Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What equipment do I need to do voice-overs? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=80864)

Jack Sullivan 12-07-2001 04:07 PM

What equipment do I need to do voice-overs?

Can anyone give me advice on the basic equipment I need to record professional voice-overs. I will not need to do any music, just voices.

I would like use Pro Tools LE Digi 001 (do I need Factory?. Of course I realize I need a couple of good mikes and a small sound booth. Do I need a controller board and all that?

I have a great MAC G4 with a gig of memory and 175 gigs of space.

I mostly need advice on what to buy to do simple straight voice-over recordings. I will rarely have to record more than one voice at a time.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jack

JK Kestler 12-07-2001 04:39 PM

Re: What equipment do I need to do voice-overs?

My favorites....
Mic. (expensive)Klaus Modified Neumann U-87
or Brauner VM-1
(cheap) Rode NT-2
Mic Preamp. (expensive)Avalon M-5
(cheap)you might try a Focusrite Platinum (haven't tryed it)
Compressor. (expensive)Summit DL200 tube
(cheap)DBX 160x or Urie 1176
De-esser. not usually necessary unless you have to go to 8 bit or have to REALLY compress the hell out of it for PA playback

You can just get away with a good mic and preamp and compress within ProTools, but Compressing pre-ProTools allows you to print hotter and use all the bits.

Bastiaan 12-07-2001 05:41 PM

In my opinion you could just go with the audiomediaIII, a small mixer as a pre-amp and a good mike. I have to addmit i have no idea what a good pre-amp would cost. But i think the audiomediaIII with protools is something about $500 and the digi001 with build-in pre-amp is something about $1000. with the digi001 you will have 8 (easy)inputs (or 10 extra with a lot of equipment.....)simultaniasly but if you only want to do voice-over you dont need that. With the audiomediaIII however you will need some additional gear to get the mike working since it only offers line-input. Be sure to get a good mike!!!!! And with protools you get a set of fairly good compressors/limiters and reverbs...

Bastiaan

gerax 12-08-2001 06:23 AM

To me, the key elements for voice recordings are good mics and good preamp; since those are the most responsable elements in the chain for a good quality signal, before the A/D conversion; if you can afford it get at least a couple of good mics, one with a more defined upper range response for male voices (i.e. AKG 414 tL ), another with a solid low mid area, for female (Neumann U 87 for example); a good multi purpose condenser mic will work well though (Rode Nt1, MXL v 67 etc..); get a good preamp (Avalon 7V7, if you can afford, tL Audio, Focusrite, Joemeek VC1, there's loads to choose from), it's not a bad idea to get one with an EQ/ Comp section , so as to be able to fine tune the tone before going HD. As long as these pieces of gear are good, you are set with either AM III or 001, once digital you can do wonders with all of the plugins in Pt.

Hope this helps.

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Allen Hallada 12-08-2001 04:09 PM

I would forget about any preamps. Get the new Rode NTK mic www.rodemicrophones.com and plug it into the mic pre of Digi001. Shut off the phantom power. For Reverb use the Waves Rennaissance Reverb www.waves.com . This is a great combo for professional vocals. You can get the mic at www.bpmmusic.com for around 380.00 Retails for around 1000.00 and sounds better than alot of 2000.00 Neumanns. Check out the reviews, they are killer.
You can get the Waves Rennaisance Native bundle from Guitar Center for around 189.00 incluööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööe more about this Rode NTK...How does it compare to the NT2? Is it Tube or solidstate? How does the cost compare?

JMS40 12-10-2001 03:05 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/resu...=NTK&infomode= info
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JK Kestler:
Tell me more about this Rode NTK...How does it compare to the NT2? Is it Tube or solidstate? How does the cost compare?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gavinchan 12-10-2001 04:17 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JK Kestler:
Tell me more about this Rode NTK...How does it compare to the NT2? Is it Tube or solidstate? How does the cost compare?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am another proud owner of the NTK, (Tube mic)..... Every single vocalist that has gone through my humble little studio has commented on it.

Of course everyone has their preferred brand and flavour of mic, just like any other audio tool, and that's cool,(sometimes the product/platform wars can go on and on....). Suffice to say, if you buy this mic, you WONT REGRET IT! I certainly haven't. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JK Kestler 12-10-2001 04:52 PM

thanks

Allen Hallada 12-10-2001 09:12 PM

JK,
Check out the reviews at www.rodemicrophones.com
Rode NTK is like no mic I've ever used. Just did 4 sessions today and I just shook my head. Probably does more justice to a bad voice than it should. Hea hea.
You can get one for around 385.00 from www.bpmmusic.com Just tell Dewayne that I sent you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
No I'm not on commission, but these guys are great.
Allen [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

UV 12-11-2001 01:27 PM

First, make sure you don't forget the room - really well damped and isolated from outside noise. Otherwise, a dynamic micööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö ööööööööööööööö's etc. and only after you know what you're missing you can buy the big names. If anything, spend the big bucks on the mic - before the pre, the comp and the a/d.