Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Separate Studio LS, Cue and Talkback (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316192)

Smico 01-25-2012 04:10 AM

Separate Studio LS, Cue and Talkback

Hi folks,

I've got a question about the routing of the above on a C24.

I want a setup, where I can:
- put Talkback on both Studio LS and Cue
but
- put the PT-signal only to the Cue

If I press "On" at the Studio-LS, I get the talkback, but also the PT-signal in the studio - which is unacceptable in a recording situation.
If I turn it off, I get (of course) neither talkback nor signal.

Why I need that? Sometimes we got two or more speakers here at once, and as you know, some of them like headphones and some of them don't. But I need to communicate with all of them of course.

Is the C24 capable of doing this or do I have to route this in some way on my patchbay/PT-outs?

Greetings and thanks in advance

Smico 03-07-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Separate Studio LS, Cue and Talkback

Nobody's got an idea?

EarHole 03-07-2012 11:18 AM

If you have enough outputs couldn't you run the headphone amp separately?
Use Cue 7&8 for the Studio Monitor and 5&6 for the headphones.

snozzgtr 11-02-2017 01:08 PM

Smico, I realize this thread is ancient, but this is exactly the question I'm trying to get an answer to. I'm surprised there hasn't been more people discussing this exact thing. Why in the world would Avid expect you to feed a live cue signal into the studio LS monitors while there are live mics in the room? Why?! How about feedback problems? How about the cue mix bleeding into the recording?

I don't get it either. I'm not going to be switching the studio LS monitor switch on and off every time I want to hit the talkback and speak to someone that's not wearing headphones.

Smico, if you found a solution to this, please let me know!

JonC

albee1952 11-02-2017 02:02 PM

There are many ways to make talkback happen, and most allow for NOT having the TB mic feeding control room speakers(as you mentioned...to avoid feedback). The important detail is to route the TB mic in a way that keeps it out of the main mix. On my friend's C24 rig, the TB output goes directly to an input of his headphone amp. For my own rig, I gave up on the onboard TB mic and button in favor of an automated system. Using the free Sound Radix Mute-o-matic plugin, my sessions have 3 mono AUX tracks(Mute-o-matic on each). My control room mic(which could be the C24 mic because it is an available output off of one of the DB-25 connections) feeds one of the AUX tracks, which sends to my 6 headphone mixes(this track does NOT route to the main outs). The other 2 AUX tracks are fed by boundary mics in the tracking room(on a wall) and the drum room(on the ceiling). Mute-o-matic is set(on all 3 tracks) to mute when rolling transport(play or record). As soon as I hit STOP, all 3 mics open and everyone can chat between the CR and all the headphone mixes:o

snozzgtr 11-02-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2457534)
There are many ways to make talkback happen, and most allow for NOT having the TB mic feeding control room speakers(as you mentioned...to avoid feedback). The important detail is to route the TB mic in a way that keeps it out of the main mix.

Albee1952, I do appreciate your suggestions. However, I want to clarify that the TB mic is not feeding the control room speakers, but the studio (live room) speakers...the "studio LS." I have plenty of ideas how to create my own setup, and thank you for the plugin suggestion. HOWEVER, what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is why, oh why, would they design the studio LS feed to contain the cue send, and not separate it from the ability to use the talkback to just feed the studio LS? It would make sense to me to have the TB feed the studio LS at all times, and have a switch to send either the cue or the main main mix, or neither to the studio LS.

The pro studio that I cut my teeth in had two large format consoles (a Neotek IIIc and a SSL 4048E/G+) and they both operated this way.