Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   True Peak Normalization: Workflow? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405218)

JediJoker 06-15-2019 12:46 AM

True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

When I send out a mix to a client—at any stage in the process from rough to final—after printing, I like to peak normalize the print to a reasonable level so that the mix can be comfortably listened to on any equipment. I've been using -2.0dBFS, but this can lead to issues with intersample peaks above 0dBTP for dynamic material. Furthermore, peaks above -2.0dBTP can translate to above 0dBTP (or even above 0dBFS) when resampling, bit-reducing, or encoding to lossy formats.

To remedy this issue, I'd like to be able to easily peak normalize to -2.0dBTP within Pro Tools. Unfortunately, the Audio Suite Normalize plugin is old as dirt and doesn't have this capability, and likely will never be updated to include it. Are there any third party plugins to accomplish this, without limiting? Cursory searching here and on Google yielded no results.

Barring that, what is your true peak normalization workflow?

musicman691 06-15-2019 05:07 AM

Re: True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

I don't do normalization as such. I work to K14 metering followed by a true peak limiter like Fabfilter Pro-L set to -1dbfs. All on my 2-bus. Don't like normalization plugins as for me they make stuff sound like crap.

amagras 06-15-2019 07:28 AM

I do this too ^ but you could just normalize to minus whatever you want then use a true peak limiter with threshold set to that same value.

TOM@METRO 06-15-2019 08:04 AM

Normalization is not my preferred solution either. Just a subtle peak limiter does the job for me.

musicman691 06-15-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2529476)
Normalization is not my preferred solution either. Just a subtle peak limiter does the job for me.

Agreed. Every normalization utility I've come across (even from Sony/Sonnox) makes things sound worse than before.

JediJoker 06-15-2019 12:01 PM

I prefer to leave any limiting to mastering. I've never found the Audio Suite Normalize plugin to be anything but transparent. I haven't done any ABX or null tests, but nothing in a normalized print has ever made me go, "Huh, that sounds wrong. What happened?" It always sounds just as I expect it to. It should be no different than applying gain to a file (like clip gain).

At present, my workflow for true peak normalization is thus:

1) Print in real time
2) Export print
3) Run file through MAAT DROffline MKII to get true peak level
4) Open in Aurchitect Myriad (R.I.P.) and apply gain to bring true peak level to ~-2.0dBTP

Should be unnecessary in 2019. Any DAW worth its salt should be providing native true peak metering and workflows.

musicman691 06-15-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediJoker (Post 2529491)
I prefer to leave any limiting to mastering. I've never found the Audio Suite Normalize plugin to be anything but transparent. I haven't done any ABX or null tests, but nothing in a normalized print has ever made me go, "Huh, that sounds wrong. What happened?" It always sounds just as I expect it to. It should be no different than applying gain to a file (like clip gain).

At present, my workflow for true peak normalization is thus:

1) Print in real time
2) Export print
3) Run file through MAAT DROffline MKII to get true peak level
4) Open in Aurchitect Myriad (R.I.P.) and apply gain to bring true peak level to ~-2.0dBTP

Should be unnecessary in 2019. Any DAW worth its salt should be providing native true peak metering and workflows.

It's possible in any daw, including PT, as long as you have the right plugins to do the job. What I outlined is but one way to get the job done. And a heck of a lot less work than what you're doing. Limiting can be used at any point in the process; I find the Fabfilter limiter to do a good true peak catch and correct.

JediJoker 06-15-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2529492)
It's possible in any daw, including PT, as long as you have the right plugins to do the job. What I outlined is but one way to get the job done. And a heck of a lot less work than what you're doing. Limiting can be used at any point in the process; I find the Fabfilter limiter to do a good true peak catch and correct.

But I'm not interested in "catch and correct." I want the dynamic range left intact, with the transients as they are, simply peaking at -2.0dBTP.

amagras 06-15-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediJoker (Post 2529494)
But I'm not interested in "catch and correct." I want the dynamic range left intact, with the transients as they are, simply peaking at -2.0dBTP.

Then do what I suggested above. I use the Waves WLM plus

JediJoker 06-15-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2529495)
Then do what I suggested above. I use the Waves WLM plus

That just doesn't sound like it will do what I want. I'm going to ping MAAT about offering DROffline MKII as a plugin for measuring loudness and peak levels of files within DAWs. Then, I could simply apply gain to match -2.0dBTP.

