Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   increasing volume on multiple breakpoints simultaneously (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=220869)

trevorlee 05-01-2008 09:32 AM

increasing volume on multiple breakpoints simultaneously

relatively new user here, as you'll soon see from my question. I've entered volume automation by pencil on audio track and would like to now go back and raise all of the breakpoints at the same time (i.e., raise the volume at all automation breakpoints in the track by the same relative amount), but can't figure out how to select them all and move them up simultaneously. Alternatively, I tried simply raising the fader gain on this track, but notice that once the track plays the automation reverts to its previous levels (i.e., I realize now that I set the fader unnecessarily low on this track in the mix to start with, and would like now to raise the relative volume of the entire track, but the existing volume automation that I've entered in the meantime is overriding any adjustments I now make to the fader). I also thought of just setting up a post-fader send on this track and adjust the volume upward from there, but then I'd have to raise the send fader above 0db (the aux send starts out at 0db when I set it up), which makes me uncomfortable. I know that I must be missing something simple here . . .

spkguitar 05-01-2008 11:08 AM

Re: increasing volume on multiple breakpoints simultaneously

Select the whole track/region an use the trim tool in the volume view.

French links 05-01-2008 12:21 PM

If I've really understood what your aim is, you want to raise the overall level of your track...right?
Then as told in the above post select the Trimmer tool and just go to the end of the track (where there are no anymore breakpoints).
Put your trimmer tool on the line (the trimmer will flip horizontally), click then the overall automation line which will be displayed dotted.
Just move it up as desired.
Using a selection is better to select only a part which needs only its breakpoints to be move, keeping the surrounding breakpoints at the same level.
Have fun.

trevorlee 05-01-2008 02:51 PM

Great -- this in combination with the following reply did the trick. Much thanks.

trevorlee 05-01-2008 02:57 PM

One follow-up question: The suggestions above solved the problem of, in effect, raising the level of the entire track through migrating all the volume automation breakpoints upward (which was, in fact, my concern at this point). For future reference, I'm wondering if there is also a way to raise all of the breakpoints in just one area of the overall track without having to manually click and drag each of the individual breakpoints in this one section of the track upward (say, all the breakpoints in just one verse out of a longer vocal track).

trevorlee 05-01-2008 02:57 PM

One follow-up question: The suggestions above solved the problem of, in effect, raising the level of the entire track through migrating all the volume automation breakpoints upward (which was, in fact, my concern at this point). For future reference, I'm wondering if there is also a way to raise all of the breakpoints in just one area of the overall track without having to manually click and drag each of the individual breakpoints in this one section of the track upward (say, all the breakpoints in just one verse out of a longer vocal track).

spkguitar 05-01-2008 04:20 PM

Yes. That is why I said select the track or region above. You can make a selection, then using the trim tool on just the selection.