Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Assign Module Hardware not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384438)

ampnerd 09-24-2016 12:29 AM

Assign Module Hardware not working

I'm setting up my S6 for the first time (M40 32 channel) Everything is wired correctly as far as I can tell. The lights on the ethernet switch are all lighting up and blinking as they should.

At the Assign Module Hardware page I have dragged the correct module configurations into the frame and then I hit next and it asks me to identify the first fader bank etc. but none of the modules are lit up. According to the Getting Started Fast instruction video I just watched it's at that point (hitting next) that the modules are supposed to light up so you can select them?

There is power to all of the modules as when I move a fader and let go it bounces back. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sean

amolin 09-24-2016 04:18 AM

Re: Assign Module Hardware not working

I had the same problem when setting up mine, I'm pretty sure it was because the network was not assembled correctly...

ampnerd 09-24-2016 04:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Amolin. Do you recall what you had to do differently with the network to remedy the problem?

I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong with the ethernet wiring. All the modules are going into the switch and then the ethernet 2 jack on the back of the master module is going into my Mac and ethernet 1 is unconnected.

Postman 09-24-2016 06:26 AM

Everything goes to the S6 switch, including port 2 from the MTM and your Mac. The MasTerModule's port 1 can be unconnected or can be used for a direct internet access to the internet. Mine is unconnected.

edit: Oh, and, in the above configuration, make certain your Mac's port to S6 is set up to use DHCP and is not a DHCP server. There can be only one DHCP server, which the MTM's port 2 does by default.

amolin 09-24-2016 07:15 AM

I did the same as you, but the main module and your computer also needs to be connected to the switch.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 01:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Anders and Postman, thank you both for your great input. It was indeed that I didn't have port 2 of the Master Module connected to the switch. But...I'm still not up and working! I'm sorry to keep hassling you but could I ask for more help?

Here's what's going on...

Now when I configure my modules in the configurator and hit next to identify each module the "DO" all light up but when I touch a fader on bank 1 to identify it it does nothing.

So here are a few questions for you.

At this point I am supposed to have my DAW computer hooked up (also to the switch) right? I do and I have the S6 WSControl software installed and also version 3.3.2 of Eucon Control.

The problem is when I click on the S6 WSControl icon in my Mac menu bar it says "Not Connected". If I click the Network Setup option it brings up the Network Setup page and has the correct Desk ID (I have it set to 2) and shows the correct ethernet port it is using to connect but when I launch Eucon Control the S6 does not show up in the list. In Workstations I do see my computer. I've included a few screenshots if that helps shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, and is Eucon Control 3.3.2 the correct version? A few times when I've opened it it comes up with a dialog asking me to make sure my"S3" firmware is up to date. Why S3?

Many thanks for your time on this.

amolin 09-24-2016 01:22 PM

Try to turn off your wifi, mine made all sorts of strange errors when I had wifi on...

amolin 09-24-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampnerd (Post 2383361)
I do and I have the S6 WSControl software installed and also version 3.3.2 of Eucon Control.

I dont think those two are compatible, only WSControl or Eucon Control can run, not both at the same time. Try to close Eucon Control and se if it helps.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 01:34 PM

Thanks Anders. I just tried both. Still can't get the configurator to recognize any of the modules tho.

Hey, another quick question. I'm surprised that the system hasn't asked me to do any firmware updates to the modules. This board is over a year old and is being set up for the first time now. The manual implies that you will be prompted to do updates but that has not appeared for me and I'm pretty sure they would need updating. Did you have to on your system?

Thanks!

Postman 09-24-2016 02:38 PM

You should be able to configure the surface without your Mac connected at all. Try that after a power cycle.

When you first enter the S6 settings page, what is displayed in the diagnostics info? So you see the software version of your master module? When the modules all light up but you are unable to get the first bank fader module to be identified, try touching one of the other banks. Does ANY fader module identify? Maybe the first module isn't connecting to the S6 network?

Amolin is correct, Un-install EuControl. You only want S6Control, the same version as the Master Module software (v2.2, for instance). But, you should still be able to identify the modules.