Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Digi 001 with Windows 7 in "XP mode" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=257540)

luidog 10-23-2009 10:09 AM

Digi 001 with Windows 7 in "XP mode"

I have a Digi 001 on an XP computer. I've been wanting to upgrade the OS forever. Now Windows 7 has an XP Mode. Does anyone know if it's possible to run a 001 on Windows 7 in XP Mode?

jolarson 11-10-2009 05:48 AM

Re: Digi 001 with Windows 7 in "XP mode"

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has any information on whether the Digi 001 will work in Windows 7, with the XP compatibility mode? Since my XP computer died (they weren't selling XP anymore), I haven't been able to get it to work in Vista since they never updated the drivers. So I want to know if Windows 7 will solve my problems. I am rather computer literate so if you know any workarounds for Vista I would appreciate those to.

DigiFry 12-01-2009 03:15 AM

Digi 001 will not work with Windows 7 Virtual XP

from: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...entry589501379

"Wait, let me get this straight. You have a PCI card installed and you want the virtual windows XP to use it. Does that sound right? If so, it's not possible. It's complicated, but you can't pass-through a PCI card to a virtual machine, it's impossible (regular PCs lack an IOMMU)."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What this appears to mean is that Digidesign 001 can not be used in Virtual XP under Win7 as the interface can not be virtualized and passed-through the way that usb ports can. The only way to get Digi 001 to work on your Win7 machine would be to make your Win7 machine dual boot to Win XP.

I had high hopes for this, too - it is not a matter of virtual xp being underpowered, it seems to run my DAW software pretty well - but I will look to purchase a usb device (I only use the mic/line inputs in front) and use my software in Win 7 64-bit.

jolarson 12-01-2009 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info.

Jon

Keybeeetsss 12-01-2009 07:36 AM

:eek: Talk about hi-jack :eek:

sunburst79 12-01-2009 08:03 AM

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

If its not broke dont fix it.....

Upgrading your computer would likely give far more of a performance boost than upgrading the OS....

Dual booting would get you the best of both worlds.

XP Mode. From what I read a few months before Win7 shipped is that XP Mode is NOT going to work with any program that requires kernel level hardware access or exclusive control of hardware. This includes 3D video games and Pro Tools. XP Mode is there so you can run older programs that won't work under Win7. Stuff like accounting software.

Back in march or so I had my 001 running on Win7 with all the new 8.0 plugs:-). I didn't test it extensively but it would play the Demo song and all the plugins seemed to work. There were serious GUI issues as most of the window control buttons were missing. A day after this the boot loader got scrambled and I nuked the system. Fun experiment but I wouldn't try taking it to a gig.....Nor do I recommend you try it unless you can A) dual boot B) snag a free demo copy of Win7 Pro from technet. Its not worth putting a lot of time or any money into.

The 001 is a relic, Coded for Windows 98. It had a helluva lot longer life under XP than it did under Mac OS. Be glad it still runs and stick with what actually works. I still have a 001 I use in a practice space but the 002/003 sounds much better. I use it out of nostalgia and of course because its still working and does the job but if it died tomorrow I wouldnt hesitate to replace it with something new that was actually supported.

crashman2u 12-04-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss (Post 1505462)
:eek: Talk about hi-jack :eek:

WOW..no kidding. He straight hijacked this thread...lol.

bearsound 01-12-2010 02:06 AM

Audiomedia III works on 7 in XP mode after PACE drivers.

sunburst79 01-12-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsound (Post 1531673)
Audiomedia III works on 7 in XP mode after PACE drivers.

But does it work in Win7?

bearsound 01-13-2010 04:21 AM

You have to install in compatibility mode as administrator.
We tried at 7 ultimate 32bits.
After that, the latest pace drivers.
No more BSOD.
And it works fine.
4 sampletank, 1 kontakt and 3 EZdrummer from 1 core of a Q8200 at 128 latency.
And the cpu is half :o
A good stuff for composin and mixin after 14 years of manifacturin.
Audiomedia III rocks :D :D :D