Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT 12 availability (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406738)

paul_g 10-14-2019 01:20 PM

PT 12 availability

I upgraded my mid-2007 iMac from Lion (10.7.5) to El Capitan (10.11.6) last night. (of course I took a backup first).

After upgrading, PT 10.3 works, barely... It has issues communicating with the Factory 003. I've updated the drivers, etc... no luck.

The uninstaller didn't work, so I had to manually remove pro-tools 10.x

According to the compatibility matrix, PT 12.x is the only compatible version with 10.11.6, however, Avid no longer has it for sale, at least I can find.

It's replacement PT 2018 is not compatible with 10.11.6, so I'm stuck. I think my only option is to restore back to 10.7.5 unless anyone else has ideas...

Darryl Ramm 10-14-2019 01:28 PM

Re: PT 12 availability

What exact iMac is this EMC or model number please...

El Crapirain is a bit very unliked release by many of us.

Why did you upgrade/what problem are you trying to solve?

A core 2 Duo may be underpowered for your needs... it’s certainly under-minimum spec for any modern version of Pro Tools.

4GB really is not enough to run Pro Tools 111/12 or later.

What Exact Pro Tools license do you have. You can purchase perpetual upgrades that get you 10/11/current releases tgat will also run 12, and if you have a license for 12 and ask nicely Avid will deposit 12 downloads in your aaccount if they are not out there automatically.

Rolling back to a backup may be the best option.

paul_g 10-14-2019 03:57 PM

Re: PT 12 availability

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2541256)
What exact iMac is this EMC or model number please...

>>> Model Identifier: iMac7,1

El Crapirain is a bit very unliked release by many of us.

>>> I can see why, PT 10 / 11 isn't compatible, and one has to upgrade to PT 2018.

Why did you upgrade/what problem are you trying to solve?

>>> None, other than the fact my system is old, browsers aren't supported, I can't run any of the Line6 Helix software, etc...

A core 2 Duo may be underpowered for your needs... it’s certainly under-minimum spec for any modern version of Pro Tools.

>>> Perhaps you are correct. Seems to work fine at Lion and PT10, no issues through the years.

4GB really is not enough to run Pro Tools 111/12 or later.

>>> I agree 100%. Other World Computing states an old mid-2007 iMac can be upgraded from 4GiB to 6GiB of RAM with a (4+2) pack. I had intended on upgrading the RAM if all played nicely. Few years back I put in a 480GiB SSD drive and that works very well.

What Exact Pro Tools license do you have. You can purchase perpetual upgrades that get you 10/11/current releases tgat will also run 12, and if you have a license for 12 and ask nicely Avid will deposit 12 downloads in your aaccount if they are not out there automatically.

>>> I started on PT 7, and did upgrades from there. I purchased an upgrade for PT 9, which then got me to PT 10. That's it, I have no more licenses.

Rolling back to a backup may be the best option.

>>>> I did, thank goodness for Time Machine and my WD MyCloud! :) Everything is back working again on Lion & PT 10.