Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   ilok via a usb hub ? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395321)

Matt Darcy 11-26-2017 02:59 PM

ilok via a usb hub ?

I'd like to have my ilok plugged into a USB hub plugged into my mac.
However everytime I open pro-tools 12 with my ilok plugged into a usb hub the license fails to be detected and I have to plug the ilok into the mac directly, this wastes a port on the new macs with only 2 usb ports.

Have any of you got the mac working with a usb hub and the ilok plugged in to it ? what hub did you use ? did you make any software changes to get it detected ?

thanks.

Southsidemusic 11-26-2017 03:07 PM

Re: ilok via a usb hub ?

We have two usb hubs on each tashcan mac and one usb2 hub for the ilok only onmy brand new MBP and all works great.

However on one of the trashcans we had to get a powered hub as the trackball and midi interface was on the same hub it lost ilok connection too many times to not do something about it.

Check for powered usb2 hub for ilok as usb3 has issues of its own.

Dan IceWood 11-27-2017 08:34 AM

What speed USB hub are you using ?

Southsidemusic 11-27-2017 08:57 AM

Just a normal USB2 hub. The less fancy the better for ilok keys

albee1952 11-27-2017 09:10 AM

I know that USB3 used to be a "no go" for iLoks, but for the last 3 months(or more) I have 3 iLok 2's in a USB3 powered hub with zero issues(yes, its connected to a USB3 port on the PC). I do think you probably NEED a powered hub:o

Matt Darcy 12-02-2017 03:31 AM

that would be really disappointing if you "need" a powered usb hub,

I've also had the same issue with my ilok using usb port on a powered thunderbolt 2 dock.

The amount of hassle and pain iloks cause on a day to day basis is shocking.

musicman691 12-02-2017 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2462243)
that would be really disappointing if you "need" a powered usb hub,

I've also had the same issue with my ilok using usb port on a powered thunderbolt 2 dock.

I actually like having a powered USB hub - gives me a place to plug my cell phone into to charge it when I'm working.

Matt Darcy 12-02-2017 04:25 AM

wasting a plug socket just for the ilok is very unappealing

musicman691 12-02-2017 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2462248)
wasting a plug socket just for the ilok is very unappealing

May be unappealing but if you need it so you can work than appealing goes out the window.

Drew Mazurek 12-02-2017 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2462243)

iLok cloud licenses will make this a thing of the past. Well, at least they'll be different hassles! :)

uptheoctave 12-02-2017 04:56 AM

I've used a D-Link USB 2 hub for the last 10 years without issues.

It is bus powered and works with Waves USB key, iLok, Steinberg key all without issue and all at once.

musicman691 12-02-2017 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2462253)
iLok cloud licenses will make this a thing of the past. Well, at least they'll be different hassles! :)

I wouldn't trust the cloud to anything. Also what if you're someplace that has no or spotty internet access?

What would be a good thing is they way Steinberg has both the hardware dongle and the s/w version. That way you could use either as suits your working style. The only problem with the Steiny way is some of the developers that use the system mandate the use of the h/w dongle and don't allow the s/w version. We already have some developers that use the iLok framework but don't mandate the use of the actual iLok dongle.

Drew Mazurek 12-02-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2462257)
I wouldn't trust the cloud to anything. Also what if you're someplace that has no or spotty internet access?

What would be a good thing is they way Steinberg has both the hardware dongle and the s/w version. That way you could use either as suits your working style. The only problem with the Steiny way is some of the developers that use the system mandate the use of the h/w dongle and don't allow the s/w version. We already have some developers that use the iLok framework but don't mandate the use of the actual iLok dongle.

Like I said, different hassles.

musicman691 12-02-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 2462256)

It is bus powered and works with Waves USB key, iLok, Steinberg key all without issue and all at once.

Waves USB key? Do you mean a flash drive?

musicman691 12-02-2017 05:05 AM

Something came to me just now looking at my setup. I use the Apple wired long keyboard with numpad and they have 2 USB ports - why not use that for the iLok if you use that particular keyboard? Doesn't help Windows users but for Mac people it could help.

panamajack 12-02-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2461428)
. . . Have any of you got the mac working with a usb hub and the ilok plugged in to it? . . .

