Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and macOS Mojave (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400209)

BillDog793 07-15-2018 12:00 PM

ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and macOS Mojave

Hey all, I know MacOS Mojave is still in it's beta phase, but I'm wondering what people's experiences were with the two most current versions of both. I'm still on ProTools 2018.3 waiting on news for the current version of MacOs High Sierra (10.13.6) to be officially supported, but will be wanting to switch over to Mojave if it doesn't kill PT

TNM 07-15-2018 07:30 PM

Re: ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and MacOs Mojave

do you need Mojave? really? The latest HS isn't even supported yet! Why cutting edge all the time? If i get the imac pro i am never going to upgrade.. we lose all 32 bit support with mojave... ALL....

HS had so many issues, Mojave will be good this time NEXT year.....

TNM 07-15-2018 07:33 PM

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

even 10,13,4 not supported, and I don't see any possible way to get an earlier version of High Sierra anyway

WOW avid are officially acknowledging "serious" low buffer cpu issues with HS 10.13.4 which would mean 10.13.5 and .6 are probably the same.

DARN.

This truly sucks. I hope they fix it! I won't have a choice if I get an imac pro! Damn it! Or even the new hexacore macbook pro! Will come with 10.13.6!

musicman691 07-16-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494159)
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

even 10,13,4 not supported, and I don't see any possible way to get an earlier version of High Sierra anyway

WOW avid are officially acknowledging "serious" low buffer cpu issues with HS 10.13.4 which would mean 10.13.5 and .6 are probably the same.

DARN.

This truly sucks. I hope they fix it! I won't have a choice if I get an imac pro! Damn it! Or even the new hexacore macbook pro! Will come with 10.13.6!

If one can get an initial release of HS somehow then all that is needed is the combo updater for whatever follow-on HS one wants and apply that. I've done that for previous versions of OSX.

TNM 07-18-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2494191)
If one can get an initial release of HS somehow then all that is needed is the combo updater for whatever follow-on HS one wants and apply that. I've done that for previous versions of OSX.

how? can't find it, i've looked.

Regardless, avid need to support the latest mac release..

Really, windows getting much more tempting, if it's didn't have that damn FLS slot issue i'd have switched months ago to a 14 core 28 thread desktop beast (7940x).

Now that there are workarounds for the multithread issue in Cubase which can use up to 32 threads in windows, only the FLS slot issue remains which affects PT, Cubase, all daws. So frustrating.. I have too decide soon as the next mac OS drops all 32 bit compatibility (which is why i can't wait for the 2019 mac pro) and i have too many 32 bit plugins i bridge then open in patchworx, as well as 32 bit apps unfortunately that i rely on. As well as lots of 32 bit hardware synth editors that will likely never get updated. That's the other reason.. I mean high sierra might be the last mac os I can ever use..

That said, if avid can fix it, the 10 core imac pro fully tricked out would probably do me for the next 8 years.

musicman691 07-18-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494455)
how? can't find it, i've looked.

Maybe some kind soul could provide it to you.

Of course there's always Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/10-13-High-Si...BSNHGRYCBAA63X

https://www.amazon.com/macOS-High-Si...erating+system

The first one is a dvd and the second a thumb drive.

TNM 07-18-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2494456)
Maybe some kind soul could provide it to you.

Of course there's always Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/10-13-High-Si...BSNHGRYCBAA63X

https://www.amazon.com/macOS-High-Si...erating+system

The first one is a dvd and the second a thumb drive.

I appreciate it truly but they don't ship to OZ..

Also imac pro is not listed in compatibility as bootable with it.

How about Avid just fix it since only pro tools is affected?

Cubase and Logic are fine.

octatonic 07-18-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494458)
I appreciate it truly but they don't ship to OZ..

Also imac pro is not listed in compatibility as bootable with it.

How about Avid just fix it since only pro tools is affected?

Cubase and Logic are fine.

You can't roll back to an earlier Operating System than what ships with the machine.

You will have to wait.
Sorry.

Sardi 07-18-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 2494472)
You can't roll back to an earlier Operating System than what ships with the machine.

When it was ORIGINALLY released, not what it is currently shipping with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNM 07-18-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2494474)

This.

