Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MIDI Region Export (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=173110)

nikki-k 07-25-2006 03:11 PM

MIDI Region Export

Hi!
I know there is no direct way to do this...but is there some indirect way? Combination of something? Another app that would do it???

Say I have a friend stop over an dplay some drums with V-Drums. I save the MIDI performance. The friend did a bunch of things that are (sort of) hard to do: rolls, diff. speed flams, cool fills, etc. I split these into MIDI Regions in PT. Now I want to save each region I made into it's own .mid file. This way, I can keep them in a folder, and simply drag n drop into a session if I need/want. Saves importing a larger MIDI file, and having to dig thru and find each *piece* I may want. Make sense?

I cannot find a way to do this in PT (HD 7). I even looked at Cubase/Nuendo. If it is not possible in any way, shape or form in PT...what app COULD allow me to do this???

filosofem 07-25-2006 09:19 PM

Re: MIDI Region Export

A suggestion, Nikki K, within Pro Tools, could be to Separate the Regions, to your requirements and place each newly named Region on it's own respective Track coinciding with the name of the Region and use Import Session Data.

p.s. works on LE 7

filosofem

nikki-k 07-26-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

A suggestion, Nikki K, within Pro Tools, could be to Separate the Regions, to your requirements and place each newly named Region on it's own respective Track coinciding with the name of the Region and use Import Session Data.

p.s. works on LE 7

Thx!
I am doing some extensive MIDI loop creation, cutting from raw e-drum tracks. I would say hundreds of MIDI regions that need to be individual .mid files in the end.

My only way to accomplish this right now is to have the original MIDI track there, select the bars I want, paste 'em into a MIDI track below it at bar one, mute the original, export-MIDI, then move that region to yet another, muted MIDI track below that, back inline with the original track. PITA, but it does what I need. It would be sooo cool to have the ability to right-click on a MIDI region, and then select "export as .mid file." But, we dont have either of those features. Next choice would eb to have a nice macro ability to create the multi-step task I described, with only a pause for me to name the resulting .mid file, and another to name the region itself. Oh well!

filosofem

[/QUOTE]

filosofem 07-26-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

I would say hundreds of MIDI regions that need to be individual .mid files in the end.

A Session File size concern did enter my mind.
Quote:

It would be sooo cool to have the ability to right-click on a MIDI region, and then select "export as .mid file."

Do you know why this is the case? A Region file is a Region file, is it not?

Nikki, thanks for not shooting me down, I wasn't sure if I'd crossed the line.

filosofem

nikki-k 07-26-2006 11:14 PM

No worries! I am very happy with your reply. Looking for other's ideas.

The work I am doing is creating MIDI loop type files, 1-4 bars. These will each need to be in their own .mid, for import into other apps/plugs/etc. It is like an hour or so of drumming, and without a direct "right-click region, export to .mid file" or macro capabilities, I am trying to see if maybe there is something I missed. Guess I should have just explained it liek that in the first post! LOL!

Thx again!