I plug my iLok into hubs daisy-chained from first tier hubs. On the old-style 2015 MBP with USB3 ports, I go from the laptop to an external drive with a built-in USB3 hub. From that I daisy-chain to both a Kanex powered USB3 hub and a Phillips 288P6 4K monitor with another 4 USB ports: it has two USB2 ports and two USB3 ports, one of those is fast-charging.

On the 2016 MBP I have two CalDigit docks, a USB-C and a TS3 lite. And I plug additional hubs into those. The USB-C hub can charge the 2016 MBP with 60w, which opens up a TB3 port (under heavy usage, the Apple charger provides 87w). But if I plug an unpowered USB3 hub in the CalDigit (such as the TRENDnet USB-C 4-port Ultra-Mini), the charge drops to 30w (enough for a trickle charge for the MBP).

I connect trackball, external keyboard, Shuttle Contour, iLOK, 11R, Apogee Element controller, external spinner hard drive, external SSD drive, DVD drive, Waves USB license card, and a MIDI hub. That adds up to 11 USB ports. But I do not always need everything simultaneously. The Mac Towers have five USB 2.0 ports. The Sonnet Allegro USC-C PCIe card is a nice upgrade. They bring performance up to date for USB 3.1 Gen 2: 10Gbps, and they also deliver 15w power per port (USB 3.0 provides 4.5w) for bus-powered devices. Auto-negotiates a one lane data link in a PCIe 3.0 slot (PC) or two lanes in a PCIe 2.0 slot (Mac Pro tower). Sonnet reports this card is NOT compatible with El Capitan 10.11, but is compatible with 10.10.5, 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

The Mac OS reports the additional power available when the wall wart is added to a hub configured for a power adapter.

FYI, the CalDigit USB-C dock supports the Apple SuperDrive and the external keyboard (there was a Firmware update in February 2017).

64GTOBOY 12-02-2017 10:51 AM

I keep my I-Lok and my Waves license license thumb drive on an unpowered 4 port hub that goes with me along with and files I may need on another thumb or two. No problems with plugging in to either 2.0 or 3.0 yet but I'm on Windows.

Wire57 12-03-2017 04:51 AM

Well, I do not seem to have any issue with my iLok in a USB(2.0) hub and running ProTools.
As my next question, I'll have to find out if I really need my Mbox2 Micro with my PT.
(NEW: Windows 10 home, Creators Fall update [Version 1709, SysBuild 16299.64, 64bit], 16 GB RAM [1600 KHz]
C:\ = SSD 500 GB, D:\HDD 1 TB @ 7200 rpm, Intel I5 quadcore...
PT12.8.2, Mbox2 Micro
[And Sibelius 8.7.2])

VRW 12-03-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2461428)
I'd like to have my ilok plugged into a USB hub plugged into my mac.
However everytime I open pro-tools 12 with my ilok plugged into a usb hub the license fails to be detected and I have to plug the ilok into the mac directly, this wastes a port on the new macs with only 2 usb ports.

Have any of you got the mac working with a usb hub and the ilok plugged in to it ? what hub did you use ? did you make any software changes to get it detected ?

thanks.

Have struggled a lot with this issue the last few months and did not have any luck using the iLok on
1) a good quality powered USB 3 hub
2) an unpowered USB 2 hub

Finally found only two ways to get that son-of-a-b... of an iLok to work as it is supposed to, which were
1) on a powered USB 2 hub
2) on the built in USB 2 hub of the Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard

At the moment Iīm using version 1 which means I have plugged a powered USB 2 hub into my powered
USB 3 hub. On this powered USB 2 hub I have the iLok, my Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard and another
USB 2 flash drive with all my Waves, PA and HOFA licenses on. All other USB gear I have connected to the
powered 7-port USB 3 hub which is directly connected to the (USB 3) port of my MBP. So this finally works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wire57 (Post 2462375)
Well, I do not seem to have any issue with my iLok in a USB(2.0) hub and running ProTools.
As my next question, I'll have to find out if I really need my Mbox2 Micro with my PT.
(NEW: Windows 10 home, Creators Fall update [Version 1709, SysBuild 16299.64, 64bit], 16 GB RAM [1600 KHz]
C:\ = SSD 500 GB, D:\HDD 1 TB @ 7200 rpm, Intel I5 quadcore...
PT12.8.2, Mbox2 Micro
[And Sibelius 8.7.2])

Actually the Mbox 2 Micro is not supported with Windows 10/PT12 anymore. Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Micro-Drivers

You might get another compatible, more current audio interface or use the the internal engine of your
computer with the Asio4all driver. However the Asio4all driver will work for mixing and editing only
probably. If it comes to recording you rather will need an external audio interface because of latency
issues with the internal engine/Asio4all system (besides the lack of decent Audio In/Outs).