BScout 06-15-2019 01:58 PM

https://nugenaudio.com/lm-correct

BScout 06-15-2019 02:03 PM

Also Izotope Elements should be able to do it (which Pro Tools gave away for free as a gift) within Pro Tools. Full RX7 or Ozone can.

amagras 06-15-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediJoker (Post 2529497)
That just doesn't sound like it will do what I want. I'm going to ping MAAT about offering DROffline MKII as a plugin for measuring loudness and peak levels of files within DAWs. Then, I could simply apply gain to match -2.0dBTP.

"Doesn't sound like" won't take you far. Did you try it?

musicman691 06-16-2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2529506)

I doubt he did. Waves has demos so it would be worth a shot. I think the OP doesn't want to consider anything other than his original workflow. We've given him some worthy ideas along with the thing of most normalization plugins make the audio sound bad. But Waves WLM will do the job he wants and I think Flux has a plugin that will do the job as well. There's so many ways to skin this cat ;)

JediJoker 06-17-2019 02:05 AM

True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2529499)

$400 and that broadcast-focused feature list are waaaaaay overkill for what I'm trying to do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2529500)
Also Izotope Elements should be able to do it (which Pro Tools gave away for free as a gift) within Pro Tools. Full RX7 or Ozone can.

I do have RX Elements as a loyalty reward. I'll look into that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2529506)

I just don't think you quite understand what I'm trying to accomplish (although I thought I spelled it out). You're suggesting I gain the file up/down to where it's just kissing the -2.0dBTP threshold? Seems wonky to me. I'd rather have offline analysis without the limiter to worry about, ideally plus the ability to change gain within the same plugin.

Regardless, the workflow I used on my latest project:

1) Print audio in real time
2) Analyze printed file in real time using MAAT DRMeter MKII (multitasking while listening to print for problems)
3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0dBTP
4) Export to desired format(s)

It worked pretty well. Not ideal, but better than using three different programs.

musicman691 06-17-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediJoker (Post 2529610)

I just don't think you quite understand what I'm trying to accomplish (although I thought I spelled it out). You're suggesting I gain the file up/down to where it's just kissing the -2.0dBTP threshold? Seems wonky to me. I'd rather have offline analysis without the limiter to worry about, ideally plus the ability to change gain within the same plugin.

2) Analyze printed file in real time using MAAT DRMeter MKII (multitasking while listening to print for problems)
3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0bBTP

It worked pretty well. Not ideal, but better than using three different programs.

Andrei is suggesting you try the program he mentioned. Did you? Have you looked at the other programs mentioned and demoe'd them? Probably not. And as far as manually changing the output levels that's part of doing good work and NOT wonky. People do it all the time.

But if you want a single program to do the job, in addition to Waves WLM take a look at Junger Audio Level Magic https://www.flux.audio/project/junge...o-level-magic/ Not cheap but then again good tools are worth the money.

You're going to have to get out of your comfort level rut and open your horizons to other/better ways of working.

amagras 06-17-2019 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediJoker (Post 2529610)

3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0dBTP

Then keep using your system. What seems wonky to me is to spend days in a forum asking for a quicker way to do something you already have a solution for.
BTW, I wouldn't complain about a $400 plugin when you want a company that charges $1000 for an EQ to make a plugin that specifically matches your workflow.

musicman691 06-17-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2529616)
Then keep using your system. What seems wonky to me is to spend days in a forum asking for a quicker way to do something you already have a solution for.
BTW, I wouldn't complain about a $400 plugin when you want a company that charges $1000 for an EQ to make a plugin that specifically matches your workflow.

You explained it perfectly my friend.

I'll tell you something - I sure wouldn't want the op to go anywheres near my work. I spend too much time on it to have someone muck it up with normalization. Manual gain ride with a light limiter; watch the metering and trust the ears.

amagras 06-17-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2529619)
You explained it perfectly my friend.

I'll tell you something - I sure wouldn't want the op to go anywheres near my work. I spend too much time on it to have someone muck it up with normalization. Manual gain ride with a light limiter; watch the metering and trust the ears.

Or clip gain and analysis.
We've only been just trying to help here.