Regardless, it doesn't matter, Avid told me they can't fix it, that it's apple's fault, and that other daws are affected with 10.13.4 and higher.

he then suggested i do NOT go to windows.. literally have the email right in front of me..

So he is telling me 10.13.4 and higher has to be fixed by apple, they have tried at avid and can't fix it, yet don't buy a windows machine cause too many variables.

I am just at such a loss...

kudos to Avid for answering so fast.. but i don't see any point in ever investing in a mac again as long as I live..

Because Avid support tell me it may be many months but when Apple fix it they will fix anything they need to from Avid's end as well..

Um.. don't they realise that 10.13.6 is lastly the final release of High Sierra and Apple will NOT be "fixing" anything else core audio wise, prior to Mojave?

So i have replied saying... There WILL be no "fix" from apple in High Sierra, so will Avid be fixing it or not.. yes or no?..I can not find any reports of low buffer issues in high sierra 10.13.4+ with cubase or logic.

I mean this is just ridiculous.. so tired of music chairs blame game.

Look at this.. propellerheads had the same issue, and they fixed it LOL.

https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en...Sierra-10-13-4

So they can do it, but avid blame apple. Same thing, performance issues.

It's obviously never going to get fixed.. The idea of a new imac pro is like probably burning 12 thousand dollars with fire. Sigh.

TNM 07-18-2018 11:38 PM

So this is interesting, the normal 10.13.3 update doesn't even work on an imac pro, you have to download the updater for the imac pro specifically.

I have no idea, even if I could find an earlier high sierra (imac pro's shipped with 10.13.2 so that's the one I would need) if it would be the right one.

Wow.

And yet 10.13.4 says it has fixed issues specifically for imac pro regarding graphic corruption and certain apps.

This is so confusing. But how could windows 10 be better anyway with all the updates and breaking things.

I guess it's time to research all the windows topics here and see what i can find about windows 10 and PT.

The whole point of buying an imac pro IS so i can work under 128 buffer.. if i am buying that machine to stay at 128 or 256 there is no point to begin with. i wanted the power.

I guess if I can verify that cubase and Logic have zero issues with imac pro and high sierra 10.13.4/5/6 then that is my cue to exit PT permanently and not renew.

Sorry for the topic hijack.

Just like Apple never fixed the el capitan graphics redraw issues until sierra, the same will apply here.. they will NEVER fix any so called audio performance issues in high sierra, they will only do it in Mojave, and mojave is impossible for me.. It's literally game over.. I have 50 things that won't work and never can be as they will never be updated to 64 bit.

Sigh.

Sigh

and

Sigh.

octatonic 07-19-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2494474)

My mistake, thanks for the correction.

skizzo 07-19-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494478)
So this is interesting, the normal 10.13.3 update doesn't even work on an imac pro, you have to download the updater for the imac pro specifically.

I have no idea, even if I could find an earlier high sierra (imac pro's shipped with 10.13.2 so that's the one I would need) if it would be the right one.

Wow.

And yet 10.13.4 says it has fixed issues specifically for imac pro regarding graphic corruption and certain apps.

This is so confusing. But how could windows 10 be better anyway with all the updates and breaking things.

I guess it's time to research all the windows topics here and see what i can find about windows 10 and PT.

The whole point of buying an imac pro IS so i can work under 128 buffer.. if i am buying that machine to stay at 128 or 256 there is no point to begin with. i wanted the power.

I guess if I can verify that cubase and Logic have zero issues with imac pro and high sierra 10.13.4/5/6 then that is my cue to exit PT permanently and not renew.

Sorry for the topic hijack.

Just like Apple never fixed the el capitan graphics redraw issues until sierra, the same will apply here.. they will NEVER fix any so called audio performance issues in high sierra, they will only do it in Mojave, and mojave is impossible for me.. It's literally game over.. I have 50 things that won't work and never can be as they will never be updated to 64 bit.

Sigh.

Sigh

and

Sigh.

Do you actually need to run 32bit and 64bit apps simultaneously?
It's very easy to make a partition (or use a separate drive all together) and install a more recent OS version. That way you can keep intact your current preferred OS version which runs 32bit apps, but you can also use Mojave too. As long as you don't need to run those apps at the same time, just having to wait around what....60seconds tops for a reboot and select the different boot drive? (assuming you're on a SSD) That should be an acceptable solution if so

TNM 07-19-2018 08:29 AM

yes of course I do.....

