Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Imagination is Dead........ (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=68213)

l2evolve 11-02-2002 08:54 PM

Imagination is Dead........

OK guys and girls. Please post your most creative recording technique(s) using Pro Tools' best resource, your imagination.

I am gearing up for a pretty extensive project, pretty part being debatable [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , and would like to come in with a few more creative trix/ methods in the bag. Like "fishbowl" miking, kick drum "tunneling", ect...

Phil O'Keefe 11-03-2002 01:00 AM

Re: Imagination is Dead........

There's tons of "tricks" and methods... but tricks for tricks sake don't usually fly around here. If it's musical and appropriate to the situation, that's another matter entirely. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] So maybe it would help if you describe the nature of the project a little more...

Jotown 11-03-2002 05:52 AM

So are you saying that your Imagination is Dead?

Or are you saying that Imagination in general is Dead?

Or is it that imagination in music is dead?

I am so confused. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Jotown:)

electrobank 11-03-2002 09:27 AM

Well darn it, I was going to name my band Imagination is Dead. Back to the drawing board.

If your are looking for musical inspiraction, don't to turn to ProTools. Its just a tape machine.Here are few tricks that a few people know. No big secrets here and nothing that I can take credit for...

Keying a gate to get some "choppy-arpeggiated" sounding stuff.

60Hz "keyed" in on a kick drum

Trying swithing up your drum mix- Drummers perspective vs. listener perpective.

Tape a room mic to a mirror or window.

Triple Mic everything.

You might be able to use some of these thing.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jonah 11-03-2002 01:30 PM

Best technique ever - stick your guitar into a digi and record what comes out.End of.

David001 11-03-2002 01:58 PM

Re: Imagination is Dead........ *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001

marcusb 11-03-2002 02:01 PM

Why not use your OWN imagination to come up with some creative recording techniques [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

With regard to 'imaginative' recording techniques I personally would concentrate on recording your artist properly before taping mics to the drummer's butt and what not. I would hate to see another post from you in a few months 'Fix it in the mix ?' complaining you've got terrible sounds on disc and are having trouble mixing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By all means experiment but do it on a spare track or as an overdub rather than concentrating on it as a primary sound in the mix. Good luck!

Cheers,
Marcus

Jonah 11-03-2002 02:20 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried it yet - but it sounds pretty interesting...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps you could try it for us all and then report back. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

l2evolve 11-03-2002 08:31 PM

Alright...... keep em coming. And please take in mind. I'm not at all worried about mix down. Just creativity. Your ears never fail you. Just what's in between. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

_Dova_ 11-07-2002 06:05 PM

This tip is more for for newbies.

Learn to seperate the creative side of writing music with the logical side of recording/mixing in protools.

You can combine these two elements., but something usually gives in the process (ie.. your ears, your creativity, your drive.)

Take it as far as you can creatively, and then move it to sessions.

CREATIVITY LIVES!!!!!!