Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Waves SSL vs. Duende (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=172014)

Richard Conrad 07-10-2006 05:10 PM

Waves SSL vs. Duende

Hey All,

I'm faced with a decision, and could use some input. I'd like to get some SSL plugs, but there are two solid options available. There are tonnes of Waves SSL reviews available, but none of them make mention of how DSP hungry the plugs are. I'm running an HD1 system at the moment, and don't exactly have all the processing to spare (let alone the extra few grand for an Accel card). Now, option 2; the SSL Duende. From everything I hear the plugs are great, and the extra DSP makes it very appealing for someone in my position. My only concern is the stability of such a new hardware/software platform.

All in all, I'd like to have this decision made within the month. Can anyone make an informed recommendation?

Richard

BKR 07-10-2006 05:44 PM

Re: Waves SSL vs. Duende

The Waves SSL stuff is like a lot of Waves stuff---fairly DSP hungry. With regard to Duende, you might want to wait and look at the Focusrite Liquid Mix box. Good Luck! Barry Rudolph

Richard Conrad 07-10-2006 06:01 PM

thanks Barry. If I'm not mistaken, both units are set to ship into Canada in the next few weeks; perhaps I can test drive both units side-by-side. Should that happen, I'll be sure to post my results.

cheers,

Richard

Drew Mazurek 07-10-2006 07:18 PM

you realize these products are very different from each other? They're not interchangable. The Waves stuff is SL4000 based and the Duende is from the C300 digital console.

Richard Conrad 07-10-2006 07:37 PM

yes, I'm aware that the Duende algo's are directly ported from the C200 console. They are SSL's own emulations of their E/G series channel strips, as well as the master buss compressor. While there is certainly going to be a tonal difference between the two, I'd imagine they are likely in the same realm, as they were cut from the same proverbial cloth.

I'll have to get my hands on the thing before I can make up my mind, but if anyone happens to grab one, I'd really like to hear some first-hand reviews.

Richard

AINSLIE 07-10-2006 10:21 PM

I bought SSL Native to use with my HD3Accel. Saved the $$$ over TDM. This is a great combo. I run 20-30 native SSL plugs no problem plus loading up all the TDM and a couple TL Space Native.

I am concerned about Duende recall / Session setup time. And additional price. Duende maxes out at 32 mono channels. I get about this many easily in a loaded session on dual 2GHZ older G5.

No offline rendering in Logic.

Duende requires using a VST wrapper for PT use. You should find out what the consequenses of using Duende via VST wrapper and ADC are also.

Thoughts, A

MoritzRock 07-11-2006 02:54 AM

Hi Richard,
The SSL Bundle TDM is actually not as power hungry as people might think,
Based on a 48K 24bit session the channel strip takes about 25%, THE EQ 18% AND THE MASTER COMPRESSOR IS RUFFLY THERE.
This is what i remember...
Hope this help.
I will get them myself as soon as i can!!
MO

P A M 07-11-2006 05:37 AM

Both systems have an awesome sound that I reeally like. There is a big tonal difference betwine the Waves SSL and Duende, - the Waves to my ear has more colour and is sounding much like the older SSL - so they hit the mark as you would expect. SSL Duende is cleaner in the sound and hit the mark with the newer SSL stuff.
There is no quality difference, - only a tonal one, so its upto prefference. The ch-strip. on duende is easy on the eye, and I like the small display showing the routing of the channel at all times, nice.
The install af Duende is easy and strait forward, and there is no reason to fear what they call "wrapped", it installs as a RTAS-plug.
(actually many of the RTAS-plugs we use are "wrapped" VST, - most companies just dont mention it)
As allwayes with external processors there are "latency", - in case of Duende apr. 1.400 sampels so well within the limits of our ADC, but obviously a problem if you want to record into a ch.-strip, - Waves is a winner in that respect as its HD.
Ive had Duende on my system for the past week, and it seems very stable with Pro Tools, but there are still a few bugs with Logic Pro 7.2.
I think Duende is a nice addition to my system, even tho Ive got the Waves SSL also, - as said there are a tonal difference, and its a cheap way of freeing up more dsp on the Accel-cards for other stuff and getting 32 ch. SSL on top of that, - but I wouldnt part with my Waves version because of the latency.

Richard Conrad 07-11-2006 08:29 AM

Wow, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions everyone. It sounds as if I really can't make a truly 'wrong' decision, no matter which route I take. Hearing how many native instances Ainslie got up to is also pretty encouraging, as I also have a dual 2ghz G5. At this point, I think my best bet is to download the Waves 7-day demo and mix an upcoming project with it. If I'm left telling myself that I can't live without it, I'll just get it and be done with the whole decision.

Cheers.

Richard

JSR 07-11-2006 09:03 AM

...I wish SSL had an expansion option for the Duende; I work a lot at 88.2/96, which reduces Duende to only 16 mono channel; kind of a bummer.