Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Clock Source Error - General question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=320066)

paulrgmusic 03-25-2012 11:13 AM

Clock Source Error - General question

Hi

After trawling the DUC archives, the general consensus about how to solve the Clock Source/Sample Rate error seems to be "nobody knows".

I have no problem with this and am always grateful for any help I get on the DUC so I wonder if someone can answer this:

Is this likely to be a software or hardware issue?

If I use the built in sound (and take the mbox 2 pro out of the equation) it works fine, the error goes away. With the mbox plugged in, any time I open a different session, I run the risk of the error coming back (about 50% of the time it comes back).

I did a reinstallation of PT10 yesterday and I have all the suggested things in place regarding power settings, wifi off, time machine off, prefs trashed, disk permissions reset and I still get the issue when I have the mbox connected.

If I need to buy something new, I can live with that. I just don't want to spend a few hundred quid on something to plug it in to find it has no effect.

I'm going to try and borrow a different interface and see if it makes a difference but if anyone has any info which may be useful I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Paul

crizdee 03-25-2012 11:29 AM

Re: Clock Source Error - General question

Hi,

In hardware setup you definitely have it set to internal clock yes?

And none of the inputs in the hardware setup are set to digital?

Chris

lexaudio 03-25-2012 11:40 AM

Sounds like the clock source is set to spidf.

paulrgmusic 03-25-2012 11:54 AM

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The clock is definitely set to internal (both in PT10 and in the Pref Panel) and I have no outboard gear at all. I had spdif available but not used in the IO so I've unchecked them just in case.

There are many posts from users with this error but there are never any solutions.

Paul

lexaudio 03-25-2012 12:02 PM

Try changing the USB cable.

paulrgmusic 03-25-2012 12:11 PM

I'll have to dig around and see if I've got a different firewire cable but I'll give it a shot.

Cheers
Paul

lexaudio 03-25-2012 12:16 PM

If you are getting clock errors not related to a digital input, it is likely the connection from the host to the interface.

Try blowing dirt and dust out of both ports as well, and change the firewire cable.

Try using a thicker FW cable as well. Those thin Apple cables I don't trust.

paulrgmusic 03-25-2012 12:56 PM

Thanks again, I'll try those things too.