Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407979)

thelambliesdown 01-08-2020 09:14 PM

APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Hi,

I just got done installing 2 ssds on pcie cards...

I have installed Mojave on the 250gb SSD (which will run PT) and I am ready to format the second 500gb SSD (which will be dedicated to session/audio and plug ins/samples)...

Obviously there is no choice but to have APFS on the system drive due to mojave , but what would be the best choice of format type for the session drive? Best to have both be APFS since the system drive uses it?

I already know about incompatibility for sessions for others not using APFS if they open my sessions but what else is there to worry about?

Thanks

Darryl Ramm 01-08-2020 09:42 PM

Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

APFS... very robust advanced filesystem, and properly designed for Flash/SSD. Installed on hundreds of millions of devices :-)

thelambliesdown 01-08-2020 09:53 PM

Done, thanks again sir...

JFreak 01-09-2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelambliesdown (Post 2550360)
I already know about incompatibility for sessions for others not using APFS if they open my sessions but what else is there to worry about?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And you can always transfer sessions on even a lowly USB stick for compatibility.

Oliver M 01-11-2020 02:19 PM

I decided to delete my comment.

JFreak 01-11-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver M (Post 2550655)
I decided to delete my comment.

That would be healthy in many occasions when I for example post very late (or drunk). :cool:

Oliver M 01-12-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2550666)
That would be healthy in many occasions when I for example post very late (or drunk). :cool:

😂 .

How much APFS experience do you have and for how long? Curious... 😉

JFreak 01-12-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver M (Post 2550751)
How much APFS experience do you have and for how long?

Since they introduced it in High Sierra, and I really like it.

For example, you have 1TB storage, you can create several 1TB "partitions" in it, obviously as long as total used space stays below 1TB. This is very handy when you need to clone system drives for testing. No need to pre-determine how large the partition need to be. Only used space gets used.

Oliver M 01-14-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2550771)
Since they introduced it in High Sierra, and I really like it.

For example, you have 1TB storage, you can create several 1TB "partitions" in it, obviously as long as total used space stays below 1TB. This is very handy when you need to clone system drives for testing. No need to pre-determine how large the partition need to be. Only used space gets used.

I do this since years with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Oliver M 01-14-2020 11:50 AM

Besides that, how do you repair drives and partitions? DiskWarrior is a no go for APFS and how it looks like never will be.