Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OT - 60 Years After D-Day (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=107854)

The Weed 06-06-2004 06:51 PM

OT - 60 Years After D-Day

Just wanted to thank all the vets for what we have. To paraphrase Dizzy Gillespie, "No them, no us and the way we are able to live today." Many of them fought not just to liberate Europe or overcome Facism, but so that my generation and every generation after wouldn't have to again go to war. Whatever your political ideology, beliefs or attitude today, you are free to have them because of the sacrifices of the Allies. A friend of mine always sends the following to me on Rememberance Day and I'm glad he does:

MARINE CORP PADRE DENNIS O’BRIEN

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us, "Freedom of the Press."

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us, "Freedom of Speech."

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the, "Freedom to Demonstrate."

It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the, "Right to a Fair Trial."

It is the soldier, "Who salutes the flag, serves under the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

In Rememberance and Gratitude,

Bazzle 06-06-2004 08:54 PM

Re: OT - 60 Years After D-Day

Poignant, Bruce.

My Dad, who was on the beach that day in France, called today from his hospital bed to wish me a Happy Birthday.
He is 90 years old and not long for this world.He was spending the day watching the TV coverage of the anniversary, and was very overcome with emotion as we talked.
It is something that has haunted him for 60 years.And he is very happy that my birthday is on the anniversary of D Day.He say's it means he will never forget it.I believe this was the last birthday wish I will ever get from him.

nightshadecrisis 06-07-2004 01:01 AM

very thoughtful, Bruce. Truly a very important day in the history of the world.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, he sounds like a true hero.

Best,

ev

The Weed 06-07-2004 01:20 PM

Baz,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Unfortunately, this will be the last major anniversay of D-Day that most if not all of the veterans involved will attend. I just read a piece from an American paper that said there are about 4 million WWII vets left in the States and they are passing at the rate of 1,100 a day.

I also found it interesting that this year not only the Russians made their first appearance with Vladimir Putin in attendance, but French President Jacques Chirac also invited German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and he attended. It was a first for the Germans as well. He summed up the reconciliation nicely, "France's memory of June 6, 1944, is different than that of Germany," Schroeder said. "Nevertheless, we share the same common conviction: We want peace."

Also nice to see the French people still remember and honor. This excerpt is from the Boston Herald:

"People in uniform seem to get a different reaction," said Army Spc. Aiden Bradley of Milton, who was practicing with his artillery unit yesterday for a ceremonial 21-gun salute tomorrow at Utah Beach. "It's definitely breath-taking. The people have been fantastic."

In the sands of Omaha Beach, someone wrote, in huge letters, "God Bless the U.S.A."...

While the young men and women currently serving in the American military have been embraced with open arms, the soldiers who fought here 60 years ago are revered.

William Tucker of Quincy, who landed in Ste-Mere-Eglise with the 82nd Airborne Division on D-Day has returned here many times over the years and said it is always the same. "I was at the American cemetery (above Omaha Beach on Wednesday), and a group of French schoolchildren came up and asked me to sign their notebooks for them. I wish the kids in the United States were like that. The people here know what we did for them, and they make sure their children and grandchildren never forget."

I was particularly impressed with two things. One was the ceremonies at Arromanche. I caught the last part and the voice over ended the event with something like, "This is hallowed ground. There will always be men and women in Normandy who remember. Thank you." I couldn't find a transcript anywhere, but that was the spirit.

The second was Paul Martin's speech at the Juno Beach ceremonies. I don't know if he wrote the lines himself, if they are from somewhere else or if a speech writer crafted them, but they really hit home. This is an excerpt:

"Men fell, and still they took the beach. Men fell and still they took the fortifications. They moved inland," Martin said.

"The waters of the English Channel and the winds of the Normandy coast have erased the footprints these men left in Juno Beach. But not even the great tides of time can wash away the deep impressions they have made in our national history," he said."

"When these soldiers, these men of nerve, are gone, their children will still come here and their grandchildren. ... Canadians will come," Martin said.

"We will come to this lonely patch of beauty to look upon the beaches, to reflect, to marvel, to feel the tears rise and the heart pound, to say a silent thank-you," Martin said.

While our Canadian Prime Minister was obviously talking about Canadians, it's true for all who participated.

Cheers,

graveleye 06-07-2004 01:49 PM

thanks Bruce.