Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Very concerned about buying an Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408831)

357mag 03-08-2020 12:06 PM

Very concerned about buying an Eleven Rack

There are several used Eleven Racks for sale on Ebay but I gotta tell you I'm worried about purchasing one due to a video some fellow posted.

He said he bought a used Rack and it was a nightmare to get the online software to install.

He said he was seeing messages about "Sorry you have exceeded the maximum number of times you can install the software."

So my question to you is has the company put a limit on the number of times the online editing software can be installed?

Another question I have is am I going to need to purchase an iLok too?

I do not use nor want to use Pro Tools. I use Reaper for recording.

357mag 03-13-2020 07:11 AM

Buying a used Eleven Rack

Will there be problems with messages saying you have exceeded the allowable number of installations if I bought a used Eleven Rack?

I'm talking about the online editor to allow you to control it.

jeffro 03-13-2020 02:41 PM

Re: Very concerned about buying an Eleven Rack

Welcome to the community.

Sounds like he was talking about the Expansion Pack - that does only allow for 1 install since it's an upgrade.

The Editor isn't copy protected, and an iLok is not required to use the Eleven Rack.

nedorama 03-13-2020 02:52 PM

don't be concerned - the drivers work fine, and I bought mine used and am not looking back. Was my sole audio interface until about a month ago.

Not compatible with Catalina, but in standalone mode sounds great and still holds up.

JoelG 03-15-2020 07:42 AM

I'm very happy with my Eleven Rack. Never had any issue downloading or installing the drivers or Eleven Rack Editor.

That said, there hasnt been any updated drivers or software for quite some time. As long as it does what you want it to do today, I wouldnt expect any feature updates.

Also, I'm on Windows which is far less picky as far as drivers are concerned. Every time a new Mac OS comes out there always seems to be driver issues for audio devices.

Joel

357mag 03-16-2020 01:44 PM

Okay Thanks for the feedback and information. I may decide to pick one up in the near future.

I wonder if the models are similar to what was in the Line 6 X3 Pro.

I sold my HD Pro X recently. Line 6 goofed up big time in certain areas of that POD.

357mag 03-16-2020 06:38 PM

So I could not download and install the Expansion Pack. I'm mostly interested in getting a Malmsteen type sound.

I believe the default unit comes with some Plexi's and a JCM-800 type amp. I noticed there are four Malmsteen patches on the site and three of them require the expansion pack.

If anyone wants to give me some feedback please post.

357mag 03-16-2020 07:28 PM

What about updating the firmware? If I buy one and the firmware version is not 2.0.1 then I will not be getting some of those Plexi's and Greenback cabs.

Is there a way to update the firmware to 2.0.1?

Pingafuego 03-16-2020 07:34 PM

If you buy an Eleven Rack with the expansion pack installed (firmware 2), you won't need to download/install the upgrade!

I bought mine in 2012 and it already had the expansion installed!

357mag 03-16-2020 07:51 PM

I don't know if the unit I buy will have the new firmware version. That's why I asked the question can a guy get version 2.0.1 if he so happens to have an older firmware version.