Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   DSPs responsible for conversion? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407350)

timothys_monster 11-28-2019 03:48 PM

DSPs responsible for conversion?

Hi there,

I am new at using Avid products. At the studio I am now working, we are using a Pro Tools HD system. So basically a Digidesign 192 with a Core card and an Accel card.

Now, the DSPs on the cards can be used for audio signal flow and for processing certain supported effects if I understand correctly.

My question is: Are they also in any way responsible for the AD/DA conversion (and thus for the sound quality) or is this all done by the hardware unit 192?

Thanks and sorry if it had been discussed before, I wasn't able to find an answer.

the19thbear 11-28-2019 04:23 PM

Re: DSPs responsible for conversion?

Conversion is done by the 192. Dsp’s are just expensive pocket calculators. No adda in the dsp. Only signal processing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timothys_monster 11-28-2019 04:29 PM

Thanks for clearing things up, 19thbear!

That's what I was assuming. So the 192's DSPs are kind of outdated in comparison to modern CPUs, I guess?

Could I run all channels of the 192 at 192 kHz with only the Core card then?

LukeHoward 11-28-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothys_monster (Post 2545962)
Thanks for clearing things up, 19thbear!

That's what I was assuming. So the 192's DSPs are kind of outdated in comparison to modern CPUs, I guess?

Could I run all channels of the 192 at 192 kHz with only the Core card then?

I/O counts can be found below, yes it should be possible.

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-to...specifications

Southsidemusic 11-28-2019 11:04 PM

And just to be ”clearer” there is no DSP in the 192’s as you wrote. That is on those 20 year old HD cards. The converters on the 192’s are old and there are way cheaper interfaces today for less than 300usd that kill those old boxes.

the19thbear 11-28-2019 11:11 PM

I would personally keep the 192. It’s a fine converter. Not the best but certianly not the worst. But that’s another discussion:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timothys_monster 11-29-2019 02:45 AM

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information.

We are definitely keeping the 192's, I was just wondering if we'd need the DSP power when upgrading at some point to a new computer. Now I know that they are really only responsible for signal processing, not converting.

Cheers!

albee1952 11-29-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothys_monster (Post 2546000)

We are definitely keeping the 192's, I was just wondering if we'd need the DSP power when upgrading at some point to a new computer. Now I know that they are really only responsible for signal processing, not converting.

Cheers!

My own experience; the 192's run great on the Avid HDN card(no DSP) and can be run with OMNI and/or HD IO boxes without issue. My own 2 cents; the 192 sounds fine, so if your recordings are not hits, its not because of the 192:o

LDS 11-30-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothys_monster (Post 2546000)

Cheers!

What are you using your system for? Tracking bands/music? Mixing? Virtual instruments/composition?

Those old HD accel cards will only work with 32-bit versions of Pro Tools, which means you are stuck with Pro Tools HD 10 at best. An implication of running 32-bit apps is that they will only ever access 4gb of system ram at best, which is horrible if you want to run virtual or sample based instruments. You would be far, far better off scrapping HD Accel and moving to PT11 or beyond if that is the case.

If you are tracking and mixing bands though, HD accel still remains one of the lowest latency systems in existence. Super stable, you'll be able to monitor directly through DSP plugins and build some pretty hefty headphone mixes as though you are working on an analogue mixing console.

Don't be surprised if you don't see huge gains in performance when you do purchase a new computer. It is simply the result of incapability of HD accel and the versions of Pro Tools that work with it in accessing all of the available system resources. HD TDM systems are from the early 2000's after all!