Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   One fader controller for PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412816)

sixpointmusic 11-22-2020 12:57 PM

One fader controller for PT

Hello PT friends,
I'm looking for a one fader controller that can easily control volume fader, pan, and plugins parameters.

I'm looking at Presonus Faderport v2(2018) and Behringer X-TOUCH ONE.
Anybody has experience using one of these with Protools?

I see Faderport v2 has Link function that you just put your mouse cursor on a plugins parameter, such as any knob on EQ, then move the knob on Faderpot, you can control that parameter, very useful. But I read that won't work on HUI - Protools.

Also looked at Icon Platform but seems like you can't control plugins parameters. (I might be wrong.)

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks! :-)

---------
Protools Ulti 2019.12
Mac OS 10.14.6
Mac 6,1

albee1952 11-22-2020 03:28 PM

Re: One fader controller for PT

I've not had any luck for plugin control with any 3rd party option. I started off with the old Presonus Faderport and it worked very well, except the pan knob, which did not work well at all(I now do all my panning with the mouse and automation). I then bought the Behringer X-Touch One and hated it. Why? #1-Too many buttons that did nothing in HUI. #2-No buttons to switch between MIX and EDIT windows. Check before you buy as I believe the Faderport 2 also has no buttons to swap those windows. I needed that function enough that I bought another original Faderport(these old ones are a bargain at under $100).

It might be worth looking at the Avid Control app(on a tablet or iPad) to see what that has to offer. Your best option is probably the Avid Dock!, but its considerably more money:o

That's my 2 cents:rolleyes:

sixpointmusic 11-22-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2584696)
I've not had any luck for plugin control with any 3rd party option. I started off with the old Presonus Faderport and it worked very well, except the pan knob, which did not work well at all(I now do all my panning with the mouse and automation). I then bought the Behringer X-Touch One and hated it. Why? #1-Too many buttons that did nothing in HUI. #2-No buttons to switch between MIX and EDIT windows. Check before you buy as I believe the Faderport 2 also has no buttons to swap those windows. I needed that function enough that I bought another original Faderport(these old ones are a bargain at under $100).

It might be worth looking at the Avid Control app(on a tablet or iPad) to see what that has to offer. Your best option is probably the Avid Dock!, but its considerably more money:o

That's my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!
I was afraid that some function in both Faderpot and x-touch one may not work in HUI.
I emailed presonus tech if the Link function works in PT. let's see..
Avid Dock is a bit too much price and size for me.

I didn't even think about the Avid Control app until you mentioned somehow. It's free! I just tried on my iPhone and it's working well. Faders are easy to move, knobs are a bit tricky but it's fine. I can control all parameters on any plugins and it's very easy to enable automation(press cntl+opt+comm on your keyboard then touch any parameter on the app.) And you can add shortcuts too.

I would still prefer physical fader and knobs but this app might be the answer for me. I'll try on iPad for a while and let's see..
Thanks for the info albee!

JFreak 11-22-2020 08:05 PM

One-fader solution would be Avid Dock. Then you only need to add iPad with Avid Control then you have much more control over your one finger.

originalscottyg 12-11-2020 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need an Avid XS1. :D

albee1952 12-12-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2587188)
You need an Avid XS1. :D

:p:p:p:p