Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   EQ automation? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380454)

Ginridge 04-30-2016 02:53 PM

EQ automation?

I've recently upgraded from PT 10 and am mixing down a live concert (duo, guitar, percussion and 2 vocals) in PT 12. The show involves multiple instrument changes between 6 string acoustic, 9 string acoustic, Dobro, National Steel Guitar and Mandolin. Unfortunately, I was not given individual tracks, but 3 sub mixes of all guitars (DI and Live mic), all vocals and all percussion. This really restricts what I can do to clean up the mix. With all the guitars on the same track and constantly changing on each song, it would be a great help to be able to automate the EQ. Is there a way to do this? In a worst case scenario, I suppose I could create extra tracks and cut and past the different guitars into different tracks but that seems cumbersome.

I did a search of the forum and didn't come up with anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TrentWilliams 04-30-2016 03:18 PM

Re: EQ automation?

You can automate anything in PT.

There are many automation tutorials out there, do a bit of research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC82apUsd7I

Led 04-30-2016 03:52 PM

Splitting the different guitars out on to their own tracks is the better way to do it.
The different instruments won't just need different eq, but different compression, automation etc.
This is what most experienced mixers would do. It will make life a lot easier in the end and give you a better result.

albee1952 04-30-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 2353722)
Splitting the different guitars out on to their own tracks is the better way to do it.
The different instruments won't just need different eq, but different compression, automation etc.
This is what most experienced mixers would do. It will make life a lot easier in the end and give you a better result.

This would be my suggestion as well(but as said, almost ANYTHING can be automated). Look on this as a great teaching session and try both methods(that's the best way to find what works best for you:o)

Ginridge 05-01-2016 10:00 AM

Thanks very much for the great advice. For what it's worth, I did do several searches using the phrase "EQ automation" and "automating EQ" in the knowledge base and in the Avid forum with no results. I didn't think about You tube. Thanks for the link. It explained things very well. I've already started splitting the recording up based on the instruments used and will continue with that method for the this project since I'm basically doing corrective mixing, trying to overcome bad pre mixes, but now that I know how to do this, I can see the value of using it in a standard mix.

I will, however, give it a try on a couple tracks just to get a feel for it.

joachim 05-01-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginridge (Post 2353826)
I did do several searches using the phrase "EQ automation" and "automating EQ" in the knowledge base and in the Avid forum with no results.

An additional resource can be the Reference Guide (no internet required, already on the computer after installing PT) :
Chapter 46:Automation - Automating Plug-Ins.

albee1952 05-01-2016 03:00 PM

One automation EQ trick that I use a lot is for noisy/buzzy guitar amps(or amp sim plugins). I use EQ III's one-band EQ in a low-pass mode with the frequency set to 20K and enabled for automation. When the guitar plays a long held note or chord, as the guitar fades, the buzz becomes really noticeable, so I have the low-pass frequency gradually slide down as the guitar fades, which rolls off the high end buzz:D

amagras 05-01-2016 04:01 PM

I would separate every section and copy it to a new track.