32 bit bridged plugins

and standalone synth editors

absolutely all at the same time when i load a song project ;)

thanks for your thoughts though :-)

musicman691 07-19-2018 10:27 AM

TNM:
You've got multiple machines - why not run VEPro 6 and tie them all together to share the load?

bom619 07-19-2018 10:59 AM

In the process of trying to find a work around, I created a clean Yosemite install and had EXACTLY the same DSP spiking issues with Pro Tools Ultimate.

I dont think it's entirely the OS and that there are two issues (OSX and Pro Tools) that incrementally changed about the same time; which is making trouble shooting very difficult. I am going to replace the Ultimate with an early version of 12 to see what happens.

TNM 07-19-2018 11:12 AM

I have seen a post at steinberg forums that mojave beta still has the same cubase lock up problems on export that started only with 10.13.4.. so apple obviously do not think it's their fault.. from what I can find out, it's something that changed in the graphics system when they added support for egpu's.

BScout 07-19-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bom619 (Post 2494521)
In the process of trying to find a work around, I created a clean Yosemite install and had EXACTLY the same DSP spiking issues with Pro Tools Ultimate.

I dont think it's entirely the OS and that there are two issues (OSX and Pro Tools) that incrementally changed about the same time; which is making trouble shooting very difficult. I am going to replace the Ultimate with an early version of 12 to see what happens.

Compatibility Matrix
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Yosemite last compatible is Pro Tools 12.8.1
Ultimate is not compatible.

TNM 07-19-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2494516)
TNM:
You've got multiple machines - why not run VEPro 6 and tie them all together to share the load?

Thanks musicman, i have thought of this myself.

The big issue for me is the added latency of VE Pro.. I have tried it during the demo, and to play VI's on the slave machine in realtime, it had to be at a higher latency than I am comfortable at.

This is why I just wanted one beastly machine.

Also, my macbook really is full of junk.. 1tb SSD is almost full from games and demos and constant junk i play around with on it.. It's really not optimised at all..

The idea i DID have, was to keep my current imac when i got an imac pro, and chain those permanently.. and I was hoping to be able to do that whilst also using the imac as a second screen for the imac pro, but any attempt to find out if i can use VE Pro slave power of my current imac whilst it also being in target display mode has been impossible to find unfortunately. I have searched and searched.

The latency would still be an issue, BUT.. i figure with the imac pro, it's so powerful that I can still compose the parts on it, and *then* shift the VI to the imac just for playback, where latency doesn't matter. It has 32gb ram itself and is ultra quiet, i disable turbo boost so the fan NEVER spins up and the cpu just stays at 3.4ghz constantly...
In any case, if i could get it to work, this would leave me heaps more headroom on the imac pro for massive projects, like 128 VI tracks and stuff.

I'm looking a the 10 core as it seems to be the sweet spot in every single test scenario and always above 3ghz clock on all 10 cores even with max load and thermals maxed. I presume a 3ghz skylake per core, will beat a 3.4ghz sandy bridge anyway, clock for clock, so I will get literally 3x the power of my current imac which is great.. if i can combine them, even better! So you are on the right track with your idea, but the macbook pro is far too noisy under load anyway, even if i reformatted it and streamlined it, to consider having it in the control room. I HATE fan noise :)

The PC i put together is not cheap, it comes in at 9 grand AUD for a 7960X 16 core, 64GB 3000 ram, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2 x 1TB SSD, fractal R5 case, 1200 corsair PSU, GTX 1080 Nvidia, thunderbolt 3 alpine ridge gigabyte, 7 noctua fans and cooler and fan controller.. With windows I can control fan speeds completely and have a set speed that never changes no matter what.. this is how I always built the machines by not using any PWM connectors and combinations of 3 pin fan controllers, and exactly how I'd do it now.. A set noise level that never changes.. It would only change when i boot up the gaming partition to play and the geforce fan spin up.. It's the MSI 1080 which is literally silent unless it goes over 60 degrees which will never happen using a DAW. Even so, it's SUCH a quiet card even when gaming. But yes, i want to game to relieve stress in spare time.. PC much better for that also.

