Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clicks at the very beginning of sessions> Playback and Recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=31796)

Alécio Costa 07-29-2003 09:48 PM

Clicks at the very beginning of sessions> Playback and Recording

Clicks at the very beginning of PT sessions

Hi folks!
Sometimes I get clicks in the very beginning of sessions. Even when quick punch is not enabled and when I am just playing back the session from time ZERO.

Yes, no problems with clock neither HD fragmentataion.

Based on this issue, please take a look the following quote I have just extracted from EQ forum, basically a thread bashing PT but with this amazing info from IZ President. Nika, are you there?

Sorry if this has already been posted on here. ( probably MM, T...)

Here it goes: [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Summary/Conclusion:
1) You must use Auto-Fade to avoid pops and clicks in your audio.
2) Auto-fade crossfade soundfiles are NOT written to the disk and are therefore NOT part of the audio.
3) If you lose your auto-fade values you will get pops and clicks.
4) The maximum auto-fade crossfade length is limited to 10 ms so if you want long crossfades on edits or punches your going to have to do them manually.
5) If you have alot of edits in a small region the DSP will have to do all of the crossfades of several audio files to one track in real time during playback. If there are multiple tracks it may mean that for short periods of time(during the crossfades) you have way more files being played/faded than the system can handle and you will get DSP error messages in addition to pops and clicks

Just to confirm, I also had Bill Heath go down to OmniSound today in Nashville and try this out on their ProTools system. Protools does indeed generate pops and clicks when Auto-fade is off and when it is on there are no crossfade sound files in the audio folder - only fade files in the Session so transferrring these files to another manufacturer's system would yeild pops and clicks unless you do a bounce.

--------------------
Barry, iZ President
www.izcorp.com

strunz0 07-29-2003 10:08 PM

Re: Clicks at the very beginning of sessions> Playback and Recording

isnt this a play back buffer issue?

Alécio Costa 07-29-2003 10:25 PM

I don´t think so. Everything is solid on here. BTW.. PT TDM 5.1.1/OS 9.2.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

gives 07-29-2003 10:29 PM

Alicio,

How goes the battle?

G

gives 07-29-2003 10:31 PM

Ale'cio, I mean

gives 07-29-2003 10:33 PM

Alicio,

How goes the battle?

G

Alécio Costa 07-29-2003 10:37 PM

HI friend! I think I did not get the joke!lol
Alécio

lg 07-30-2003 09:00 AM

Hey I had that problem myself, and it was always 1 of 2 problems.1 it was my hd that needed a defrag or that there was a problem with a freqency value
on a track that I had an eq insert on.What I suggest that you do is to isolate the track thats giving you the pop or click and remove all insersts on that track and you will see what Im talking about. I hope this helps

LG

s2n 07-30-2003 09:12 AM

It could be a few things:
1) HD fragmentation
2) slow HD
3) voice-allocation
4) DAE buffer's set incorrectly

Alécio Costa 07-30-2003 09:15 AM

s2n... none to your suggestions. Thanks Anyway

I don´t think it is a problem with freq settings also because the little click is before any audio starts playing and HDS are properly defragged. This is soemthing happens from time to time, not every day.