Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Learning how to EQ (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=18236)

sidereal 08-14-2001 04:17 PM

Learning how to EQ

EQ has always been a big mystery to me. I admit it's mostly guess work for me. I remember reading an EM article on unraveling the mysteries of EQ or something like that and I read it and it didn't tell me squat.

I wonder if there are any web resources where you can learn this art in ways where real examples are given rather than just abstract "you gotta cut rather than boost" tips. I mean, I get it in principle; but I'd like to learn some real world examples.

Of course you're all welcome to share your methods. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (btw, I'm talking surgical
EQ, not EQ'ing for dramatic effect).

Thanks...

sidereal 08-14-2001 06:52 PM

Re: Learning how to EQ

I can't tell if you're being serious or faceteous spunky....

There can't be any general EQ setting. What if the source needs more midrange? In that case, that's not the answer.

Tony Robinson 08-14-2001 10:02 PM

I would suggest www.artistpro.com I have learned a lot of stuff by taking their free courses. EQ was also a mystery to me until I took the course on it. Great Site!

Tony

or just go for the [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mark Haliday 08-18-2001 02:54 PM

Probably the most difficult thing to teach, as is the art of mixing (not surprisingly since both are related !)
One general principle about parametric EQ however that I found on the job is to apply positive EQ with the widest band (*) possible ( very british... and musically effective), and keep negative EQ very narrow band and well "tuned" on to the exact frequency (ie the overtone)you are trying to reduce in level.
The rest is essentially a question of ear workout (don't hesitate to go to extreme settings just to see what happens), and that takes time *and* a good listening environment.
One thing to beware of is internal distorsion in Eq plugins. It is good policy to take the input level down for more headroom to play about with.
Final point, all eq sound different : try all the ones you can get hold of ! (I tend to like McDsp's Filterbank best but it may be a question of taste)

Mark

(*) wide band = low Q value
narrow band = High Q value

iamstudios 08-19-2001 07:11 AM

One part of EQing is being able to define the "problems" in a piece of audio. This is not a gift that people just have, (although some people do have extremly good & sensitive ears) but it can be trained.

For me the Golden Ears training program has helped and increased my ability to EQ program material with lets say 200%. It takes some time but now I can say I can actually hear problems more easily. In combination with reading a lot on the subject of mixing it has helped me to be sure about what I'm doing.

Check it out for yourself on www.kiqproductions.com . I hope it helps!

Good luck.

Barnier