BUT.. even the most staunch windows advocate i know, who has done nothing but sell microsoft based DAW's for 20 years now, told me Win 10 is absolute garbage and a single update that can be deferred but not stopped, can break *everything*.. he said it went to hell after release 1511.. So that really puts me off as well.. I just don't know what to do........

I think if somehow I can get a machine with 10,.13.3, i'll just go the imac pro. I am going to call apple tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with it or even deliver the machine with 10.13.3 and i'll explain i have no option as it's for pro tools and i need to run at 64 buffer. So hopefully, they'll have a solution for me.

Regardless, we have to pressure Avid to fix it.. As propellerhead showed, it can be fixed. Steinberg have also confirmed they will fix it. Yes, apple changed something, but apparently if you follow their guidelines for how certain graphical elements should be done, there should be no issues.

toolz 07-19-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bom619 (Post 2494521)

Hi, I'm in a similar situation.

Same CPU spikes, and I'm now back on Yosemite with 12.8.1, and it's solid and powerful, no spikes.. feels professional.

My findings, that they broke something in 12.8.2

Two months ago, I put a support ticket in for 2018.4, and Avid replicated the CPU spikes.

TNM 07-19-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolz (Post 2494531)
Hi, I'm in a similar situation.

Same CPU spikes, and I'm now back on Yosemite with 12.8.1, and it's solid and powerful, no spikes.. feels professional.

My findings, that they broke something in 12.8.2

Two months ago, I put a support ticket in for 2018.4, and Avid replicated the CPU spikes.

Something definitely changed with lower buffer sizes especially.. 12.4 and yosemite ran much better over here.. No weird cpu spikes though to be honest, not with sierra and 2018.4, it's just bad performance at 32 or 64 buffer but at 128 all is settled, it outperforms the other daws for me actually.

CygnusX-1Bk2 07-19-2018 05:45 PM

Best practice is to stay at least 1 OS behind. I just recently updated to Sierra on my home Ultimate rig, despite having standard running on High Sierra at work without issue. It's not usually until half way through the OS cycle for complete audio compatibility (if by then). I was on Mavericks for a long time until I had to upgrade to accommodate Waves and NI installers. I spent a while on Yosemite and updated to Sierra in the last month or so. If my systems go down I don't get paid. You are much better off upgrading your DAW software than the OS. Given all the issues with High Sierra I will likely be on Sierra for a good while. Likely until I will need to upgrade machines.

God help us all when Intel processors are replaced with Apple proprietary chips. Especially Hackintosh users. They're gonna be f&#@ed.

TNM 07-20-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 (Post 2494558)
Best practice is to stay at least 1 OS behind. I just recently updated to Sierra on my home Ultimate rig, despite having standard running on High Sierra at work without issue. It's not usually until half way through the OS cycle for complete audio compatibility (if by then). I was on Mavericks for a long time until I had to upgrade to accommodate Waves and NI installers. I spent a while on Yosemite and updated to Sierra in the last month or so. If my systems go down I don't get paid. You are much better off upgrading your DAW software than the OS. Given all the issues with High Sierra I will likely be on Sierra for a good while. Likely until I will need to upgrade machines.

God help us all when Intel processors are replaced with Apple proprietary chips. Especially Hackintosh users. They're gonna be f&#@ed.

you are correct, hence why, in my case for example, i waited before high sierra.

But in this case, it was actually a *mistake*, cause now I can't get the version that works properly with PT (and other daws, avid are indeed right, it affects cubase and some other apps as well, not just PT).

So I will go one further and give this advice to *EVERYONE* on osx.

The DAY the new OS comes out, download it from the app store and back up the installer. Official release revision point o.

That way, if you wait a year, and say, mojave 10.14.6 has issues with pro tools, but mojave 10.14.4 works.. you can format your machine (never do an upgrade, do a clean install), install 10.14.0 (for example), then just use the combo update for the best compatible PT OS version. The combos for every incremental update are always available.

You can go one further, if you have enough back up space, and download the full installer from the app store every time the OS is updated, so you can do a clean install all in one go with the best version.

if i had done this with High sierra, i would have had exactly what I needed to run Pro Tools with the proper compatible high sierra version. Now i'm screwed.

Lesson learned.

