Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Stop breathing!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=318276)

joeyd38 02-27-2012 12:14 PM

Stop breathing!!

Hey

Does anyone know how to remove/elimate breaths in recordings? I am currently using PT-SE and we are recording vocals but the artist takes puffs of breaths at times which you can hear in the songs.

THANKS!

Top Jimmy 02-27-2012 12:20 PM

Re: Stop breathing!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyd38 (Post 1906523)
Does anyone know how to remove/elimate breaths in recordings?

Editing. Highlight the breath with the selection tool and press the delete key.

YYR123 02-27-2012 01:15 PM

Nice quote by Mr. Bill

See mine below.....:D

SDDP 02-27-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1906525)
Editing. Highlight the breath with the selection tool and press the delete key.

For some folks, that's too complicated :)

Try using a plug in called "De-Breath" from Waves. Great plug for 1-2 hour Narr. reality shows. Just have to learn the curve as to not take out soft words or breaths that are too natural and need to be in there.

JFreak 02-28-2012 08:53 AM

Editing or automation are the best-sounding options, though the Waves DeBreath is a quick-and-dirty way of doing 80% the same...

humpback 02-28-2012 09:36 AM

This has worked for me for VO and vox tracks for years... Take a second to record some 'room tone'. 10-20 seconds is fine. From that room tone track, copy into your clipboard a selection - I highlight and copy a region whose duration is .440 (that is about as long as my normal breaths are, I've found over the years...). Highlight the breath, and paste in the room tone (I like using shuffle mode for this, but slip is good too). If it's too long, trim back, if it's too short, trim out. If your room is quiet — without any hum or real noise — there should generally be no clicks or pops at the region juncture. If you do get some clicks or pops at the juncture, very quick tiny xfades smooth them out as a quick solution, but of course - find and destroy the source of the noise!

I've done this for years and it preserves the timing of a read or vox pass (just deleting the breath can make things choppy or robotic sounding, IME).

I know that in long-format recordings (narration, BOT, &c), this can be tedious, but you have to listen to the whole thing for QC, anyway... The Smart Tool and knowing the quick-keys well? These are your friends for this!

I've used De-Breath, and its okay - I've seen some folks use it to really great success - but for great precision and control, this method is fantastic, IMO. Adding clip gain to this workflow now that 10 is out is amazing!

As always, YMMV... but try it, you'll like it — Hey Mikey!

Nathan

JFreak 02-28-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humpback (Post 1906872)
This has worked for me for VO and vox tracks for years... Take a second to record some 'room tone'. 10-20 seconds is fine. From that room tone track, copy into your clipboard a selection - I highlight and copy a region whose duration is .440 (that is about as long as my normal breaths are, I've found over the years...). Highlight the breath, and paste in the room tone (I like using shuffle mode for this, but slip is good too). If it's too long, trim back, if it's too short, trim out. If your room is quiet — without any hum or real noise — there should generally be no clicks or pops at the region juncture. If you do get some clicks or pops at the juncture, very quick tiny xfades smooth them out as a quick solution, but of course - find and destroy the source of the noise!

I've done this for years and it preserves the timing of a read or vox pass (just deleting the breath can make things choppy or robotic sounding, IME).

I know that in long-format recordings (narration, BOT, &c), this can be tedious, but you have to listen to the whole thing for QC, anyway... The Smart Tool and knowing the quick-keys well? These are your friends for this!

I've used De-Breath, and its okay - I've seen some folks use it to really great success - but for great precision and control, this method is fantastic, IMO. Adding clip gain to this workflow now that 10 is out is amazing!

As always, YMMV... but try it, you'll like it — Hey Mikey!

Nathan

This is great trick and makes the track sound more natural. However, many want to "gate" everything out and it's just as okay as well. Whatever you want to do.

One thing though. These problems could be avoided altogether if micing properly and not driving preamps to the hottest. But hey, we can always fix everything in the shrink-wrap ;D

humpback 02-28-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 1906886)
This is great trick and makes the track sound more natural. However, many want to "gate" everything out and it's just as okay as well. Whatever you want to do.

Ya know, I just am not a fan of gating, specially if its a naked voice (i.e., no music or FX around it). But again, I have heard some really nice tracks that have been gated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 1906886)
One thing though. These problems could be avoided altogether if micing properly and not driving preamps to the hottest. But hey, we can always fix everything in the shrink-wrap ;D

Agreed!

o.vuille 02-28-2012 12:02 PM

Nothing beats a voice talent who controls his breathing. No breathing at all is too clinical.

humpback 02-28-2012 01:14 PM

Exactly!