Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Thumbs up to the Presonus Quantum 4848 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403956)

justinhill 04-01-2019 12:40 PM

Thumbs up to the Presonus Quantum 4848

I've just completed my chalk-to-cheese upgrade by replacing my old 003 rack+ interface with a Quantum 4848. This is the first product I've ever bought from Presonus.

I can't recall ever having a smoother, simpler install experience. Plugged it in, downloaded the driver installer, ran it and then launched Pro Tools. No re-start, no mucking about, no nothing. And the same with the free UC Console app. Downloaded it from the app store onto my iPad, launched it and there - instantly - was the interface with all its input and output meters. RTA mode is fun too - although the lag is probably too much for it to be really useful.

Obviously the greater part of my power gain has been replacing my Macbook Pro with a 12 core Mac Pro - but the Quantum 4848 seems to have a really lean driver. The Sound On Sound review I read mentioned this. I'm running a fairly complex 96k session with lots of plug-ins, including the dreaded Ozone 8 stuff, with a 64 sample buffer and everything's fine.

Now to download my free copy of Studio One Professional and bundled plugins...

albee1952 04-01-2019 07:34 PM

Re: Thumbs up to the Presonus Quantum 4848

Having recently heard the Quantum in use, I agree that its a really good sounding interface:D

junkgear 04-02-2019 08:25 AM

Glad to hear the 4848 is working out for you.
I have the Quantum 2 and agree that Presonus has their act together as far as ease of use and performance. These are great interfaces at good prices.

MixerGuy 06-02-2021 10:15 PM

still running well?

i'm considering a PreSonus*Quantum 26x32 for a mobile Mac laptop rig with ProTools. :D

justinhill 06-03-2021 12:07 AM

Yes, still very happy with it. Only glitch has been that following a forced replacement of my iPad I can't get the app to work any more. The app has metering and an RTA but isn't hugely important to me. It's some sort of compatibility issue with the iOS version and the Quantum firmware version which I couldn't get resolved with Presonus.

Todd 01-24-2022 02:51 PM

I'm considering purchasing a 4848. I already have an Apollo x4. Will these work together in a thunderbolt daisy-chained aggregate device configuration?

I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

justinhill 01-25-2022 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 2626391)
I'm considering purchasing a 4848. I already have an Apollo x4. Will these work together in a thunderbolt daisy-chained aggregate device configuration?

I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

I know Presonus claims you can do that with multiple Presonus devices but I guess you'd have to ask them if it'd work with an Apollo. (their support is pretty good actually). I've never tried attaching anything to the thunderbolt through port on my unit I'm afraid.

Justin1524 01-28-2022 10:29 AM

Thanks for posting your review.

I too am excited about this interface once the (hopefully) new Mac Mini's come this year. Time to replace the cheesegrater! I'm wondering if I can combine the Quantum 4848 with a MOTU 112D Thunderbolt interface as an Aggregate device in Core Audio. Why? Because the 112D has AES I/O and I have several pieces of AES capable gear. Seems like it should be doable and maybe then ditch my AVID blue interfaces and HD native card to the highest bidders.

I'm wondering if I'll notice better AD conversion but mostly I'm jazzed about the low native latency. It could be a very very fun year!

itsjustmeee123 01-28-2022 07:20 PM

I’m thinking about getting the 4848 as well. It’s about time to lose my digi 192 and from what I’ve heard, I believe I would just be able to use the DB–25 connectors that I already have hooked up to the 192. And I’m hoping that since the 4848 has Thunderbolt, I could use CoreAudio as well.

justinhill 01-29-2022 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 (Post 2626741)
I’m thinking about getting the 4848 as well. It’s about time to lose my digi 192 and from what I’ve heard, I believe I would just be able to use the DB–25 connectors that I already have hooked up to the 192. And I’m hoping that since the 4848 has Thunderbolt, I could use CoreAudio as well.

That should work. The 4848 is wired Tascam-style (aka AES59), which I think is what the 192 has?

CoreAudio works well. I can play something in iTunes or off the web or whatever while I also have a Pro Tools session open and nobody seems to get upset.