MicroLynx would do). Consolidate your created countdown into a single file. Place your cursor where the talent is supposed to come in with the line, then switch to the grabber, and control+Apple+click the countdown region and it will spot the tail of the countdown to where the talent is supposed to come in.

I also need lights, so I created a super-secret solution to fire off a light in sync with the countdown.

It helps immensely if you have non-linear picture.

bigbadhenchman 08-26-2004 09:01 PM

Being subjected every day to using pro-tools to do ADR, I seriously suggest you get a synchronizer to do ADR with Pro-Tools.

JKD99 08-26-2004 09:20 PM

Good one Chief Technician, after all my years (10) of using Pro Tools, I only RECENTLY started using the grabber+control+apple shortcut (how lame of me). A bit easier than option+H...duh

Hi Henchman,
why the synchronizer?

Chief Technician 08-26-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

Hi Henchman,
why the synchronizer?

Please elaborate as to why you feel this way.

JKD99 08-26-2004 10:12 PM

Hi Chief
"Please elaborate as to why you feel this way"

"you" meaning me, or Henchman?

Chief Technician 08-26-2004 10:25 PM

I'd like Henchman to elaborate. I used to use a synchronizer to do this and I prefer using PT.