Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PT Mix - Power Card? Questions - It's a Mix Core labeled Power Card (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=258537)

Table Syrup Records 11-05-2009 06:50 AM

PT Mix - Power Card? Questions - It's a Mix Core labeled Power Card

Ok, so I have a card in my mix system that is unlike any I've seen.

It has a Mix Core sticker on it.
Serial and Peripheral connectors and card are laid out just like a Mix Core
Says POWER CARD on it.
Shows and Passes in Digitest as a Mix Core
Shows and functions in 6.4.1 Mix as a Mix Core

Is this a pre-mix release Mix Core???
I don't get it.
Is this card the same, identical, to a Mix Core? Same Specs?

milesofwire 11-08-2009 11:28 PM

Re: PT Mix - Power Card? Questions - It's a Mix Core labeled Power Card

Yes I have seen that as well, it's the older cards that say that, they are the same as all other Mix cards, just an older revision I suppose.

JFreak 03-25-2013 09:19 AM

Let me revive this old thread :) Does anyone still really remember this well enough?

My friend just called and said he bought a "MIX farm" card but the card motherboard said "POWER CARD" instead of "MIX CARD" which we have become used to. He also got an extra red mix card that said something like "SATCHMO" -- is this like a prototype card or what, anyone seen such card somewhere?

Should they just work together with a MIXplus system or was it money badly spent?

John_Toolbox 03-25-2013 09:41 AM

I had a red Samplecell I got off of ebay. From what I've read, the red PC board just means that it was a pre-release version for testing. The red samplecell worked just like any other one I had, never had a problem with it.

I think the same is probably true of these "Power Card" mix cards. Possible that MIX cards were originally going to be called "Power Cards", then a marketing decision was made to change the name after production had begun. AFAIK all mix cards and d24 were made to the PCI 2.1 spec, so even the early revs should still work in any G4.

JFreak 03-26-2013 12:13 AM

Okay...

So the green Power Card works fine, but the red card fails digitest every time, no matter the combination.

Oh well, it was extra card anyway so I guess he just throws it away

John_Toolbox 03-26-2013 06:16 AM

I wonder if the red card, being a beta card, was early enough to not be g4 compatible? It might actually work in a beige G3 or PM9600, this could have been one of the very first test versions ever made.

I'm kind of intrigued by it, I wonder if it has any functionality that release version mix cards did not? (Maybe it was initially designed to work with disk io core cards?)

JFreak 03-26-2013 11:13 AM

If you want to have it I may be able to convince my friend shipping it to you at your cost ;)

John_Toolbox 03-26-2013 12:20 PM

Sure, let me know. I'm up for trying. I'm planning on putting together an old school tdm system again when I have some downtime, so I have a dedicated rig that can run some of my older TDM plugs.

JFreak 03-27-2013 05:13 AM

It seems this can be done. PM me the shipping details and you should probably get the card sometime in April

sunburst79 03-27-2013 07:53 AM

Just a guess but Digi products usually had a in house Project name. EG the Mac to Windows port was "Frank" after Frank Zappa. My guess is that the "Satchmo" card is probably a prototype. A buddy has a (the?) 96io prototype and its a rack box with a circuit board hanging off the front via standoffs. Its fairly crude but PT sees it as a 96Io. Its kinda funny since whomever silk screened the board put pictograms of guitars, trumpets and saxophones on it. I'll ask if he remembers anything about Sachmo cards.