Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Free mix workshop... (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402023)

simon.a.billington 11-20-2018 05:39 AM

Free mix workshop...

In checking out the most recent sales over at Waves I came across this...

https://www.waves.com/courses/demo-to-master

I signed up myself, I figured why not. You can learn something new from just about anyone. Given the fact that there seems to be a bit of an all star lineup, Im hoping I can learn a few new things.

Its free, so why not?!?

Thoughts...???

albee1952 11-20-2018 08:44 AM

Re: Free mix workshop...

Seems like a no-brainer to me:D

amagras 11-20-2018 09:34 AM

I signed up two weeks ago. Most things I do I've learned from watching/reading what other people have to say

Southsidemusic 11-20-2018 10:00 AM

Same here. Signed up the moment I saw this.

You can never say you are done learning :-)

I met Dave Darlington a few times as he worked on a few Avicii songs and he is a Great Guy! Has a lot of Very very good knowledge on many music styles and understands what the client wants as he knows how to listen to people.

Many "masters" I met just talks and talks until ears start to shut down and doesn't know how to listen so this guy is the exception and I really look forward to the 28th when it starts.

simon.a.billington 12-16-2018 03:05 AM

3 sessions in. What does everyone think??

I have yet to catch up on 2 Q&A vids myself. Im in the merry old land of Oz and the broadcast times arent good for me.

xrekcor 01-15-2019 12:07 PM

hey thanks for posting.... starting this myself.... being a self taught kinda guy this looks pretty good to me.

xrekcor 01-16-2019 10:15 PM

Got through the first one, brought 3 plugs haha....

zion 01-17-2019 09:37 AM

Very interesting! I will check this out. Thanks for posting!

xrekcor 01-20-2019 03:51 PM

Well I have to say, that came along at the right time..... Ive mostly been an upto to demo kinda guy and was waiting until I started getting my head around PT comfortably before moving into the mastering area. This course certainly starts to give you an idea of where to start, and some important why/hows to take on board and few nifty tricks he likes to use with s bit where and why.

Got heaps from this course plus a few plugs which are conveniently at the bottom of the page to buy, Id say the course is part sales pitch but then it is on Waves site. But hey seeing a real pro using plugs and more importantly how hes using them and why is a great help to a practical style learner I am. I also found the Q&A section just as great because it allowed folks watching the original live stream to post qs that dug deeper into what he was doing and he realy broke it down for you.

simon.a.billington 01-21-2019 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2513367)
Well I have to say, that came along at the right time..... Ive mostly been an upto to demo kinda guy and was waiting until I started getting my head around PT comfortably before moving into the mastering area. This course certainly starts to give you an idea of where to start, and some important why/hows to take on board and few nifty tricks he likes to use with s bit where and why.

Got heaps from this course plus a few plugs which are conveniently at the bottom of the page to buy, Id say the course is part sales pitch but then it is on Waves site. But hey seeing a real pro using plugs and more importantly how hes using them and why is a great help to a practical style learner I am. I also found the Q&A section just as great because it allowed folks watching the original live stream to post qs that dug deeper into what he was doing and he realy broke it down for you.

I noticed a kind of modest beauty in Dave's ability to work with a small number of plugins. In an unrelated subject a friend of mine posted this on Facebook a few days back.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...3aoL9Fz6aeANqM

I haven't read it, but this is how he summed it up. In fact, it may even be a quoted extract...

"In a nutshell, surprisingly the fewer plugins an engineer used the better the mix tended to get rated and the best mix used primarily stock plugins, whereas the lower performing mixes were overloaded with plugins"

I think this is relevant as it reflect's Dave's approach and the approach of a few other engineers. I guess it helps to start with good recordings and good arrangements. As a mix engineer you aren't always so lucky.

Although as somebody who also writes and arranges, the line between the arrangement and the mix can become a bit blurred.