Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Worth tweaking the mini mac???? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=129168)

fabpab 02-14-2005 04:23 AM

Worth tweaking the mini mac????

Hey guys.. i bought the lowest spec mini mac the other day.. and ive already ripped it apart and upgraded the memory to 512 meg.. and its awsome...

however i would like to use the mini mac as a location recording device with the 002r and an external hardisk..

do you think that its worth me ripping it apart and overclocking it to a 1.42ghz mini mac? its only some soldering..

any of you guys done this? does it make a huge difference in the way protools tracks ???

i typicaly record bands.. and record anything from 10-16 tracks at one go... (drum kits.. and EXTRA LARGE DRUM KITS!, haha) and of corse lots of overdubbing..

id apreciate any feedback if possible..

thankyou..

tele_player 02-14-2005 08:34 AM

Re: Worth tweaking the mini mac????

If it was just some normal jumpers, and you're comfortable with taking it apart way beyond just changing RAM, I'd say "sure, give it a try". But, it involves micro-soldering, not jumpers, and it's not guaranteed to work reliably. I wouldn't do it.

yavuzj 02-14-2005 09:06 AM

Quote:

it involves micro-soldering, not jumpers, and it's not guaranteed to work reliably. I wouldn't do it.

Me neither. I got very good results with DaveC at my 1.42 Ghz.
1.25 Ghz should not that far behind.
It is more power that i will need.
I do not know what kind of mixes you do though.
I would just recommend buying the faster machine if you need it that much.

fabpab 02-14-2005 09:09 AM

Yea..

i also run my protools rig on Win XP with a xp2800 with a gig of ram..

this little baby will be for location tracking only.........

tele_player 02-14-2005 09:29 AM

For location tracking, 1.25Ghz will work perfectly, and 1.42Ghz wouldn't offer any benefit.

dans 02-14-2005 07:51 PM

How about this...take out the RAM and sell the one you have on eBay and then buy a 1.42Ghz Mac mini. You'll save at least a few hours in time that you can spend on recording. You spent a grand plus on PT, a couple hundred on the HD, and God knows how much on the rest of your gear. If you are serious about music, then buy what you need and be done with it. If you want to experiment with extreme overclocking (extreme in form if not function) and don't really care about the time it takes you to marginally upgrade the speed of your machine, while at the same time possibly ruining it and certainly voiding the warranty, then by all means, heat up that soldering iron and have fun!