Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Manual Delay Comp Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288087)

WinTaper 11-23-2010 06:45 PM

Manual Delay Comp Problem

I'm having a problem with delay compensation. I've setup an analog loop from output to input. I have determined that the recorded track is off by 72 samples. That is, the recorded track is 72 samples later than the source track.

According to what I've read, I should be able to enter a "User Offset" in track view. However, no value I can enter moves the recorded track up. If I put positive values in … 72, 144, etc and re-record, the recorded track never moves up. If I put negative values in, the recorded track ends up moving the wrong way (even later). So it looks like positive values should work, but they aren't.

So how do I get the recorded tracks to align to existing ones? I have Sonar on the same machine, and it has an option for manual sample offset where if I enter +72 and perform the same test, the tracks are sample perfect.

Dism 11-23-2010 06:58 PM

Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinTaper (Post 1709364)
I'm having a problem with delay compensation. I've setup an analog loop from output to input. I have determined that the recorded track is off by 72 samples. That is, the recorded track is 72 samples later than the source track.

According to what I've read, I should be able to enter a "User Offset" in track view. However, no value I can enter moves the recorded track up. If I put positive values in … 72, 144, etc and re-record, the recorded track never moves up. If I put negative values in, the recorded track ends up moving the wrong way (even later). So it looks like positive values should work, but they aren't.

So how do I get the recorded tracks to align to existing ones? I have Sonar on the same machine, and it has an option for manual sample offset where if I enter +72 and perform the same test, the tracks are sample perfect.

I think you may be confused as to how delay compensation works.

Delay compensation, manual or otherwise, only moves audio forward and not back. That is to say, if you are compensating for a track being 72 samples late, Pro Tools should move all the other tracks 72 samples later, rather than the one track 72 samples sooner.

Make sense?

WinTaper 11-23-2010 07:30 PM

No, I've got it right. You are describing plugin delay comp on playback. I'm talking about input (hardware) delay compensation when recording - specifically, I need compensate by a fixed amount.

It works the same in Cubase and Sonar (and it works in those). Regardless, +72 and -72 should compensate in opposite directions and they do not. Positive numbers do nothing.

Looks like a bug. I guess I can nudge all new tracks into alignment.

WinTaper 11-24-2010 07:04 AM

<bump>

WinTaper 11-24-2010 07:33 AM

OK, the help file says ...
Quote:

Pro Tools HD accounts for converter delays when using Automatic Delay Compensation. However, when using non-HD hardware, System Delay only displays internal delay and does not take into account any latency incurred by the analog-to-digital (ADC) or digital-to-analog (DAC) converters in your audio interface.
So, how do I manually enter the the additional latency Pro-Tools cannot measure? I know exactly what that value is. There must be some setting I am missing. No one has encountered this?

FYI, I'm using an RME HDSP-9652 (PCI) with Focusrite pre-amps connected via lightpipe.

AdamPT8 11-24-2010 07:59 AM

Is it the recorded track that is 72 samples behind the rest of the tracks?

AdamPT8 11-24-2010 08:02 AM

you will have to manually nudge it by the amount that you need to

Keybeeetsss 11-24-2010 08:12 AM

alt+H

But really, if ur tracking all new from scratch, it doesn't matter much because everything will still line up.. jus 72 samps from the timeline...

WinTaper 11-24-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamPT8 (Post 1709693)
you will have to manually nudge it by the amount that you need to

Every single time I do an overdub I have to nudge the recorded track?! I thought Pro Tools was professional software?! That's ridiculous. There must be some way to manually account for this.

Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo all can do this without nudging. I don't see how I can be the only person having this issue. Anyone using external DA/AD would have the same problem.

Either I'm looking in the wrong place or everyone with similar setups to mine is hosed.

albee1952 11-24-2010 09:00 AM

Use the last tab in the IO setup section to manually enter the desired amount of compensation for a loop that goes out and back. I have done this with a straight cable and found 1.35ms was spot on. Your device may have some latency so you will need to experiment to find the exact amount for the external device.