Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Physical iLok Vs Digital iLok (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408946)

Pete Morten 03-18-2020 03:36 AM

Physical iLok Vs Digital iLok

Hi there.

This may seem like a simple enquiry, but here goes...
I've been running my Protools 2019 via my Cloud based iLok License Manager for my studio work. However I'm looking to buy a physical iLok key, namely the 'PACE iLok V3 Smart Security Key'predominately for live shows where a venue's WIFI isn't always reliable?.

I read somewhere that a physical iLok isn't necessary to boot PT, but is that just because digital iLok's exist too?. I just want some definitive clarification on this before I purchase it.

I only want the physical key, so I can work offline, without having to be connected to the internet,

Thanks for any insight shared.

Best
Pete

musicman691 03-18-2020 04:06 AM

Re: Physical iLok Vs Digital iLok

PT will boot from either a physical or cloud iLok; the existence of one doesn't depend on the existence of the other. I don't trust any cloud service period. Physical iLok here along with a second iLok as a spare and ZDT coverage on each. The only way I work. If you're worried about the connection between a physical iLok and the computer get a dongle buddy short extension cable to go between the iLok and computer.

Peripheral to this is that actual physical connection. iLoks are USB2 and have been known to have issues working with USB3 ports. The usual remedy is to have a powered USB hub between the devices. Also if you're on a Windows machine be sure to turn off all power saving measures to the USB ports as Windows by default (even on desktops) has the ports set to turn off after a certain amount of time. These are things that people can sometimes forget to think about.

Pete Morten 03-18-2020 04:49 AM

Hi Jack.

Thank you for your considered and detailed response.

If I may ask what is... "ZDT coverage"?.

I'm running my PT system on an iMac that has USB 3 Ports.
So, as this is likely to cause issues, can you recommend a powered
USB Hub as a go between?.

Thank you for your continued insight. Much appreciated.

Best
Pete

seanmccoy 03-18-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Morten (Post 2557398)
Hi Jack.

Thank you for your considered and detailed response.

If I may ask what is... "ZDT coverage"?.

I'm running my PT system on an iMac that has USB 3 Ports.
So, as this is likely to cause issues, can you recommend a powered
USB Hub as a go between?.

Thank you for your continued insight. Much appreciated.

Best
Pete

ZDT is iLok's insurance coverage. For $30 a year you're guaranteed instant replacement of licenses if your iLok is lost or damaged. Best to keep a spare iLok on hand for this.

JFreak 03-18-2020 09:17 AM

Also need Theft and Loss Coverage but all of that is explained in ilok.com

musicman691 03-18-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanmccoy (Post 2557414)
ZDT is iLok's insurance coverage. For $30 a year you're guaranteed instant replacement of licenses if your iLok is lost or damaged. Best to keep a spare iLok on hand for this.

And ZDT for that second iLok as well. ZDT only covers one iLok at a time and is not transferable to another iLok.

As to recommending a hub - that's something I can't speak to as I have all USB2 ports so don't need one as such.

albee1952 03-18-2020 03:14 PM

Given the nature of wifi, I will use a physical iLok 99% of the time:o

JimaSound 03-19-2020 11:00 AM

It is also important to check and make sure that TLC is still on for your iLok's. Reading this post...I realize that I have not been asked to renew my TLC coverage for my main iLok (it had been more than 3 months). I logged into the license manager and saw that for some unknown reason TLC had been turned off.

musicman691 03-19-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimaSound (Post 2557502)
It is also important to check and make sure that TLC is still on for your iLok's. Reading this post...I realize that I have not been asked to renew my TLC coverage for my main iLok (it had been more than 3 months). I logged into the license manager and saw that for some unknown reason TLC had been turned off.

It was turned off precisely because you have NOT interacted with the ILM s/w in 90 days. I don't think they send out a renewal notice for TLC.

JFreak 03-19-2020 12:01 PM

Sure, they won't ask you to refresh you need to schedule it yourself. Can refresh every day if you want to, but need to know when your deadline is about to arrive