Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405618)

arche3 07-30-2019 02:26 PM

Re: NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostwriter (Post 2534152)
I just moved 168 GB from an SATA drive to SSD drive 1 and it worked. The same file that locked the machine up earlier.
But, the machine locked up as soon as I tried to copy the same file from SSD drive 1 to SSD drive 2. SSD drive 2 doesn’t seem to like large files.

How does ssd2 work as.a protools record drive?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ghost In The Attic 07-30-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2534158)

I don’t know yet. I am installing software and have an appointment in a bit. I will create a new session on ssd 2 and let you know as soon as I can. It may not be until tomorrow though.

Ghost In The Attic 07-31-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2534158)

Working great!
This machine is so fast.

The only issue is you can’t move files between the two ssd drives or it freezes and crashes. But, I am going to install a 2 gig ssd drive into one of the bays next to see how files move between it and the internal two.

Ghost In The Attic 07-31-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2534129)
But how does it make you feel? :-)

I feel real good.
Thanks again mate for recommending the crest adapter. Good find. :cool:

K Roche 07-31-2019 04:02 PM

Just ordered my Crest and EVO's today the Crest is backordered on Amazon until Aug 7

I will be trying to transfer PT sessions , and FCPX projects from the two internal HDD's will have to see how that works
I am wondering if there might be problem because the HDD's are still HFS ?

Darryl Ramm 07-31-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2534252)
I am wondering if there might be problem because the HDD's are still HFS ?

Nope.

The SSD disk you create on the Crest will/should be APFS. You can copy files from HFS+ to APFS, nothing should care. You are just copying files between different filesystems.

Ghost In The Attic 07-31-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2534265)
Nope.

The SSD disk you create on the Crest will/should be APFS. You can copy files from HFS+ to APFS, nothing should care. You are just copying files between different filesystems.

It copies lightning fast and without a hiccup to all drives except between the two drives on the Crest adapter. I was reading and others are having the same issue. But, it transfers to and from other drives so fast that it is a mild inconvenience to move larger files to another drive and then back to the other ssd on the Crest. Since it records well to the second ssd drive, it’s really just a matter of house keeping now. After that I don’t even see it as being an issue.

arche3 07-31-2019 08:47 PM

I read that the hollywood movie people use these pcie blades for backup after a day of shooting. Apparently they are praising Jesus , Buddha, and Allah for these things.

Ghost In The Attic 07-31-2019 08:52 PM

To say they are fast is an understatement. :eek:

Darryl Ramm 07-31-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostwriter (Post 2534272)
It copies lightning fast and without a hiccup to all drives except between the two drives on the Crest adapter. I was reading and others are having the same issue. But, it transfers to and from other drives so fast that it is a mild inconvenience to move larger files to another drive and then back to the other ssd on the Crest. Since it records well to the second ssd drive, it’s really just a matter of house keeping now. After that I don’t even see it as being an issue.

That has got to be a low-level bug on the Crest side. I have no idea why it would happen. Thanks for letting folks know.