I think I need to start a topic cause this has gone way off the OP's (sorry again for that) to speak to anyone who owns an imac pro and if they ever needed to downgrade themselves.. I managed to find a 10.13.2 full installer, so I just hope that works on the imac pro.. if it does, i can go ahead and order one.

KV626 07-20-2018 06:40 AM

We all know a new OS means potential for new issues. Just use a spare drive/partition to test the new one when it comes out. No harm done.

Southsidemusic 07-20-2018 11:45 AM

Or one better even .. just email Apple and they will send you a link to whatever OS version you want free of charge. That way you dont need a bunch of half azzed OS versions that craps up the computer and only have one version.

PS - TNM / If tou start a new topic make sure you PM a moderator to separate all the posts that has been in this thread which aren't on topic please.

TNM 07-20-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2494615)
Or one better even .. just email Apple and they will send you a link to whatever OS version you want free of charge. That way you dont need a bunch of half azzed OS versions that craps up the computer and only have one version.

PS - TNM / If tou start a new topic make sure you PM a moderator to separate all the posts that has been in this thread which aren't on topic please.

no problem, thank you.

Eric Lambert 07-22-2018 01:06 PM

Getting back on topic, I've been using PT 2018.4 Ultimate with OS 10.13.6 without any CPU-related issues. Of course that's not to suggest success in every case, but it's indicative that there's hope for Mojave, and that a fix for the larger pool of 2018.x users could be close and not so hopeless. I'm considering testing the latest Mojave beta on a second rig to judge its potential.

Has there been any murmuring of a new release of PT?

TNM 07-22-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 2494747)
Getting back on topic, I've been using PT 2018.4 Ultimate with OS 10.13.6 without any CPU-related issues. Of course that's not to suggest success in every case, but it's indicative that there's hope for Mojave, and that a fix for the larger pool of 2018.x users could be close and not so hopeless. I'm considering testing the latest Mojave beta on a second rig to judge its potential.

Has there been any murmuring of a new release of PT?

That does sound good. Hopeful at least.

Avid told me that 10.13.4 through .6 have the problems, and they have been unable to fix it.. So i have to ask, what buffer size and interface are you using Eric? And what sort of mac?

There's definitely murmur of a new release, 2018.7, but there won't be any low buffer fixes in it.

TNM 07-23-2018 05:53 PM

So i've been on the phone to apple all morning, sales told me the apple stores should keep previous versions of HS...

Um...

Tech support closest apple store said they do NOT, and it is impossible to put 10.13.3 on an imac pro that comes with 10.13.6

They dont keep any sub updates, not even the original 10.13.0

If i had a compatible computer and i wanted say 10.11 or 10.12, then that they could do, but not previous versions of the OS it ships with.

That's direct from apple guys, I can not order an imac pro with 10.13.2, or 10.13.3

It was like talking to a child, was so frustrating.

musicman691 07-23-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494818)
So i've been on the phone to apple all morning, sales told me the apple stores should keep previous versions of HS...

Um...

Tech support closest apple store said they do NOT, and it is impossible to put 10.13.3 on an imac pro that comes with 10.13.6

If i had a compatible computer and i wanted say 10.11 or 10.12, then that they could do, but not previous versions of the OS it ships with.

That's direct from apple guys, I can not order an imac pro with 10.13.2, or 10.13.3

Do I understand that you have the iMac Pro now? If so it's your own fault for not checking this out beforehand. Don't blame Apple for your woes.

TNM 07-23-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2494822)
Do I understand that you have the iMac Pro now? If so it's your own fault for not checking this out beforehand. Don't blame Apple for your woes.

here we go.. you just had to have your dig.

I have NOT ordered an imac pro.. i do NOT own an imac pro.

I am trying to find a way TO order a new apple computer WITHOUT 10.13.6
am actually trying to do what you are accusing me of not doing, and organise this PRIOR to ordering a new machine. Cause I DO do my research before i spend such huge amounts of money.

eesn 07-24-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494827)
I am trying to find a way TO order a new apple computer WITHOUT 10.13.6

new hardware inside needs new drivers, and they place a minimum version requirement on the OS as a whole. CPU refreshes are pretty bad, as intel seem to have a new chipset out for every CPU revision they make. GPUs need their hardware IDs updated. etc.

