Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Mac Pro or Pro Tools PC ?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339818)

Becharax 06-12-2013 07:19 AM

Mac Pro or Pro Tools PC ??

What do you think folks ??

Put aside the expandability and PCI stuff ...

For non HD users ... what is best in terms of raw power

guitardom 06-12-2013 07:37 AM

Re: Mac Pro or Pro Tools PC ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Bechara (Post 2047158)
What do you think folks ??

Put aside the expandability and PCI stuff ...

For non HD users ... what is best in terms of raw power

existing mac pro or waiting for the new one??

If its existing, the PTPC would scream passed it speed wise. the new ones, we wont know because they are not released and would about guarantee the PTPC will have a CPU upgrade by then.

Hard to put the expandibility issue to the side though as just hard drive TB expandability alone of the new MP has the potential to cost almost as much as the PTPC itself.

Eric Lambert 06-12-2013 07:50 AM

Considering what the new Mac Pro is, I'd have to lean heavily toward (and I can't believe I'm saying this) a PC.

Meads 06-12-2013 08:00 AM

You always have the Hackintosh alternative.

Becharax 06-12-2013 08:04 AM

Weird ... I found the Mac Pro to be a real good deal !! why no one actually liked it ??

nst7 06-12-2013 08:54 AM

The existing Mac Pros use processing power from 2009, which is why current PC's will do better.

As for the new Mac Pro, it will be very powerful, but people may not like it because you will need external enclosures and chassis for almost everything you want to hook up to it, as there is no internal expandability.

KMcK 06-12-2013 09:11 AM

The new Mac Pro is only a single CPU. Looks like it's going to have some pretty crazy speed as far as data I/O, but any PC that comes with dual Xeon CPU's will probably trounce the new Mac Pro as far as raw processing power goes. You'll also be able to have more memory on a dual-CPU unit (8 slots instead of 4) so more maximum RAM.

In my work I don't have any issues with data not coming off the disks fast enough, but I almost always run out of CPU power. Therefore I'll be exploring ProTools PC's or Hackintosh options, but I'll be waiting for the Mac Pro to launch and keeping my eye on benchmarks before making any moves for sure.

guitardom 06-12-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2047165)
You always have the Hackintosh alternative.

The PTPC was spec'd with this capability. Its capable of either OS.

Meads 06-12-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 2047198)
The PTPC was spec'd with this capability. Its capable of either OS.

Yes, but you are not limited to the PTPC-specs. It's Ivy Bridge, so not exactly the greatest choice for PT.
You can build a more powerful PTPC of your own - which on top would cost you less.

dj_grimmace 06-12-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMcK (Post 2047182)
The new Mac Pro is only a single CPU. Looks like it's going to have some pretty crazy speed as far as data I/O, but any PC that comes with dual Xeon CPU's will probably trounce the new Mac Pro as far as raw processing power goes. You'll also be able to have more memory on a dual-CPU unit (8 slots instead of 4) so more maximum RAM.

In my work I don't have any issues with data not coming off the disks fast enough, but I almost always run out of CPU power. Therefore I'll be exploring ProTools PC's or Hackintosh options, but I'll be waiting for the Mac Pro to launch and keeping my eye on benchmarks before making any moves for sure.

I think the pro tools PC is only a single i7 cpu, not a dual xeon cpu. From the site:

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Unlocked

And a quad core at that. I'm on a Mac Pro early 2009 as well atm, but planning on jumping to a custom built PC. Still trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$ to get a xeon vs an i7.

For me, this is partially b/c of expandability, and partially b/c I'm super skeptical that Mac will continue to put out new Pro Mac models.