Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do i listen to itunes when PTLE is already running on 003 hardware??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=232993)

dey_one 12-05-2008 07:04 PM

How do i listen to itunes when PTLE is already running on 003 hardware???

...And vice versa? Individually I can listen to music files from anywhere, just not in tandem.

When working in PTLE, itunes files simply won't play.
When listening to itunes, PTLE won't open and says "PT hardware is either not installed or is being used by another program"

My Mbox 2 Pro NEVER did this.
Any ideas how to receive audio from these 2 applications (through my digi003) using 1 set of studio monitors?

**Mac Pro 2.8 Xeon 8 Core, OSX 10.5.5, 10gb RAM, PTLE 7.4.2, Digi 003 Workstation**

OddsAre 12-05-2008 07:52 PM

Re: How do i listen to itunes when PTLE is already running on 003 hardware???

when PT is running it hogs the interface and the Core Audio engine, so no other program can use the Digi's outs. I own a Mackie Big Knob and run out of the line out on the Mac Pro into the Big Knob. There are lots of "Center Section" options out there.

dey_one 12-05-2008 08:52 PM

Okay. So I could've kept my Mbox Pro 2 and used my other firewire port to line-out to my monitors?

Or would you suggest I use something non-firewire (since i'm already using 1) and go line-out from my mac to some other audio interface like yours?

OddsAre 12-05-2008 08:59 PM

well, flexibility wise you would want to run a dedicated Center Section like I am doing. I don't necessarily suggest the Big Knob unless money is an issue. Even the Presonus Center Station might be a good choice since it has Digital inputs and you could use the digital optical outs from the Mac Pro. I find the line out to be noisy. But either way if you are gonna be doing a lot of mixing you want to have a dedicated Center Section for quick A/Bing, mono checks and fine control over the control room volume.

I've just always known that when Pro Tools is active, Core Audio will not allow any other program to access the interface's I/O's. I've never owned an Mbox, so not sure how it works with those.

albee1952 12-05-2008 09:09 PM

I prefer the Central Station and use the SPDIF out of my computer into that for all non-protools sound. Your simple and cheap option is to run a mini plug cable to a pair of quarter inch plugs into the Aux input of the 003 and just hit the Aux to Mon button.

max cooper 12-06-2008 07:58 AM

It would be great if someone could make iTunes into an RTAS plugin.

albee1952 12-06-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max cooper (Post 1312358)
It would be great if someone could make iTunes into an RTAS plugin.

To what end? What are you wishing to do that need iTunes? BTW, love your signature. LMAO

Slim Shady 12-06-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dey_one (Post 1312223)
My Mbox 2 Pro NEVER did this.

The Mbox2 CoreAudio drivers work differently than the 002/003 series which is why you were able to do that before. However, Digi has said they're working on making the 002/003's work like the Mbox2 drivers, and I think they said they were shooting for an early-ish 2009 release of the new CoreAudio drivers for all LE devices which would add that feature.

That being said, I use a Big Knob as well, just because it makes things a lot more flexible for monitoring overall. Was thinking of switching over to the Presonus, but now that there's a surround mixing option coming for LE I'm just going to wait and get one that supports surround outputs when I upgrade my monitors.

Top Jimmy 12-06-2008 12:29 PM

Why don't you loop the Mac outs to the aux inputs of the 003? All you have to do is push the button on the 003 and you're listening to the aux ins.

max cooper 12-06-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1312383)
To what end? What are you wishing to do that need iTunes? BTW, love your signature. LMAO

Thanks. I like to listen to music while getting ready for sessions, but with the disfunctionality of Core Audio under 7.4.2, it's a huge pain to switch between PTLE and iTunes.

Using the analog output of the mac isn't an option. It's hardly "reference" quality.