Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Virus protection (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=66334)

Meat Truck 08-15-2002 08:13 PM

Virus protection

Hey everybody. I'm both new to DUC, and Digi001 and ProTools. I recently bought the system and will be running it soon on XP as soon as my friend helps me finish setting it up and working out all the bugs. One thing that comes to mind however is this: The computer I'll be running PT on is my only computer, and I also use this computer for everything else I do..including email. I read in the PT installation guide that I need to remove any virus protection software I have running on the computer. Well, I did, but I sort of value having virus protection considering I use this computer to get to the internet, and I wonder if anyone knows what will happen if I attempt to reinstall it? Why doesn't PT want virus protection on the CPU? Thanks all!

Mr_Seven 08-15-2002 08:45 PM

Re: Virus protection

Virus protection that works in the background uses CPU cycles that protools wants. Disable the protection, but run periodic scans and keep the virus definitions up to date.

Mark_Knecht 08-15-2002 09:37 PM

Hi,
Welcome to the group. I run virus protection (Norton) all the time. I won't put a PC on the network without it. Not worth the risk.

Virus protection that you have to run manually will likely not get run very often. If you download files much (who doesn't) then you want it running all the time, IMO.

As for Digi's recommendations, they are sort of lowest common denominator. It is not their goal, I think, to give you instructions to get the performance you want out of your PC on email or file downloads. They are trying to make sure that different things don't conflict with their software, and are making it easy for people to get started.

Virus protection does not cause me any problems at all. (PTLE 5.1.1/Win ME)

Take care,
Mark

murph16 08-15-2002 09:39 PM

I still use Windows 98SE and I do everything (internet, e-mail, PTLE) from one computer.
I keep EVERYTHING out of the start-up menu so I can run PT with nothing else running (resourses at about 95%)and if I go online, I start the firewall and virus protection manually.

With XP, I'm sure you can set a start-up profile that has nothing running so you can free up cpu power for PT.

It's worth it to take the extra steps.

I'm in the habit of re-starting every time I go from Pro Tools to basic computer mode and vise-versa. Seems to keep things smooth.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

keny 08-16-2002 01:14 AM

What's up Meat Truck! Bout time you showed up on the DUC! Listen to these guys they know what's up. You can learn a lot here.

See ya next week for episode two.

keny
(aka South Park)