Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Slate Trigger 2 - from a stereo drum kit mixdown? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368939)

Robusto 06-18-2015 08:26 PM

Slate Trigger 2 - from a stereo drum kit mixdown?

So, i'm trying to figure out if Trigger 2 would be of any use on a session that just has a stereo drum mix, no individual tracks for each drum. Would it be able to pick out individual drums and trigger with them?

nikhilmulay 06-18-2015 10:46 PM

Re: Slate Trigger 2 - from a stereo drum kit mixdown?

No.. It relies on audio levels and transients to trigger the sounds.
You might just be able to get the kick by low passing the incoming sounds and letting only the kick filter through.
Everthing else will be really difficult to isolate..

YYR123 06-19-2015 01:26 AM

Like impossible- re track it....it's easier in the long run

Robusto 06-19-2015 09:34 AM

Well, thanks guys! You just saved me $150!

YYR123 06-19-2015 11:16 AM

Now we didn't say that trigger wasn't great....b/c it is....I love it.

I just got the CLA expansion for $65

But it would have helped in the Situation you described

albee1952 06-19-2015 12:01 PM

While it would be a ton of work, there are some things that can be done to "spruce up" a poor sounding drum track(I had to do this on a project a while ago and had really good results). I created a batch of blank audio tracks below my stereo drums(which I split to 2 mono tracks). I labelled them for kick, tom 1, tom 2 and tom 3(snare and cymbals sounded okay). Using Tab to Transient, I found kick hits and grabbed just the smallest clip and did a Copy>Paste onto the new Kick track. Repeat the same for the toms(thankfully it was a fairly sparse drum track. Once I had my new tracks with tiny snippets, I inserted Drumagog(any drum replacement plugin works) and added in samples to augment the weak original drums. a lot of work? You bet, but a really happy customer is a return customer:D

WernerF 02-27-2016 12:21 PM

You for sure can do as Dave has suggested. Just be careful with tab to transient as it often times doesn't find the actual transient. It has a habit of being a tad random at times. It's even a bit more work but it is worth it to visually check every transient point. You can also do the same thing with Massey's DRT by getting it to pick the transients and then visually adjusting the ones you want to keep and eliminating the ones you don't need. You can then use the plugin to render those transient points to audio. This obviously needs to be repeated with every required drum. It's a lot of work but it does work and, as has been said, the client will love it.

AlexLakis 05-17-2016 08:58 AM

+2 for Dave's suggestion, I've done this before a few times (using Trigger here) and it always turns out stellar, the clients love it! :D