Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DOES PT 10 HD work with Mavericks? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395087)

studiojimi 11-14-2017 04:14 PM

DOES PT 10 HD work with Mavericks?

or should i stay where i am on 10.8.5?

Southsidemusic 11-14-2017 05:21 PM

Re: DOES PT 10 HD work with Mavericks?

Is there any real reason you wanna step up to Mavericks? As always IF your system runs well now with 10.8.5 which was the best OS ever for us and soo many others I would stay there as long as humanly possible BUT if you need to goto Mavericks for a reason it would be just fine.

Mavericks 10.9.5 was actually as good or slightly even better than 10.8.5 with HD10/HD11 so make sure you have PTHD 10.3.10 latest version and it should be a really stable rig if optimizations are done according to Avids recommendations.

albee1952 11-14-2017 08:13 PM

Protect your *****ets by cloning your system drive, swap the clone into the machine and update that system drive. If it goes sour, put the old drive back in. If it goes great(and works solid for a few months), clone the other way so you have a backup:o

tonwurm 11-15-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiojimi (Post 2459585)

I have no issues with my PT 10.3.10 HD3 system on Mavericks

JFreak 11-15-2017 01:26 AM

It is not supported on Mavericks, but it works with minor issues. If you need Mavericks' features more than PT support, just go for it (knowing you can't complain if you find those minor issues...)

tonwurm 11-15-2017 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2459628)
It is not supported on Mavericks, but it works with minor issues. If you need Mavericks' features more than PT support, just go for it (knowing you can't complain if you find those minor issues...)

what are the "minor issues" you are experience ?

justDoug 11-17-2017 06:49 AM

You can run a dual-boot setup, and have both OSs on one machine. There are plenty of detailed "how-to" writeups online.

I 'multi-boot' with as many as four instances of assorted operating systems running on my workstations; each one optimized for a specific task.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

tonwurm 11-17-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justDoug (Post 2460041)
You can run a dual-boot setup, and have both OSs on one machine. There are plenty of detailed "how-to" writeups online.

I 'multi-boot' with as many as four instances of assorted operating systems running on my workstations; each one optimized for a specific task.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

same here...

Mavericks partition for PT10 HD3, Sierra partition for Logic , PT12 (very rarely in use), dedicated SSD´s ensure very fast startup

panamajack 11-17-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiojimi (Post 2459585)

Avid has documented that Mavericks may work with PT 10, but the "uninstall" will NOT work. They published a manual uninstall (for PT 10 running under Mavericks) in the Knowledge Base.

I installed Mavericks because I believe the video drivers are updated: I could get 4K and 2K with Mountain Lion (dual monitors), but was able to get dual 4K monitors (extended) with Mavericks. It depends on both the OS and the video card to get dual 4K.

I have several boot drives installed for different work spaces. Plus, some plugins need at least Mavericks.

Samanthas Dream 11-28-2017 01:16 PM

I never had any issues at all running HD10 with TDM on OSX 10.9.5. Uninstall is a pain, but its really not that big of a deal and only had to do it a couple of times when troubleshooting a few issues.