Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Hard Drive Choices in 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408958)

the.engineer 03-19-2020 08:08 AM

Hard Drive Choices in 2020

Hi Everyone,

Recently my Raid 0 array took a dump (2x 2TB 7200rpm Seagates) and freaked me out. I got it back working again after reseating the drives in the Mac Pro 5,1, so far so good.

Now Pro Tools is throwing -9073 errors all over the place even though my sessions are in the Disk Cache. I transferred a session across to my boot drive (see signature) and it works fine, no -9073 errors.

What's the next step? Replace the Raid 0 array with new spinners? Replace it with 2.5" SSDs? Or get anoyther PCIe M.2 board with more slots and run my sessions of a smaller NVMe drive?

Your advice is, as ever, greatly appreciated.
Best,
James

arche3 03-19-2020 08:13 AM

Re: Hard Drive Choices in 2020

Get 2 ssds put on the sleds. Plenty fast enough for protools. Don't need to raid 0 them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JFreak 03-19-2020 08:20 AM

SSD into sled for boot drive and PCIe M.2 for audio/samples. As said, you can safely skip RAID altogether.

the.engineer 03-19-2020 02:40 PM

Just ordered a 2TB OWC for an audio drive. Should keep me going for now!

Thanks chaps.

lesbrunn 03-19-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2557483)
SSD into sled for boot drive and PCIe M.2 for audio/samples. As said, you can safely skip RAID altogether.

Why not NVMe for the system drive?

JFreak 03-19-2020 08:56 PM

System drive does not need to be the fastest. Some have reported issues with old cheesegraters if they only run PCIe storage (with sata bays empty) but cannot confirm as my mac pro is a trashcan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weezul 03-20-2020 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesbrunn (Post 2557537)
Why not NVMe for the system drive?

Booting and opening applications, the difference between SATA SSD and Nvme is negligible, almost the same. It's the increase in access time that helps boot time the most, having to grab lots of different files from the drive. But the difference between a spinner and SATA SSD is absolutely massive.

However, loading sample libraries the speed difference becomes more obvious and beneficial. Of course the trade off, is NVMe storage costs more. Personally, I have NVMe as boot drive, scratch disk for heavy data workloads, along with sample libraries I use on the daily (basically, pt instruments). Then I have a large SSD for samples I don't use as often (Kontakt Library etc), another SSD for current session projects, and then 4x HDD NAS for master backup of files. Don't forget your cloud backup!!!

the.engineer 03-20-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezul (Post 2557597)
and then 4x HDD NAS for master backup of files. Don't forget your cloud backup!!!

What NAS do you have?

lesbrunn 03-20-2020 05:55 AM

Quote:

Booting and opening applications, the difference between SATA SSD and Nvme is negligible, almost the same. It's the increase in access time that helps boot time the most, having to grab lots of different files from the drive. But the difference between a spinner and SATA SSD is absolutely massive.

However, loading sample libraries the speed difference becomes more obvious and beneficial. Of course the trade off, is NVMe storage costs more. Personally, I have NVMe as boot drive, scratch disk for heavy data workloads, along with sample libraries I use on the daily (basically, pt instruments). Then I have a large SSD for samples I don't use as often (Kontakt Library etc), another SSD for current session projects, and then 4x HDD NAS for master backup of files. Don't forget your cloud backup!!!

OK. I didn't realize the difference between NVMe and SSD was negligible for the system. I use NVMe for my boot drive and NVme/SSD for audio and samples.

bobcharest 03-20-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

I just replaced all spinners with SSD, and I agree, the speed difference is wonderful. One laptop that I just bought had 250 Gb NvME drive. I replaced it with a 1 Tb NvME drive. The NvME was just slightly higher priced than the 1Tb SSD drives I used, but is less expensive than, say, Samsung QVO 1Tb drives.

Great to have such inexpensive choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk