Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   X-Mon same for Control as command? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321248)

bearease 04-16-2012 06:07 PM

X-Mon same for Control as command?

I'm replacing a D-Command with a new D-control. Are the X-mon units identical? I don't want to re-rack the X-Mon if I don't have too.

Craig F 04-16-2012 06:18 PM

Re: X-Mon same for Control as command?

as far as I can tell they are the same, I have both installed here

bearease 04-17-2012 02:15 PM

Sound good to me.
Thanks Craig!

janmuths 04-18-2012 04:04 PM

There are differences. The D-control has 4 stereo ins, the D-command 3. D-control has 7.1 main and surround inputs, D-command 5.1 inputs.The D-control has 3 cues, the D-command 2.
Check if any of these matter for your studio. The connectors (db25) on the back of the XMon are identical and the pin-outs are as well if I'm not mistaken. Looks like the D-command XMON simple doesn't use some of the pins.
I'd assume that there are differences in the analog circuitry between the 2 XMONs. Remove the D-command xmon and replace with the d-control xmon. All your current leads/snakes should work as before. Consider to add the connections above if you need it.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jan

Craig F 04-18-2012 04:29 PM

Jan they are the same box, it's just how much is available given wether you have the D-Con or the D-Com

I have 2 D-Coms and 8 D-Cons, I can use any XMON on any surface

janmuths 04-19-2012 11:42 PM

Hi Craig, that's interesting! Have you tried 7.1 monitoring with the d-command? If the xmon box is identical you should be able to hook 7.1 up and control volume from the D-command. Interesting!

:-)

J.

Craig F 04-20-2012 07:15 PM

no, we don't do any 7.1
and the D-Coms are in out ADR and Foley rooms that are set up 2.0 only

if I get some time this summer I'll try swapping a D-Con with a D-Com and report back but it will be late June at the earliest

janmuths 04-25-2012 11:45 PM

Thanks Craig.

Would be nice if an AVID rep could clarify. The hookup-diagrams and pinouts diagrams in the OM don't give a clear answer here.

It's irrelevant for cue3 and stereo4 as there are no controls for these on the D-command. But the Main/Alt outs... that makes sense!

I wouldn't be surprised if the XMON units were exactly identical. The easiest way to find out is patch a signal generator across the 7.1 master-fader, bring the Main speaker volume up and check the output of the XMON C/R section. No need to swap consoles, just hook-up snakes that follow D-Control's pinouts (8ch) between interface and XMon in and XMON out to speakers. We'd have prove if signal appeared on all 8 outs.

Interesting, interesting...

J.

Brent_Sydney 04-26-2012 05:19 AM

AFAIK theyre the same unit (current Avid staff please correct me if I'm wrong) - if you plug a 7.1 signal into an xmon connected to a dcommand you'll have dim and overall mute control but you wont have the individual solos/mutes as the buttons aren't there. That's what I was told when I asked this question a few years back.
(Hey Jan!)

janmuths 04-27-2012 06:04 PM

Good to hear from you Brent. Thanks for clarifying :-) How are things going in Sydney?

Greetz from (rainy) Byron

Jan