As being on PC/Windows obviously you might look into RME audio interfaces which are still the best
working, most stable ones for Win/PC systems.

The best of success to both of you.

Cheers.

Eric Seaberg 12-04-2017 07:40 PM

I have a Thunderbolt Dock on my iMac which adds 5-USB3 ports with 2 of the 5 being powered. My iLok2 is plugged into that without any issues whatsoever. I also have a powered USB3 hub plugged into the Thunderbolt Dock and iLok2 works on it, as well.

The Thunderbolt port I have is here:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12T1/

Great pricing, also adds HDMI out and analog audio I/O.

Southsidemusic 12-04-2017 08:20 PM

Yes we have the same hub as Eric Seaberg and it works Great! I have started to think maybe the USB issues people have had with iloks dropping out is due to the fact that if you have more peripherals attached to the computers USB ports and other ports the more juice is needed and then the powered hubs are the way to go.

I have never had the USB3 problem on any of our three MBP's and never on the two nMP either but also we have had powered USB3 hubs since the start of using the USB3 ports.

This might be a guess from me but maybe a powered hub is needed when there are more hungry external devices connected ... Hope the OP gets this working quickly as these issues shouldn't be this hard to fix in "2018" when we can do soo much other amazing things in the world, this niggle stops a whole studio and the people in it all because of a small "blue piece of plastic" disconnecting when it feel like it :cool:

Andy Gone 12-05-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 2462256)

I am using the same setup without issues too (i'm on PC)

Matt Darcy 04-14-2018 08:45 AM

I'm bumping this thread, as I still can't get this working, 2015 mbp, powered usb 3 hub (loads of models, last one tried was an anker) non-powered USB2 hubs, powered usb2 hubs, how can this product be so weak yet be the core tool needed to use your software,

I should point out that while testing this I just have the USB hub plugged in with an ilok2 and a thunderbolt 2 connection to the audio device, that's it, nothing else.

VRW 04-14-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2484753)
I'm bumping this thread, as I still can't get this working, 2015 mbp, powered usb 3 hub (loads of models, last one tried was an anker) non-powered USB2 hubs, powered usb2 hubs, how can this product be so weak yet be the core tool needed to use your software,

I should point out that while testing this I just have the USB hub plugged in with an ilok2 and a thunderbolt 2 connection to the audio device, that's it, nothing else.

Hey Matt, I hear you as I had lots of problems with the iLok2 too. One thing which never failed to work was to have the iLok plugged into one of the USB 2 ports of the original Apple Keyboard with the Numeric Keypad.

This always worked when nothing else did at the end of the day. I now have found a variant where I have plugged a powered USB 2 hub into a powered USB 3 hub which is then connected to my MBP finally. I have to say
this really works now. No other hub-variant ever did before though. Even a non powered USB 2 hub into my powered USB 3 hub going directly into my MBP...no chance.

So try this. A powered USB 2 hub into a powered USB 3 hub directly into one of the USB 3 ports of your Mac. However if anything else fails to work get the original Apple Keyboard with the Numeric Keypad and plug the
iLok2 into one of its USB ports. That will work for sure from my personal experience.

The best of success to you.

Matt Darcy 04-14-2018 10:54 AM

I hope so, as you won't believe it, after ilok manager asked me to update (I was using ilok manager to test if the hub was picking up the key or not) I plugged the ilok into the mac and upated the ilok manager software, all of sudden ilok won't work at all, it's detected, but it won't sync and it won't activate pro-tools, so now time for the over the top recovery process with ilok which means I have to ship the device from the UK to the states just to be able to use the software I've paid to use....on a device I've paid to hold my licenses, it normally takes about 8 weeks door to door, so 8 weeks, lots of hassle and cost to use software I'm paying to use.

I hate ilok, it's the biggest scam ever.

musicman691 04-14-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2484767)
I hope so, as you won't believe it, after ilok manager asked me to update (I was using ilok manager to test if the hub was picking up the key or not) I plugged the ilok into the mac and upated the ilok manager software, all of sudden ilok won't work at all, it's detected, but it won't sync and it won't activate pro-tools, so now time for the over the top recovery process with ilok which means I have to ship the device from the UK to the states just to be able to use the software I've paid to use....on a device I've paid to hold my licenses, it normally takes about 8 weeks door to door, so 8 weeks, lots of hassle and cost to use software I'm paying to use.

I hate ilok, it's the biggest scam ever.

This is why you should have ZDT coverage and a second iLok. ZDT is $30 US per year and the cheapest insurance one can ever have. I have it on both of my iLoks - wouldn't have it any other way. Also the free TLC (theft & loss coverage). I'd rather have an iLok than any other licensing system.

Now if only Vienna used an iLok instead of their own dongle I'd be as happy as a clam.

Matt Darcy 04-14-2018 01:10 PM

you're right, I should have ZDT, however, why should I pay more for something I'm already paying for, and has an operating model that doesn't work, why do I need to fund a work around for a shoddy operating model and engineered lock in, we all know there is no real reason to have to send the ilok back and go through the drawn out process.

The hardware is poor, the software is average, the solution is terrible. I'm not giving them more money than I have to.

musicman691 04-14-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2484786)
you're right, I should have ZDT, however, why should I pay more for something I'm already paying for, and has an operating model that doesn't work, why do I need to fund a work around for a shoddy operating model and engineered lock in, we all know there is no real reason to have to send the ilok back and go through the drawn out process.

The hardware is poor, the software is average, the solution is terrible. I'm not giving them more money than I have to.

Why pay more? So you can keep working that's why. For the majority of people the iLok works just fine - it just has a problem with not always playing nice with USB3 ports.

Like I said - it's the cheapest insurance one can buy. You certainly don't go without car or home owner's insurance right?

The reason the iLok has to go back is so they can recover your licenses. They're not going to release the software to do that to the open world or else intellectual property (aka software) would have no value.

You have no one to blame for being in this situation but yourself.

Matt Darcy 04-16-2018 01:27 PM

thats pretty much the worst reasoning I've heard.

you have a product that you HAVE to buy from a specific company
you have a product that you then have to pay extra on top of to give you a temporary license why they charge you more money to replace the item that has failed, and make you pay over the top shipping fee's to the USA from the UK, while they then take a protracted time period to then recover your licenses and then charge you to ship a replacement for the product that has failed back out to you.

That's not insurance, thats basically "we are such as scam and rip off, we're in a position to charge you more money to minimise your dealings with us"

in the modern world, where you have to sign up for an ilok account that is linked to your physical device, it would not be a problem for them to just void your old ilok, and push the new licenses to your account with the replacement ilok in, no need to send it back, no need for weeks of recover, no need for over the top shipping process, it's basically a lock in tax.

musicman691 04-16-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2485024)

you have a product that you then have to pay extra on top of to give you a temporary license why they charge you more money to replace the item that has failed, and make you pay over the top shipping fee's to the USA from the UK, while they then take a protracted time period to then recover your licenses and then charge you to ship a replacement for the product that has failed back out to you.

That's not insurance, thats basically "we are such as scam and rip off, we're in a position to charge you more money to minimise your dealings with us"

in the modern world, where you have to sign up for an ilok account that is linked to your physical device, it would not be a problem for them to just void your old ilok, and push the new licenses to your account with the replacement ilok in, no need to send it back, no need for weeks of recover, no need for over the top shipping process, it's basically a lock in tax.

Whatever, dude. You've been given how you could have saved yourself from all this grief but you just don't get it. I and many others would rather spend the money on ZDT and a second iLok. But if you want to live life on the edge then so be it.

VRW 04-17-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2485024)

Matt, basically you are right but, you know, they simply won't change anything at all. It works for them so they keep doing it.

You only have two options finally: accept what you cannot change even if it hurts or change it. There's no other way out, dude.
I never liked the iLok system as well but finally I decided to stay with Pro Tools and stay with the plug in manufacturers who use
this licensing system anyway.

If it leaves you too unhappy just leave the system. Get, for example, Logic Pro X which has become a fantastic DAW over time and
seriously can compete with PT nowadays and only use plug ins which do not use the iLok system anymore.

