Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   New Mac Pro 16 core... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412448)

audioluche 10-30-2020 05:02 PM

New Mac Pro 16 core...

:eek::

Just wow!
I have my new Mac Pro since two weeks, i slowly installed everything, made a couple of upgrades, slowly tested Pro Tools on the machine while doing my sessions with my old trusty 5.1 Mac Pro.

I began testing some heavy sesions on the new Mac Pro with the mac sound engine. That was nice, sessions causing drop outs on the 5.1 mac were playing happily with a 40% cpu usage. I could not play these sessions for more than 15 seconds on the Old mac pro, it would stop. I had to freeze a couple of tracks.

So i continued to download the latest vesions of a gazillion of plugins, installing software in my rare free time.
This week, i decide it was time to make the real switch.

For the last two days, i made the switch, installed the HDX card in the new computer and start working on current mixes. Wow! This thing is insane!!!
In session that i had a couple of tracks frozen, where the playback was always stoping beacause cpu usage was in the red, i am now sailing smoothly at a 15% cpu usage, i cant beleive it!

This is so cool!

And i was thinking that mixing with HDX was taking some cpu ressources, from what i read. Well this is clearly not the case here, as cpu usage dropped by a big margin here between the same session running on mac internal playback engine and HDX.

Anyway. I am just so happy to have made this big upgrade, i wanted to share my experience.

Cheers!

Luc

crizdee 10-31-2020 04:45 AM

Re: New Mac Pro 16 core...

Hi,

Sounds great :D

Currently negotiating my soul with the devil to get one :eek:

Chris

arche3 10-31-2020 08:45 AM

I think for audio 16 core is the sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marsdy 10-31-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioluche (Post 2581486)
:eek::

Just wow!
I have my new Mac Pro since two weeks, i slowly installed everything, made a couple of upgrades, slowly tested Pro Tools on the machine while doing my sessions with my old trusty 5.1 Mac Pro.

I began testing some heavy sesions on the new Mac Pro with the mac sound engine. That was nice, sessions causing drop outs on the 5.1 mac were playing happily with a 40% cpu usage. I could not play these sessions for more than 15 seconds on the Old mac pro, it would stop. I had to freeze a couple of tracks.

So i continued to download the latest vesions of a gazillion of plugins, installing software in my rare free time.
This week, i decide it was time to make the real switch.

For the last two days, i made the switch, installed the HDX card in the new computer and start working on current mixes. Wow! This thing is insane!!!
In session that i had a couple of tracks frozen, where the playback was always stoping beacause cpu usage was in the red, i am now sailing smoothly at a 15% cpu usage, i cant beleive it!

This is so cool!

And i was thinking that mixing with HDX was taking some cpu ressources, from what i read. Well this is clearly not the case here, as cpu usage dropped by a big margin here between the same session running on mac internal playback engine and HDX.

Anyway. I am just so happy to have made this big upgrade, i wanted to share my experience.

Cheers!

Luc

Congratulations!

It’s a beast of a machine to be sure. I’m having the most stable, trouble-free Pro Tools experience I’ve had for years.

arche3 10-31-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2581536)
Congratulations!

It’s a beast of a machine to be sure. I’m having the most stable, trouble-free Pro Tools experience I’ve had for years.

Are you on 16 core as well?

Marsdy 10-31-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2581549)
Are you on 16 core as well?

Yes the 16 core. For me it was the best trade off between number of cores and core speed, especially as I use a lot of VIs and VE Pro.

audioluche 11-01-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2581513)
Hi,

Sounds great :D

Currently negotiating my soul with the devil to get one :eek:

Chris

Go for it Chris, you wont regret it!:D

audioluche 11-01-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2581536)
Congratulations!

Thanks!

Nice to hear that.
It’s only been a couple of days for me, but i am so happy with the system!
And i am running my sessions from a usb disk!
Since i am not sure yet on what i will buy for internal storage.
And still, it smokes my old Mac Proby at least 5 or 6 times the power.

innesireinar 11-02-2020 02:24 PM

It sounds great. But I am a bit disappointed about the apple policy in the pro area. After the 5.1 they released the trashcan that was totally unusaful, especially for those who wanted to put a pci card into it. In the 2019, after 6 years, they finally released a great modular machine but now, after only a year apple announced that the entire line will be replaced by a line with Silicon processors.

arche3 11-02-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innesireinar (Post 2581697)
It sounds great. But I am a bit disappointed about the apple policy in the pro area. After the 5.1 they released the trashcan that was totally unusaful, especially for those who wanted to put a pci card into it. In the 2019, after 6 years, they finally released a great modular machine but now, after only a year apple announced that the entire line will be replaced by a line with Silicon processors.

I'm a bit twisted about this also.