Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Going from D-Command to S3 + Dock (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378849)

amolin 03-15-2016 07:40 AM

Going from D-Command to S3 + Dock

My D-Command is getting old and a bit tired, so am looking for a replacement.

I would love a S6, but it's not exactly cheap, thats why I was looking at the S3. Last week I got a demo of the S3 and the Dock, and it looks really nice (I dont like the small meters though).

Has anyone replaced an ICON desk with a S3?
And if you have, are you happy with it?

Drew Mazurek 03-15-2016 07:49 AM

Re: Going from D-Command to S3 + Dock

Quote:

Originally Posted by amolin (Post 2342160)
My D-Command is getting old and a bit tired,

Curious what you mean specifically mean here.

I am in the same situation, but I don't necessarily think an S3 (lacking dedicated EQ/Dyn, custom faders, etc) is better.

What did you like better about the S3?

jacko 03-15-2016 08:12 AM

That is going to be a downgrade in many areas. Things you will loose:

- dedicated EQ/Dyn sections
- ability to CYCLE between EQ / Dyn plugins (only the first one can be accessed using EQ and DYN functions on S3)
- dedicated layers with all VCA, AUX, Master Faders
- custom fader mapping for plugins
- dedicated Auto, Trim, Input, Rec buttons on each fader
- indicators for automation modes
- SEL button... look at your D-Command and imagine that SEL button is between faders where RD light is. Consider that faders are packed more tight and for most people pressing SEL on S3 means touching adjacent faders.
- single fader send flip
- custom fader groups that you configure on the surface, not in an EUCON application window

... still considering?
pm me and I might buy your D-Command ;)

amolin 03-15-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2342164)
Curious what you mean specifically mean here.

It's one of the good old blue ones, and a LOT of music has been mixed with it. The knobs are getting loose, and starting to fail sometimes. Sometimes when turning it on I has to power off and on again a couple of times to get master volume knob to work. Stuff like that, it's getting a bit physically tired ;)

Then I looked at replacements, and the only one I can find is the S3, due to the price on the S6. The $ is getting more and more expensive here in Denmark, and that makes the S6 even more expensive.

The S3, stand alone, is in no way interesting, but paired with the Dock it can do a lot more of those things we are getting used to on the ICON desks.
I had a 1.5 hours sitting with Anders Glantz from Avid, and he demonstrated the S3 and the Dock for me and answered all my questions.

Yes, the dynamic and EQ sections are missing, but instead they can "spill" on the rotary knobs. Different, I know, but I think I could get used to it. The settings can also be accessed from the Dock and the rotary knobs there.

Nope, unfortunately no custom faders, but Eucon have some fader/channel layouts which I think could be powerfull one you get used to it. And, VCA spill is implemented.

I asked Glantz if he thought it was an up og downgrade from the D-Command, and he said: Neither, it's a totally different animal.

So I have been thinking about: What can it do for me and my studio, would I be able to fir it into my workflow, and maybe even optimize my workflow due to some of the different stuff in the S3/Dock...

Brandonx1 03-15-2016 08:29 AM

The s6 m10 is the d command replacement. I own an s3 and a s6 and have used icons, and c24s for years and years. I would fix the d command with the 7k you are thinking of spending on the s3 and dock. S3 is more a c24 replacement. I do like the s3 it's just not a d command

amolin 03-15-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonx1 (Post 2342175)
I do like the s3 it's just not a d command

I agree. The only thing that makes it interesting, I think, is the S3 and the Dock together. Stand alone the S3 is not really usefull.

made 03-15-2016 11:18 AM

I own a S3. Can't think of in what way the dock makes the S3 a better surface..?
you can simply add an ipad. for most functions and buy a lable printer for you knobs...

The only advantage I see over an D-Command is that you could use other DAW with the S3. I'm using it with Reaper. Works okay with certain drop outs at higher track counts

arche3 03-15-2016 02:32 PM

Get a used d control.

amolin 03-15-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by made (Post 2342221)
I own a S3. Can't think of in what way the dock makes the S3 a better surface..?
you can simply add an ipad. for most functions and buy a lable printer for you knobs...

The Dock works really good together with the S3, I'm interested in both, without the Dock the S3 is not interesting for me.

And well, the Dock can do more that the normal ipad app, some extra features are enabled in the app when it's connected to a dock, and without the dock you only have the touchscreen, and i'm not into changing parameters on a touchscreen.

But have you tried the dock? ;)

amolin 03-15-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2342279)
Get a used d control.

Thats also one of the things i'm thinking about ;) But they are not so easy to find...