Apple have a stupidly aggressive update schedule. If something breaks this late in an OS's lifecycle, fixes usually appear in the next major version. Avid, on the other hand, seem to be taking their sweet time in updating Pro Tools's engine to run without hickups.

SigFriedChicken 07-24-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494818)

Um...

+1

This is a problem with Apple now. It’s not easy to get an earlier version of OS X. When I went from Sierra to High Sierra, I tried to get the last version that Avid lists as compatible, but an Apple rep flatly said that this was impossible. I could only upgrade to the latest version of High Sierra.

This breaks the strategy of staying on the previous OS and only updating to the last version that Avid supports. If I had updated a few months ago, I would have been fine, but since Apple forces you to upgrade only to the latest version, you have a limited window of time to upgrade when Avid happens to support the latest version of the next OS.

musicman691 07-24-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken (Post 2494910)
+1

This is a problem with Apple now. It’s not easy to get an earlier version of OS X. When I went from Sierra to High Sierra, I tried to get the last version that Avid lists as compatible, but an Apple rep flatly said that this was impossible. I could only upgrade to the latest version of High Sierra.

This breaks the strategy of staying on the previous OS and only updating to the last version that Avid supports. If I had updated a few months ago, I would have been fine, but since Apple forces you to upgrade only to the latest version, you have a limited window of time to upgrade when Avid happens to support the latest version of the next OS.

So has Apple gotten away from being able to download whatever combo updater one wanted to use? Old strategy used to be grab the initial release of OSX and then grab whatever combo updater one needed.

Eric Lambert 07-24-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494764)
what buffer size and interface are you using Eric? And what sort of mac?

Any buffer size works and is dependent upon the tracks involved (I use a lot of VIs). Avid HD interface. 6-core late 2013 trashcan Mac.

SigFriedChicken 07-24-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2494924)
So has Apple gotten away from being able to download whatever combo updater one wanted to use? Old strategy used to be grab the initial release of OSX and then grab whatever combo updater one needed.

You can still get the combo updates. The problem is that you apparently can't get the initial releases anymore -- at least that's what an Apple rep told me. So, if you are currently running Sierra, there isn't a supported way of getting to 10.13.4. You have to go right to the latest version of High Sierra or stay on Sober Sierra.

I would love to be wrong about this, but it doesn't appear that you can download the initial release of 10.13 from their combo update page:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

Eric Lambert 07-24-2018 06:14 PM

Re: ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and macOS Mojave

I tried finding a fresh copy of a specific OS recently and it was like pulling teeth. This is why we've been saving the downloads and storing them away for safe keeping.

What I was able to do is go to the App Store, click the Purchased tab, and a few OSs were available for download.

musicman691 07-24-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken (Post 2494932)
You can still get the combo updates. The problem is that you apparently can't get the initial releases anymore -- at least that's what an Apple rep told me. So, if you are currently running Sierra, there isn't a supported way of getting to 10.13.4. You have to go right to the latest version of High Sierra or stay on Sober Sierra.

I would love to be wrong about this, but it doesn't appear that you can download the initial release of 10.13 from their combo update page:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

I've been able to find what I thihnk (but am not sure) are initial releases of an OSX version from Amazon

TNM 07-24-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eesn (Post 2494909)
new hardware inside needs new drivers, and they place a minimum version requirement on the OS as a whole. CPU refreshes are pretty bad, as intel seem to have a new chipset out for every CPU revision they make. GPUs need their hardware IDs updated. etc.

Apple have a stupidly aggressive update schedule. If something breaks this late in an OS's lifecycle, fixes usually appear in the next major version. Avid, on the other hand, seem to be taking their sweet time in updating Pro Tools's engine to run without hickups.

No.. the 8 core and 10 core imac pro came with 10.13.2, so they CAN run that or 10.13.3.. it's a case of finding those versions as full installers.. This is what works with pro tools properly.

eesn 07-25-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2494940)
No.. the 8 core and 10 core imac pro came with 10.13.2, so they CAN run that or 10.13.3.. it's a case of finding those versions as full installers.. This is what works with pro tools properly.

Maybe you could force the combo updater to install on top of a newer version, if you know your way around its plists/scripts, then whack the imac pro update on top. Maybe. I haven't tried it myself. Chances are it won't work. I wouldn't be able to help you. :)