Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ??(From Mac to K2500) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=36680)

Targon 08-18-2000 01:07 PM

Re: ??(From Mac to K2500)

Use Bias Peak to do SCSI transfers ,much faster than the way u are doing it.

Digi really should implement SCSI Transfer of audio files to SCSI samplers...life would be so much nicer....and we can live only in the one environment ie Pro Tools

TaRGØN

petter 08-18-2000 03:07 PM

Thanks, Targon.
I don´t have "Peak"....and I also know
that is not so easy to make a good SCSI
conection between K2500 and Mac..(???)
I still believe it must be a way to burn a CD which could be recognize by Kurzweil.
But I tried (Toast ) all posibilities, and
I just get : "not a real DOS disk, problem
mounting disk", etc.....hmmm.....
Maybe, with a PC....../P.

petter 08-19-2000 12:37 AM

??(From Mac to K2500)

I use to work like this : the samples I like (after editing in Pro Tools, etc....) I save on a floppy diskette(!!!), (DOS format. in my Mac.). From this diskette I can load the sound into my Kurzweil K2500.
OK....it is very slow, and I tried another way to do this transfer but without results The floppy diskette is also very "limited" ( only 1.3 Mb!!!)....The great thing about Kurzweil is that it can read a lot of different files (inclusive Wav and AIFF).
.....but it should be a way to do a faster transfer from the computer....
...like burning a CD-R somehow....I do have a SCSI CD-ROM player on the K2500...
Thanks in advance for your help.../P.

crs_h 08-19-2000 02:15 AM

SCSI connection between the K2500 and Mac is a piece of cake as long as there aren't a bunch of peripherals in the chain (the K2500 needs at least one ID for itself, and another for whatever drive you have as the K2500 drive). as long as you have SCSI ID's sorted out, it works fine. i think the default ID for the Kurzweil is 6. so, with no ohter peripherals, you'll still have 4 ID's to keep track of (the Mac, Mac's HD, K2500, K2500 drive)

you really need to use peak with a sampler like the K2500, it makes life a whole lot easier, trust me. SCSI transfer is much, much faster. it's way easier to do your sample editing/processing in peak and just fly it right over to the K2500. sample editing on the kurzweil is ok, but it is far faster in peak.

IMHO, peak is better suited for your sample editing than pro tools is. the new version of peak can even use VST plug ins, as well as Premiere and AS/RTAS plug ins (and if you have a TDM system, it'll run those plug ins as well). take the time to figure out how to make it work, it's that much better

crs_h 08-19-2000 02:20 AM

by the way, the K2500 is kind of fussy about what it recognizes as a drive, since the DOS format is some exotic variation. the kurzweil will not recognize the Mac's drive as a viable storage option, but the K2500's drive will mount on the Mac desktop. i back up my K25 drive this way by taking whole .K25 final files and just dragging and dropping to the Mac drive.

petter 08-19-2000 04:08 AM

Thanks, crs_h!
It looks like Peak is... the solution.../P.
PS : ...In fact, I was inst. a Peak demo last
night, but with the sample function
desibled....(Demo..) It was also not the last version...so, no way to test it before
buy-it....(???)

[This message has been edited by petter (edited August 19, 2000).]

Targon 08-19-2000 05:04 AM

as crs mentioned..the K2500 communicates really smoothly with the Mac....personally i have never had any trouble with my Mac an K2500.

Just remember that the K2500 defaults to SCSI ID 6......u can change this but it returns back to ID 6 after a hard reset.

I use Peak all the time with the K2500, as i mentioned..never a prollem...

I prefer Pro Tools for sample editing..Choppin beatz up an moving them around is so much eazier than anyother app.Peak is ok but Pro Tools is just beautiful to use. Few things would make it nicer such as stereo tracks an import an conversion of MP3 files.Oh an SCSI ..and simple drag&drop track markers that get attatched to a bounced file so that Jam can recognise an burn .if it did these i wouldnt need any other app:P

Concerning the file system on the K2500......despite what Young Chang tell u..the file system is just a reall old DOS version...like i mean really old.

If u have the latest OS in the K2500 it will read ISO 9660 Joliet formatted CD's. check it out.

Anywayz explore your options...um email me dude i should be able to help u a little more ;=]

TaRGØN

petter 08-19-2000 05:58 AM

Thanks for your help, again, Targon!
I did try ISO 9660 but I have OS 2.80
(K2500). Now I am dowloading 2.96
(latest one ?). , so let´s se....
...but I understand that Peak must be the
way ...
I´ll be back!

petter 08-19-2000 06:32 AM

Yes!!
This was it! With OS 2.96 on my K2500
I can now read ISO (or DOS) CD-s!!!!
Great.Thanks.
....next step, Peak./P.

petter 08-20-2000 02:31 PM

Last news....:
Yes, I downloaded a Peak demo with the "sampling edit" enable.
I connected the Mac, with (SCSI cable) the Quantum Hard disk (I use for the samples from Kurzweil), than thru (SCSI) to K2500. (RIGHT ID-s!!)
...and I was lucky ...but just for a short time....
The Quantum drive appears on the desktop, but not all the maps and files are present !!!!!?????.
Than, when I tried to add one more drive (SyQuest 135Mb), ....well, first
it appears on the desktop, but than it just disappeared !!!. You can se it on the Mac´s SystemInfo, but not on the desktop....
OK....I started working with Peak, and after some time I felt confident enough for some "real work"....
It worked well (yes, much faster than "before"), and it was perfect....
until the whole map from the Quantum(K2500), (with the whole 4,5 hours of work) , was....GONE!!!
...now, I suspect that something like this happens :
I started to pick-up the original samples (into the Peak) from a CD
(ethno loops for ACID- wav files). I used the CD player from my Kurzweil
(Apple 300), which, of course, could be seen on the desktop, as well.(The CD, I mean)....
The map on the hard disk had the same title like the CD - "ETHNO" (!!!!).
Suddenly, I realized that I don´t need the extern Apple drive (of course....!!!!),
and I decided to move the CD into the Mac´s CD player.
I thrashed the CD, from the player....
and I suspect that during that operation I removed (thrashed) the map from the
Hard disk as well (....having the same name... - ?????).
This is still the...."best" explanation....
Anyhow, this business does not work perfectly....and I wonder if somebody
has similar problems....Thanks/P.
....Sorry for the very complicated message, and for my English..
Thanks again everyone (Targon and crs_h)