There are fantastic, professional plug ins out there which are not licensed via iLok like all the Waves, all the Plugin Alliance and many more.

However if you decide not to change that all try to cope with it. Doesn't make sense to fall into despair or never ending anger because of
something you cannot change finally. There are so much more important things in life at the end of the day.

However if you decide to stay with the iLok system I have to agree with Jack: get the f... ZDT! If you go with the iLok system it makes your
life so much easier for just $30.- per year. Itīs really really worth it at the end of the day.

Anyway I can understand you and, you know, you always have the option to leave that system. Today there are serious alternative options
you could use instead finally.

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW

musicman691 04-17-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRW (Post 2485141)
Matt, basically you are right but, you know, they simply won't change anything at all. It works for them so they keep doing it.

You only have two options finally: accept what you cannot change even if it hurts or change it. There's no other way out, dude.
I never liked the iLok system as well but finally I decided to stay with Pro Tools and stay with the plug in manufacturers who use

If it leaves you too unhappy just leave the system. Get, for example, Logic Pro X which has become a fantastic DAW over time and
seriously can compete with PT nowadays and only use plug ins which do not use the iLok system anymore.

There are fantastic, professional plug ins out there which are not licensed via iLok like all the Waves, all the Plugin Alliance and many more.

However if you decide not to change that all try to cope with it. Doesn't make sense to fall into despair or never ending anger because of
something you cannot change finally. There are so much more important things in life at the end of the day.

However if you decide to stay with the iLok system I have to agree with Jack: get the f... ZDT! If you go with the iLok system it makes your
life so much easier for just $30.- per year. Itīs really really worth it at the end of the day.

Anyway I can understand you and, you know, you always have the option to leave that system. Today there are serious alternative options

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW

Elegantly said my friend. Life's too short to beat one's self up about something like this. Like this prayer:
Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Matt Darcy 04-21-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRW (Post 2485141)

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW

I think that's the key, it's just pure frustration of in a modern world there are better ways to deal with this issue of protecting data on devices, you see key security devices ranging from black box license devices to random number generating dynamic keys for most commercial products where upon failing you don't need to be out of action for days, and you certainly don't need to send the device back to get your data recovered by some guy holding a root key, they ship out the dumb cheap device (or you buy one) and re-sync, the frustration isn't that the system is on a physical device, or that it fails (they are cheap, they will fail) it's the over the top process and costs it demands, they must have a large non-usa base, yet return to the USA is the only option, there is no investment in device sync/replication. I'm happy with pro-tools and I feel it's something worth continuing with, more so as an amateur swapping software isn't helpful.

I think the frustration is around the pointlessness and costs of the process overall, but to have it happen a an unexpected time, eg: the device was working, ilok told me to update to the current license manager - I did that and the first open after the update the device is broken....it feels questionable, but then if you don't upgrade and raise an issue the first thing support tell you to do is upgrade to the latest version, the whole thing feels like a scam

you must buy our hardware
you must use the software and software versions we tell you
if that software then triggers a break you must follow a process that is a pain and costs money
you must then buy another of our devices

if you want to use the software while following this process of our making you must give us more money, but you must still follow this process in the background.

it's just a case of sucking it up I guess, and keeping up to date with other options such as the new cloud sync stuff I've been reading about.

Wizzoboy 04-27-2018 02:30 PM

You see, that's where ZDT with TLC comes into it's own. You can recover your licences to your spare iLok almost immediately. No sending your iLok back and waiting for a return. Your making excuses for a problem that does not exist.
As to reliability, my current iLok is the one I got way back with PT 11.0, and it is still going strong.

misterphoneman 04-07-2019 12:26 PM

*Solved* (well at least for me)

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to post this in case someone comes across it as this issue had bedeviled me for years!

I have a 2013 MBP 15" Retina and had the exact same issue that the OP was experiencing. I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread except for the USB 2 powered hub. I was using the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Hub for my peripherals but my iLok would not work on it.

But now OWC has come out with the Thunderbolt 3 Hub so I grabbed one and a couple of Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapters, wired everything up, plugged the iLok into the hub and lo-and-behold, it "finally" works for me!!

No more eating up a USB port on my laptop just to run my iLok!!

OWC link is here...
https://www.owcdigital.com/products/...3-dock-14-port